Re: [Elecraft_K3] Audio Protection Assembly and parts list question

Mel Farrer <farrerfolks@...>

No update on the search issue, but have the Audio Protection Assembly and installation instructions.  I can't be more pleased with Elecraft on this issue.  They sent out a replacement DSP PCB assembly so I would not have to do the repair.  I will do the Audio and DSP installation at the same time.  Don't want to open up the lady more times than necessary.  KUDOs to the customer support group at Elecraft.

Mel, K6KBE

On Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:11 PM, Mel Farrer
Dave,

I talked to the people at Elecraft and they gave me "E numbers" for the part U1.  It turned out to be incorrect.  I have the ability to handle parts down to 0805.  Below that it turns out to be salt and pepper, hi.  I don't do gate arrays, but single ended SMD's are a regular fare.

Only with a microscope of course and a steady hand, hi.  Yes, you need the vacuum solder sucker and correct Metcal soldering tips.

The latest add on to correct the potential of audio IC failure is the audio protection assembly, Elecraft internal part number is E850506.  I do not have the installation information and will get it tomorrow.  I will wait to get the correct LM4950 before doing the dis-assembly and repair.  While the dis-assembly is a chore, it is good that we have the Elecraft support to walk us though it.

I always check to the power.

Mel, K6KBE

On Sunday, December 22, 2013 5:56 PM, Dave Hachadorian wrote:

The speaker amp is on the schematic for the DSP Board.  The IC is an LM4950TS.  I’m sure you could specify that you want U1 on the DSP Board.  Are you sure you are up to doing this installation yourself?  I thought I was pretty good, but decided to pass, after removing U1, and taking a good close look at how close together those solder pads are.

Now what is this protection PCB you are talking about?  I don’t see anything like that on the web site.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2013 3:08 PM
Subject: [Elecraft_K3] Audio Protection Assembly and parts list question

After the diagnoses that the U1 had failed and contacting Elecraft for the protection PCB, it arrived without any installation instructions??????  Unless someone has them I will have to wait until tomorrow and contact them direct........

Second, I have exhausted all efforts to locate a K3 parts list.  Not withstanding going through endless menus without luck trying to find any reference to the "EXXXXXX" part ordering information.  While ordering the above assembly I also ordered the U1 by a number given me.  No joy, the part sent was not U1.

Anyone found the EXXXXXXX parts list on their web site?  I know it must be there.

Mel, K6KBE