Topics

LED DOWN-LIGHTS noisy on DUO

Thomas McQuiggan

Hi there. When I switch on the (12) LED downlighters in the lounge, I get horrible noise through the FDM DUO, but they don't effect my ICOM IC-7400 on the same antenna on the same frequency. Any ideas??

Also, a full licence friend came over and when transmitting QRO, the lights and TV flicker badly but not when he transmitted 100W on the ICOM!

Thanks de M7MCQ

Neil Smith G4DBN

Nasty LEDs often radiate really well at 200MHz or so.  I had a batch that killed DAB radio and wiped out 2m completely.  I took all 16 back and swapped them for Philips versions which are at least 30dB quieter. Does enabling the LPF make any difference at all to the level of noise? It could be loud enough for the image of HF to be heard.  See if you can hear any change on a DAB or FM broadcast radio with the lights on.

I can hear the lights in a neighbour's house 300m away on 50MHz through to 144MHz.

Is there any structure to the noise?  Any peaks or tones?  Does the attenuator make any difference?  Any sign of the PK indicator showing?  Do you have filters with your DUO?  Any difference on different antennas?  How about on just a few feet of wire in the socket?

If it is the image issue, the LPF should fix it, but  not if the noise is getting into the radio via some other path.

Let us know how you get on.

The flickering TV doesn't sound good, must be some pickup somewhere.  What are you doing for a station earth?

Neil  G4DBN

On 12/11/2019 18:16, Thomas McQuiggan wrote:
Hi there. When I switch on the (12) LED downlighters in the lounge, I get horrible noise through the FDM DUO, but they don't effect my ICOM IC-7400 on the same antenna on the same frequency. Any ideas??

Also, a full licence friend came over and when transmitting QRO, the lights and TV flicker badly but not when he transmitted 100W on the ICOM!

Thanks de M7MCQ

AndersH

Hello,

A 300 meter VHF noise zone from LED:s is beyond ridiculous.
All lamps should be recalled at the expense of the vendor/importer.
I think Ofcom would be willing to take action since it's VHF related too.

Consider approaching Ofcom with a concern of non-compliance with EMC rules and another concern that critical VHF communications is impaired.
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/interference-enforcement

All the best!
Anders H.
SM6-8430

Thomas McQuiggan

Jeez Neil, I wish I could bring the radio to your shack so you could do a direct comparison. I'm almost convinced there's something amiss. I was in Armthorpe yesterday, 20 miles from you LOL.

The LPF is on. PK never indicates. FM/DAB unaffected. I just switched the radio on and it was on 14.200 with a terrible noise, so I tuned the Icom in to the same frequency and here's the difference!!

https://youtu.be/XyGClS4f_ko

I know you think the ICOM may be deaf (lol) but it is, in fact, a good rig. Just listen to that video and tell me what you think.

Regards,

Tom.

Klaus Brosche, DK3QN

Tom,

What I can see from your Video:

on the IC-7400 you've got a noise floor at S 9 on the IC-7400 S-meter.

On the DUO you've got S 7 on the S-meter. Sound is different, more offending.

Did you set-up both radios with apple to apple settings?

E.g. Pre-Amp, Noiese Reduction, etc.?

Klaus, DK3QN

Am 13.11.2019 um 21:18 schrieb Thomas McQuiggan:

Jeez Neil, I wish I could bring the radio to your shack so you could do a direct comparison. I'm almost convinced there's something amiss. I was in Armthorpe yesterday, 20 miles from you LOL.

The LPF is on. PK never indicates. FM/DAB unaffected. I just switched the radio on and it was on 14.200 with a terrible noise, so I tuned the Icom in to the same frequency and here's the difference!!

https://youtu.be/XyGClS4f_ko

I know you think the ICOM may be deaf (lol) but it is, in fact, a good rig. Just listen to that video and tell me what you think.

Regards,

Tom.

Klaus Brosche, DK3QN

From listening to the audio sound of the IC-7400, I would dare to say you had NR (or the likes)
engaged on that rig.

Did you?

Klaus, DK3QN

Am 13.11.2019 um 21:18 schrieb Thomas McQuiggan:

Jeez Neil, I wish I could bring the radio to your shack so you could do a direct comparison. I'm almost convinced there's something amiss. I was in Armthorpe yesterday, 20 miles from you LOL.

The LPF is on. PK never indicates. FM/DAB unaffected. I just switched the radio on and it was on 14.200 with a terrible noise, so I tuned the Icom in to the same frequency and here's the difference!!

https://youtu.be/XyGClS4f_ko

I know you think the ICOM may be deaf (lol) but it is, in fact, a good rig. Just listen to that video and tell me what you think.

Regards,

Tom.

Thomas McQuiggan

Klaus, I'm not trying to set up the ELAD to fail!  The difference in the two radios is shocking! There's nothing in the settings of either radio which could make them sound so different. In fact, the Icom has the PreAmp ON which would potentially make it sound noisier (and explain the S9).

Regards,
Tom

Thomas McQuiggan

And by the way, the ELAD is the one with NR switched on.

Klaus Brosche, DK3QN

And whats about NR engaged on the Icom?

Klaus, DK3QN

Am 13.11.2019 um 23:10 schrieb Thomas McQuiggan:

Klaus, I'm not trying to set up the ELAD to fail!  The difference in the two radios is shocking! There's nothing in the settings of either radio which could make them sound so different. In fact, the Icom has the PreAmp ON which would potentially make it sound noisier (and explain the S9).

Regards,
Tom

Klaus Brosche, DK3QN

Typically, S-Meters in Icoms and the other JA radios (non SDRs) are calibrated to S9 (50uV) +/-
with the pre-amp (pre-amp1) on.

I wonder where that S9 signal on the 7400 is coming from. That's why I asked: was the NR engaged?

Klaus, DK3QN

Am 13.11.2019 um 23:12 schrieb Klaus Brosche, DK3QN:

And whats about NR engaged on the Icom?

Klaus, DK3QN

Am 13.11.2019 um 23:10 schrieb Thomas McQuiggan:
Klaus, I'm not trying to set up the ELAD to fail!  The difference in the two radios is shocking! There's nothing in the settings of either radio which could make them sound so different. In fact, the Icom has the PreAmp ON which would potentially make it sound noisier (and explain the S9).

Regards,
Tom

Mark EI3KD

Hi Tom,

It’s difficult to see (for me) on your video, but it looks like you have the 7400’s Noise Blanker (NB) *on*, and the Elad’s *off*. That noise sounds very much like one that would be mitigated by NB, so could that be the difference?

The Noise Reduction (NR) seems on, on both rigs; t’s not possible to see what levels they’re set to but that particular noise isn’t the sort that would be much affected by NR anyway.

Regards, Mark

Klaus, I'm not trying to set up the ELAD to fail!  The difference in the two radios is shocking! There's nothing in the settings of either radio which could make them sound so different. In fact, the Icom has the PreAmp ON which would potentially make it sound noisier (and explain the S9).

Regards,
Tom

Klaus Brosche, DK3QN

Mark,

You are right: NB on may tame that sort of noise.

Klaus, DK3QN