Topics

WSJT-x TX CUT OFF

Mark Gottlieb

Edited

While relatively new, 3 months, to the FDM-DUO, I have used WSJT-X for several years with both FLEX and ANAN hardware.  I am now noticing a problem with TX in that it will cut off during TX intermittently.  No problem with audio or decoding.  I have used the same settings for the last two months, in WSJT-X, with no issues.   I am controlling PTT with CAT in the software.   This, of course, could have many causes.  I think I am narrowing it down to this particular computer (DELL VUE tablet  WIN10).  I am using all three cables when this occurs.  Assuming it might be the cable interface, which one of them should I unplug from the computer?

Thanks

Mark
KK2L

Neil Smith G4DBN

Does the TX cutout last for about two seconds Mark? I had a problem on this PC and it was related to a specific USB card.  The audio on TX would stop for two seconds, then just carry on as normal.  PTT didn't drop, it was just the TX audio stopped.  It wasn't just WSJT-X that was affected.  If I generated a tone in Audacity and used that as the audio source, the same thing hapopened.  It happened at random intervals, from once every few minutes to maybe 3 times a minute.

The card was an after-market USB 3.0 four-port type.  If I moved all of the DUO connections to the motherboard USB2.0 ports, the problem went away.  I also found there is a memory leak which is related to the driver on that card. Over a week of operations, it can end up with 11GB of memory allocated, so I have to reboot or disable and re-enable the driver.

Have the USB drivers been updated by Windows Update?  Is there a BIOS upgrade available?  May be worth trying.

Neil G4DBN

On 10/02/2020 10:45, Mark Gottlieb wrote:
While relatively new, 3 months, to the FDM-DUO (and SDR)  I have used WSJT-X for several years.  I am now noticing a problem with TX in that it will cut off during TX intermittently.  No problem with audio or decoding.  I have used the same settings for the last two months, in WSJT-X, with no issues.   I am controlling PTT with CAT in the software.   This, of course, could have many causes.  I think I am narrowing it down to this particular computer (DELL VUE tablet  WIN10).  I am using all three cables when this occurs.  Assuming it might be the cable interface, which one of them should I unplug from the computer?

Thanks

Mark
KK2L

Mark Gottlieb

Hi Neil,

I just looked at my message and I want to be clear that I have used SDR radios for about 7 years now.  Now to the topic, when TX cuts off it doesn't come back.  It is a sudden and permanent stoppage TX.  I have to manually double click in the QSO window to get it going again.  I will try the upgrades, however, as suggested. No other components of the interface either Audio, Decoding, time sync or tone is being affected by this anomaly.

Thanks again

Mark
KK2L

Neil Smith G4DBN

OK, that doesn't sound like my fault at all. Mine was very specifically a regular audio dropout of fixed length.  Does the PTT stay enabled on the radio after it stops transmitting?

Are you using an amplifier or running barefoot (thinking about RF getting back into the DUO or PC perhaps?)

Are you using split (real or fake-it) in WSJT-X?  I have a different fault where sometimes the TX frequency doesn't flip back, and the radio drops down 500 or 1000Hz.  Seems to do it on real split or fake-it. Luckily, the DUO is so clean that I don't need to run split for low tones, unlike some radios out there!

Neil