Topics

MaxDbSm meter with FDM-S2

amazingalgo@...

Hi,

Recently I saw a video on youtube where a second party analog style software S-meter was showed working on the FDM-S1 sdr. I had been searching for it but did not find the nice meter until Beppe pointed me to the ELAD_IT yahoo group where this meter is posted in the files section. Look for folder named "MaxDbSm" and read the manual to get the S-meter running.

I had it working with the FDM-S2 in a few minutes time and it looks very nice indeed.

73'
Ron Liekens
ON2RON

stephane Oliver

Hello,

I don't find it anywhere in the files section.
Where is it located please ?

73

Steven

bert witte <bwitte88@...>

hello Steven Hello,

I don't find it anywhere in the files section.
Where is it located please ?

73

Steven

amazingalgo@...

I see Bert beat me to it.

Good luck with the meter.

Maybe Bob's meter could also work with SW2 if setting up right but I never tried.

73' Ron
ON2RON

Ian Meyers

Does anyone have English instructions on how to set-up Maxdb software?  I downloaded and installed the msi package but I am lost as instructions and manual are in Italian.

Will it work with SW2 software as well?

73,
Ian

jfh9279@...

I'd love to get a copy of this analog S-Meter to use with my ELAD FDM-S2.  I checked the Yahoo IT group, but, while I can see references to the S-Meter software, I don't read or speak Italian and the "Files" section of the Yahoo ELAD IT Group is not accessible to visitors.

Does anyone have connections to the ELAD Yahoo IT group to request a copy of the installation file(s) to be shared via our own Yahoo ELAD group here in the US?

---Jared Harrison

bert witte <bwitte88@...>

Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2015 3:22 AM
Subject: [elad_sdr_en] Re: MaxDbSm meter with FDM-S2

I'd love to get a copy of this analog S-Meter to use with my ELAD FDM-S2.  I checked the Yahoo IT group, but, while I can see references to the S-Meter software, I don't read or speak Italian and the "Files" section of the Yahoo ELAD IT Group is not accessible to visitors.

Does anyone have connections to the ELAD Yahoo IT group to request a copy of the installation file(s) to be shared via our own Yahoo ELAD group here in the US?

---Jared Harrison

jfh9279@...

Ron/Bert,

OK, I've downloaded and installed the S-Meter, it runs and looks great -- howver, I can't find any manual or instructions on how to link it to my ELAD FDM-S2.  I'm running Windows 7 and the S-Meter is obviously expecting a traditional "COM" port assignment -- which doesn't exist on my system.

Do either of you have a copy of the "manual" referenced in Ron's original post?  Any guidance or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I love my new ELAD and, so far, this group has been terrific with responsive and specific support.

---Jared Harrison

lasse moell

18 april 2015, jfh9279@... [elad_sdr_en] skrev:

Ron/Bert,

OK, I've downloaded and installed the S-Meter, it runs and looks great -- howver, I can't find any manual or instructions on how to link it to my ELAD FDM-S2.  I'm running Windows 7 and the S-Meter is obviously expecting a traditional "COM" port assignment -- which doesn't exist on my system.

Do either of you have a copy of the "manual" referenced in Ron's original post?  Any guidance or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I love my new ELAD and, so far, this group has been terrific with responsive and specific support.

---Jared Harrison

lasse moell

Not that I have ever used the S-meter program... If the program expects to connect through com-ports, using virtual ports  like com0com should do the trick! http://com0com.sourceforge.net/

/Lasse SM5GLC

18 april 2015, jfh9279@... [elad_sdr_en] skrev:

Ron/Bert,

OK, I've downloaded and installed the S-Meter, it runs and looks great -- howver, I can't find any manual or instructions on how to link it to my ELAD FDM-S2.  I'm running Windows 7 and the S-Meter is obviously expecting a traditional "COM" port assignment -- which doesn't exist on my system.

Do either of you have a copy of the "manual" referenced in Ron's original post?  Any guidance or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I love my new ELAD and, so far, this group has been terrific with responsive and specific support.

---Jared Harrison

jfh9279@...

Hi Folks,

Well, to my amazement, I figured it out myself using basic logic and some ancient computer-related knowledge from back in the days of COM and LPT ports.

For anyone else traveling along this path, I knew I had to create some sort of virtual COM port(s) on my Window 7 machine.  Eventually found:

setup_com0com_W7_x64_signed.exe - powersdr-iq - Com0Com v3.0.0.0 W7 x64 (64bit) signed - PowerSDR-IQ for homebrew and various SDR designs - Google Project Hosting

  I then ran the installer and, using the default setup, the installer created virtual COM4 and COM5 ports on my computer.  I set the MaxDbSm meter to use Com4 and in the ELAD Settings, I went to the "Advanced" tab and connected RX1 to the now available COM5 port.

I started the S-Meter and the app and the ELAD began to play very nicely together.  I then tuned to my local FM station and got a reading of S9+40.

Essentially a useless addition the the ELAD software -- but great fun.  Reminds me of the "old days" with the ASA in Germany and a couple of venerable R390s :-)

---Jared Harrison

barry williams

Jarad,

My R-390A sitting here on the desk has an ASA Modification Data sticker on the back of it.

Barry Williams

On 4/18/15 11:30 AM, jfh9279@... [elad_sdr_en] wrote:

[...]

Barry,

Wow, talk about "back in the day"   Very cool!!!

Did you serve in the ASA?  Would love to chat off the list...

---Jared

jfh9279@...

Guido Schotmans

Very nice, but I noticed that when the CAT function is activated, the SNAP function doesn't work properly anymore.

73,

Guido.

[...]

Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
Versie: 2015.0.5863 / Virusdatabase: 4331/9565 - datum van uitgifte: 04/18/15

Ken B

Pardon me for replying to such an old post, but I'd like to make a comment about this virtual S-meter. I just came across this and followed the installation instructions from this post. Had no trouble getting the meter working.

On the Pro side:
It's very pleasing aesthetically. I really like the vintage look!

Now the Con side:
Unfortunately, the meter uses far more than it's share of pc cpu resources. Within the SW-2 sdr program, I saw my "Total CPU Usage" jump from 20% to roughly 35%. My pc is no slouch and has adequate RAM for the job, so lack of resources aren't the problem.

The meter is a great addition the the SW-2 software but I'd sure like to see the software developer "trim the fat" and make the program use less cpu resources.