Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 20:03:34 +0100
From: "Dave Sharred" <g3nkc@...>
Subject: [Elecraft_K3] K3 - Kit build observations for comment
To: <Elecraft_K3@...>

Hi;

Myself and a good friend (G4XUM) have recently
purchased and built up 2 K3's. All went pretty
smoothly, but there were a few observations. Our
radios were pretty well loaded, with 100W PA, and
2nd receiver too.

1) I didn't enjoy putting in the 2nd Rx,
neither would I like to remove it again!&nbsp! ;
Anyone considering a purchase would be well advised
to be sure that they specify all of their required
filters first, since the filters live under the 2nd
RX.

2) I am not sure if you can install the 2nd
KSYN3 board (for dual rx) before 1st test; but this
would seem to be a good idea, if you intend fitting
the 100W PA - access is severely restricted when
the KPA 3 enclosure is installed

3) The flying lead from the Ant sockets to
their connectors - I would have expected these to be
coaxial, not just flying leads; the ANT 1 one in
particular looks too long (see p24 on the Kit
manual). Is this in any way detrimental to 6m
operation ??

We are looking forward to using our new radios on
our trips in future. We already used 2 K3's last
year from S79K; and clearly were impressed enough to
buy some for ourselves!

73

Dave

G3NKC