Re: K3 Specifications (.pdf) posted on Elecraft website <eom>

bill_w4zv <w0zv@...>

--- In Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com, "CR" <vk3he@...> wrote:

I agree with you, its an excellent result for the K3. I would rather
own and operate a radio where the K3 sits on the performance table,
rather than have something as poor as a FT2000 thinking that it is
superior regardless of what the numbers say.
Craig you prompted me to go read the FT-2000 list. I had not seen Rob
Sherwood's recent measurements. Here are the key results for anyone
who has not seen them yet (not yet on his website but will be added soon):

Dynamic Range 20 kHz 6k roofing 90 dB
Dynamic Range 20 kHz 3k roofing 81 dB
Dynamic Range 2 kHz 6k roofing 61 dB
Dynamic Range 2 kHz 3k roofing 63 dB

Blocking above noise floor at 100 kHz spacing, AGC On 120 dB

Phase noise (normalized) at 10 kHz spacing: 122 dBc

Noise floor, SSB bandwidth 14 MHz, Preamp Off -117 dBm
Noise floor, SSB bandwidth 14 MHz, Preamp 1 On -124 dBm
Noise floor, SSB bandwidth 14 MHz, Preamp 2 On -134 dBm

These results are generally consistent with previous measurements by
Inrad (W2VJN) and ARRL. There is surely some serious arm-waving going
on trying to justify why these results are "superior regardless of
what the numbers say"! :-) What a hoot to read.

73, Bill