Re: [Elecraft_K3] K3 & TMP connectors

Hi Jarmo,

Thanks for the additional input.

We looked at all of these connector families. They all have serious disadvantages, which is why we (and many RF product manufacturers) are using TMP connectors.

TMP connectors occupy far less space than SMA/SMB/SMC. They're far more rugged than MCX/MMCX/U.FL. And they're a small fraction of the cost of any of them. Switching to other connectors would force us to redesign the K3 to be larger, change most of the internal shielding, and increase the price by something in the hundred-dollar range.

Better to just live with the little twist required to get TMP connectors plugged in :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Dec 30, 2013, at 12:30 PM, Jarmo Blomster <jarmoblo@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Wayne,
I wish to see something like SMA/SMB/SMC or maybe MCX or MMCX or even U.FL.
They are also very small, have excellent RF performance, can be directly mount on PC boards and when you connect them you know when they are in place.
This is just my wish list to Santa.

73 de OH8KVA Jarmo

2013/12/30 Wayne Burdick <n6kr@elecraft.com>
Jarmo,

TMP plugs are a little fussy to insert, I agree, but they solve multiple problems and are not easily replaced with something else. They have very high retention; are very small; directly mount on PC boards; and can be arranged so they contact sheet metal when required for grounding. They have excellent RF performance, too.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Dec 30, 2013, at 12:20 AM, Jarmo Blomster <jarmoblo@gmail.com> wrote:

If I should choose just one, then it is 5) better sockets for internal coaxial cables.

Yahoo Groups Links