Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2019 at 7:56 PM
From: "Jay Hoppe" <wb8sqj@...>
To: EladSDR@groups.io
Subject: Re: [EladSDR] Elad ART Remote Windows 64 bit
Well I found the fix for the 64 bit version you have to place a folder called opt in the c:\cygwin64 folder and then move EladRemote folder into the opt folder.

Jay WB8SQJ

AndersH

Hi Hoppy,

I believe it is relatively rare for DUOr users to provide pre-filters and to configure the filter slots accordingly.
A BP filter wall is not required to suppress IM ghosts appearing here and there, while it is pressing necessity for many other brands.

Still, there can be some advantages to really do populate the free filter card slots.
I've been very pleased listening to AM around 6 MHz, using a 500 KHz BP filter
Static crashes keep happening, but the background will get cleaner.
The waterfall will also get noticeable darker, assuming the default color scheme is used, that is.

If you would be interested in experimenting with a 500 KHz filter for your own favorite frequency range and have some instruments, there are two designs approaches available:

  • The ELAD B3 design with hand wound toroids, based on the ELAD ham band cards
  • An original Butterworth or Chebyshev design utilizing the B3 card, but strictly with uncoupled SMD low profile inductors including shielding
At this time, I am not aware of any filter related application notes from ELAD, aside from the filter slot configuration, that is.
Obviously, the filters have been designed by a skilled circuit designer, but the design rules have never been disclosed in any way.

Best regards,
Anders H.
SM6-8439

Shaun Vincent Hopkins

Hi Anders,

That sounds promising and thank you, it gives me somewhere to start from! I'm not very good at electronics I never really invested my time in it. I can solder and make coaxes and basic circuits but filters? I'll buy one :-)

I bought a univeral 12v psu from Amazon just to test it - rubbish. Zozo universal 12v psu. It worked ok on really strong channels, it's now in the bin. I fished out a US spec 12v PSU for a NAS drive and plugged that in and voila! Lovely quiet MW bands.

I'll have to get used to the Elad SW2 software now, I preferred the SDR console interface. I usually use Jaguar pro for my Perseus.

73s
Hoppy

Sent: Friday, September 06, 2019 at 10:55 AM
From: "AndersH" <anhn@...>
To: EladSDR@groups.io
Subject: Re: [EladSDR] New (to me) Duo-R - any tips please?
[...]

Hi again Hoppy,

Regarding SW2, don't miss out on the great YT intro by David Kennett! It's mainly for the transceiver version, but perfectly relevant for the receiver too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHAb8L_an9Q&t=908s

Don't hesitate to get back if you like to explore the subject of embedded HF filters further, it's a fun and inspiring subject, but certain tools and techniques are needed for full customization.

Best regards,
Anders H.

Shaun Vincent Hopkins

Hi Anders,

Do the filters make a noticeable difference? Does it allow spectrum recording?

I have an MFJ bandpass filter and it seemed to work very well. I do LW&MW spectrum recording and using the MFJ with an ALA1530 or EWE antenna it only allowed a narrow part of the band through (as it should!) so I removed it from my setup. It manual as well so constantly adjusting as I tuned up and down the band.

Currently SWL but will be working to get my licence soon.

73s
Hoppy

On 07/09/2019, 11:02 AndersH <anhn@...> wrote:
Hi again Hoppy,

Regarding SW2, don't miss out on the great YT intro by David Kennett! It's mainly for the transceiver version, but perfectly relevant for the receiver too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHAb8L_an9Q&t=908s

Don't hesitate to get back if you like to explore the subject of embedded HF filters further, it's a fun and inspiring subject, but certain tools and techniques are needed for full customization.

Best regards,
Anders H.

AndersH

Hoppy,

The two relatively narrow 500 KHz filters i built myself make a significant difference.
My pre-built 1 MHz filter from ELAD has a more subtle effect in my particular setup.

With or without these filters, you are all set to make spectrum recordings, just choose that option in your SW2 settings.
I'm working a lot with full spectrum recordings in NDB monitoring. It's essential for deep dives using convolution analysis.

Best regards,
Anders H.