Re: [Elecraft_K3] Factory Assembled

Fred Townsend

Mark I agree with you that because someone has done a task before it doesn't mean they will do a superior job of doing it again. Everyone has heard of the lemon cars Detroit has put out. Everyone has bad days. Now I think Elecraft has an enlightened management that is going to motivate its workers to do a superior job than to Detroit but it doesn't guarantee that will always happen. The guarantee is if, in those rare occasions, they do make a mistake they will make it right and without making the customer jump through hoops. Attaboy Elecraft.

On the other side I may be conceited in thinking I do a superior job at assembling my kit than to Elecraft. Why? First I am meticulous in what I do. I double check everything and I am never bored because I have done the task a thousand times before. Second if Elecraft has a weak spot it is in their hardware. They use parts that corrode and they use split lock washers as spacers. I don't. Where I see lesser hardware I throw it away and use my own stainless. That includes using nuts with built-in star lock washers instead of a split-lock and separate nuts. My attitude is it's much simpler to build it right the first time than fix it later.

Fred, AE6QL

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Apr 12, 2014 7:59 PM
To: Elecraft_K3@... garantee
Subject: Re: [Elecraft_K3] Factory Assembled

> There are people on this group that have
> built more than one, ask them if the
> 2nd, 3rd, 4th units went together
> faster/better as they built more than
> one.

Sure the 2nd, 3rd, etc. would go together faster. So what?

All properly assembled K3s should have the same performance. If
someone is looking at an older K3 (low serial number) the real
question is "what mods have been completed?"

Mark AD5SS -- with a K3 in the low 800's

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Jim > Anything greater than one unit is far
> better in a "manufacturing" environment.
>
> Take just about any task. The second
> time around is easier/faster. The third
> time around is even easier/faster.
>
> There are people on this group that have
> built more than one, ask them if the
> 2nd, 3rd, 4th units went together
> faster/better as they built more than
> one.
>
> Jim
> WA9ZBV

Join Elecraft-K3@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.