FW: [Elecraft_K3] Re: new power supply

Dennis Ashworth

UPDATE – the AD5X article referenced below does speak to the voltage change process. I took the spec sheet a bit too literally concluding that if marketed at 120VAC, it wasn’t capable of easy changeover to 240, 50 or 60Hz. Incorrect.

I just ordered mine.

Dennis, K7FL

From: Dennis Ashworth [mailto:dennisashworth49@...] On Behalf Of Dennis Ashworth
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2011 11:36 AM
To: Elecraft_K3@...
Subject: RE: [Elecraft_K3] Re: new power supply

I would take a chance on this, but unfortunately it doesn’t appear to have a switchable 120/240 VAC input.

This would be a must (IMHO) for DXpedition applications.

Dennis, K7FL

From: Elecraft_K3@... [mailto:Elecraft_K3@...] On Behalf Of Pete Smith
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2011 3:17 AM
To: Elecraft_K3@...
Subject: Re: [Elecraft_K3] Re: new power supply

Anyone needing a switcher might take a look at the Samlec SEC 1235M.
AD5X did a thorough bench workup on one and found it clean - the writeup
is on his web site at
<http://www.ad5x.com/images/Presentations/SEC1235M%20Review.pdf>. I
have had mine for 18 months, and am very pleased with it.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000

On 10/6/2011 11:30 PM, blueyondermining wrote:
> FWI:
>
> While I've hung onto my old SS-30 without the meters for emergencies/backup---I now use an Alinco DM340MV(monster) linear power supply. I was getting a lot of weird swishing/whooshing RFI out of the switcher, especially on the higher bands. Rather than go crazy I decided to try a nice, quiet linear PS instead. Now I am a happy camper!
>
>
>
> --- In Elecraft_K3@..., "n6vi"<n6vi@...> wrote:
>> Hi, Barry.
>>
>> I have used both an RS-35 and an SS-30 for many years and most recently on my K-3 with no issues from either supply. The RS-35 sits under the shack table, and the SS-30 goes on contest expeditions. Your RS-35 can be made better than new with some upgrades described in detail at www.repeaterbuilder.com. I'd suggest that, unless the transformer is faulty, you fix it up and keep it for another few decades.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Marty N6VI
>>
>> --- In Elecraft_K3@..., barry whittemore wrote:
>>> My old Astron RS-35 is starting to overheat and shut down. I am going to buy another supply and would like to know if anyone has any experience with the Astron ss-30 switcher supply? . . .
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>

Join Elecraft-K3@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.