VFO/SOFTWARE/FTM-DUOr

roysignwrite

I'm new to SDR  radio and considering buying the FDM-DUOr....my question is ..can the frequency be changed in the fdm software waterfall via the radios VFO..or does a CAT cable have to be connected ?...Thank you for any advice..Roy

Neil Smith G4DBN

Hi Roy, the SW2 software does not require the CAT connection for most usage, but obviously needs the other USB lead. Spinning the tuning knob on the radio or clicking it and selecting the digit to change, or using the up/down buttons on the mic changes the tuning in the selected receive channel in SW2 if you are one of the 192 kHz modes with standalone support.

I rarely use the tuning knob on the radio.

Of course, you can also control the radio tuning from SW2, with up to four independent VFOs in a slice and up to two slices, so eight receive channels. You can tune using a mouse wheel, the left/right arrow keys on the computer keyboard, by typing in the frequency, or by clicking on the waterfall or hitting spacebar and using the up-down tumblers on the advanced tuning control.  If you use WSJT-X or other CAT-enabled software that can change the radio tuning, those changes are also reflected in SW2.  When I am looking for the 10 GHz moonbounce beacon on 10368.025 MHz with doppler compensation enabled, the radio VFO and SW2 both change each second.

Other ways to tune the radio are via commands sent to the EXTIO port (see BlueDUO or Andy G4JNT's keypad entry system) or using a Tmate USB device via SW2.

Neil G4DBN

On 05/05/2021 20:11, roysignwrite via groups.io wrote:
I'm new to SDR  radio and considering buying the FDM-DUOr....my question is ..can the frequency be changed in the fdm software waterfall via the radios VFO..or does a CAT cable have to be connected ?...Thank you for any advice..Roy

roysignwrite

Thank you Neil ..for your comprehensive reply..very much appreciated...Roy (2W0RGA)