Re: Good news... or bad?

Joe Stofko <wb1aiu@...>

Craig,

I meant nothing negative, at all, with my comment and, am
somewhat surprised that you see it that way! I happen to agree that
I would prefer receiving a rig that was done right the first time,
rather than having to send it back. As for "leaving Elecraft alone"
I don't think my comment is a bother to Eric and the gang, at all.
Sure, I am as anxious as everyone else... BUT, I would not want to
wait an extra two months, or more, without some "concession" on the
part of Elecraft. They've had a decent sized chunk of money from me
since back in May...

Joe - WB1AIU

--- In Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com, "CR" <vk3he@...> wrote:

Why does it really matter?

I would rather have the product go out of the door right than have
Mk1, Mk2, and Mk3 etc. Even if the k3 is delayed for 2 extra
months
i would not care. I would rather prefer things being done right
than
have something thats been rushed out of the factory door.

While i appreciate everyones desire to own and get their hands on
the
rig that they have ordered, i think we should all leave Elecraft
alone until the K3 is released. I am sure Elecraft does not need
unfounded negative publicity based on minor constructive feedback
from
beta testers. After all the radio is not released yet and thats
just
part of the product development cycle.

Frankly there is no real alternative that will be as good as the
K3 on
the horizon yet. The K3 would be well worth the wait, even if
there
are delays and minor changes along the way!

Craig

--- In Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Stofko" <wb1aiu@> wrote:

Here are some comments from K3 beta tester, N6XI, posted on the
Elecraft reflector…

With statements like "… front panel labels are being revised.",
one
can only wonder if first flight shipments are still on track to
begin
next week.

Joe – WB1AIU

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 23:42:38 -0700
From: "Rick Tavan N6XI" <rtavan@>
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 Update: It keeps getting better...
To: "Elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@>

Folks keep asking me how the field test is going. I think it's
going
very well. Almost all the changes Elecraft has published have
been
software. The hardware I have seen is very stable. There were a
few
missing pull-up resistors and a ground jumper which we added
easily
in
the field. The front panel labels are being revised. But the
hardware
behind this software-defined radio is proving itself remarkably
close
to final detail and quality. So I have been telling those who
ask
that
the K3 field test is really SMOP, what we call in the software
industry a "simple matter of programming." That big job is
proceeding
well, with new features, fixes and tuneups coming through every
few
days. They are a snap to download and with each download the K3
keeps
getting better and better.

One of the more recent features added to the K3 software was
VOX. It
was worth the wait! This is one of the smoothest I've used and
the
anti-VOX is perfect. I've yet to have speaker audio trip it.
It's
easy
to adjust gain to match various microphones so that relaxed,
quiet
speech triggers the VOX instantly but normal breathing and
ambient
noise very rarely cause false triggers. Pickup is very fast - no
need
to prefix a transmission with "Uhh..." to avoid losing a
syllable.
There are no switching transients, either, so I can set the
delay
very
short. Superb!

73,