Topics

Using CAT with Two Radios: How Can I Synchronize my S2 and Icom 7300 in Digital and CW Skimmer Operating?

Klaus Brosche, DK3QN

Hi Bill,

Have at look at 'OmniRig'. This is a piece of interface software which can connect various
HAM software applications with various Transceivers/Radios (up to four).

It's Freeware and it also supports ELAD SW2.

http://www.hb9ryz.ch/omnirig/

73, Klaus, DK3QN

Am 17.11.2019 um 07:48 schrieb Bill Alpert:

My FDM-S2 is connected to a laptop via USB, and the laptop's second USB port is connected to the ICOM's USB port. This is being used for CAT control of the Icom rig by WSJT-X and it seems to be working properly as it controls the Icom's VFO and operating mode with no issues.

However I'm wanting to use my S2 for receive and my 7300 for transmit. I have a working antenna switch in place for this purpose. Is it possible for the Elad S2 and 7300 to synchronize frequencies? Tuning is mostly manual now. Further, my use case involves using WSJT-X for FT8 and CW Skimmer for CW operations.

For FT8, WSJT would be receiving audio from the Elad and CAT controlling the Icom for transmit. This part works now except that I have to manually tune the Elad radio when changing FT8 bands, as the WSJT can't control both rigs. Or can it?

For CW Skimmer, I currently have separate instances of the app for each radio. But, again, I'm not really sure how to use it with both radios. Ideally, I'm listening and controlling the S2 with the Skimmer app, and somehow the ICOM synchronizes with the S2 for transmit. Hopefully I could also work split with this arrangement.

It's worth noting that the Icom rig has a CAT port which is open and available if needed.

Hope this is all clear; it seems to get complicated fast, and I'd love to hear from you if you've been down this route. Thanks!

--
73 de Bill / KG6NRV