RTTY Operation with K3

n3me@...

I have fouled up my K3 / MMTTY setup and cannot find the fix - I can decode RTTY signals, but not transmit a readable signal - please help!

Have radio in DATA mode, AFSK A, 45 BPS, Pitch set to 2125-170

Using Dell laptop computer.

K3 shows red transmit light, but no rtty output

Here is my setup:

1. Connect �Line In� port on rear of transceiver to computer �Line Out� using a monaural cable.

2. Connect �Line Out� port on rear of transceiver to computer �Line In� using a stereo cable.

3. Turn the Elecraft K3 transceiver �On�.

4. Using PTT and used the �CONFIG� button to set the K3 �PTT�KEY� to rts-dtr.

5. Press the �MENU� button briefly and �MAIN� will display on K3
Turn the �VFO B� knob until �MIC SEL� is displayed
Turn the �VFO A� knob until �Line In� is displayed
Press the �MENU� button briefly to turn off the �MENU�

6. Press and hold the �MENU� button until �CONFIG� is displayed on the K3
Turn the �VFO B� knob until �RS232� is displayed
Turn the �VFO A� knob until �38400 b� is displayed
Press the �MENU� button briefly to turn off the �MENU�

7. Turn the �CMP/PWR/MON� knob on the K3 transceiver to "PWR" and set to 50 watts.

Press the �VOX� button to set �VOX� to �On�
Press the �MODE� button repeatedly to set �MODE� to �DATA�
Press and hold the �DATA MD� button until �45 bPS� is displayed on the K3
Turn the �VFO B� knob until �AFSK A� is displayed on the K3
Briefly press and release the �DATA MD� button
The transceiver is now set for �AFSK RTTY� operation for as long as the �MODE� remains set to �TX DATA�.

8. Press and hold the �PITCH� button and set �MARK/SHIFT� by turning the �VFO A� knob. It is suggested to use �2125 � 170�.

10. For RTTY operation, press and hold the K3 �Data Mode� button and when �TX Data� is displayed on the radio, turn the �VFO B� knob until �AFSK A� and �45 bPs� is displayed on the radio. This setting uses lower sideband and the dial displays the suppressed carrier frequency.

11. Press the �TEST� button so the K3 display shows, �TX TEST�. Then transmit RTTY and view the ALC Meter. The level of input from the computer sound card should display 4 solid bars and the 5th bar should blink on and off. The fifth bar indicates the onset of ALC. If your level is below or above this display level, turn the ???? knob to adjust to this level.
When the level is set correctly, press the �TEST� button to return the K3 to �TX NORM�.

What am I doing wrong? There is no reading on the ALC meter and no decernable signal being heard.

Thank you.

Join Elecraft-K3@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.