Topics

Original vs Current SDR Technology

Bill Alpert

I'd like to better understand the design differences between current SDRs, such as my S2 and my old Icom PCR-1000 which is dutifully collecting dust in my shack. It it technically considered an SDR? What's a good use for such a radio today? It still seems to run quite well.

--
73 de Bill / KG6NRV

Shaun Vincent Hopkins

Hi BIll,

As far as I'm aware, the PCR is computer controlled, SDR's have an FPGA inside that gets flashed with firmware every time it boots up. That's my limit! I sill have my PCR1000 and it's connected to a raspberry pi as a Picr server, great for when I'm away and I can't listen to internet streaming when I'm away from home for the local football matches on the local radio.
73's
Hoppy

Klaus Brosche, DK3QN

Hi Bill,

Icom PCR-1000 is a triple-conversion superhet receiver ('old school techniques') ;-)

The spectrum display is created by sweeping the receiver over a certain frequency span,
as per Icom Spec +/- 200 KHz, which will take a few seconds, during which the RX audio
may be muted (my guess).

So, it's not going to present a continuous view of what's going on across ths frequency
span.

As the PCR-1000 has no user interface, the GUI is transferred to a PC application and
any RX functions are being handled from there.
However, it is still a superhet-style RX.

Opposite to the S2, being an SDR with an AD-converter at the frontend and all further
processing being handled in the digital domain until it then gets converted back to
analogue in order to drive a speaker or headphone.

73, Klaus, DK3QN

Am 16.11.2019 um 23:47 schrieb Bill Alpert:

I'd like to better understand the design differences between current SDRs, such as my S2 and my old Icom PCR-1000 which is dutifully collecting dust in my shack. It it technically considered an SDR? What's a good use for such a radio today? It still seems to run quite well.

--
73 de Bill / KG6NRV

Klaus Brosche, DK3QN

Just found the PCR-1000 command list in the web, see here:

With that you could roll your own GUI for the PCR-1000 ;-)

Also gives some indications on how the spectrum scan is done
and how coarse spectrum resolution is set.