I Give Up On SW2 CAT Remote Control!!

Bruce Pea

Hello Everyone,

I have read everything I could find in this group about setting up FDM-SW2 CAT control. I have searched the web and looked for YouTube videos. I have configured SW2 every way it can be configured without any luck or success at all.

I have a Kenwood TS-590SG I'm trying to get to talk with the SW2 software. What is really frustrating is CAT works perfectly with SDR Console and the Kenwood rig control app. Absolutely perfect!!

I love, LOVE SW2!!! I think it is a great application and is my first choice to use with my FDM-S3, but the damn program is broke as far as CAT/remote control is concerned. Why!?! Virtually every other SDR application in the world seems to have figured out how to implement CAT perfectly... what is the problem here!!!!!!!!

I apologize for ranting. I've spent days and hours trying to figure out this seemingly simple task with SW2 with zero success... yet it works easily in every other app.

So yeah, you can tell me to quit whining and use another app. And I may ultimately be forced to do that, but I don't want to. SW2 is a fantastic app and I just want it fixed. Will someone at Elad PLEASE FIX CAT IN SW2!!

Thank you for listening to me and have a nice day,
Bruce, N9WKE

Neil Smith G4DBN

Hi Bruce, what exactly are you trying to do with CAT and the TS-590SG and S3? Are you using Omnirig? I'm not aware of any reported issues with the SW2 CAT protocol, but then perhaps nobody has tried to do what you want to set up with the 590SG and S3?  I know nothing about Kenwood rigs but perhaps someone else could offer tips on troubleshooting if you could explain what outcome you are trying to achieve.

Is Hamlib involved somewhere?

Are you trying to send FT-897 commands into SW2 to tune the S3?

Have you done any captures or logs of the CAT commands that are sent and received to help diagnose which commands are working and which are not?

Can you send FT-897 commands manually into the SW2 CAT port and does that work OK?  If you are using something that uses hamlib libraries, you can replicate the commands using the rigctl program to see if the CAT port is behaving correctly.

Can you send screen captures showing all of the CAT config in SW2 and the other program?

Neil G4DBN

On 06/08/2022 18:46, Bruce Pea via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Hi Neil,

Thank you for your note.

I am using SW2 with my FDM-S3. That is working fine and functioning as expected.

I have a separate USB cable running from my computer that is running SW2 connected to my Kenwood TS-590SG.

What I would like to happen is have the Kenwood frequency sync or change to the frequency SW2 is tuned to. I'd like to click on the waterfall and have the frequency on the Kenwood follow the frequency in SW2. I have tried doing this with and without OmniRig v1.2.

The Kenwood transceiver creates a virtual COM3 port that is used to send CAT commands to it. Here is a screen shot of the port established in Windows 11...

Below is a screen shot of how I thought I had configured SW2 to directly talk to COM3. It seems pretty straightforward...

No joy. This doesn't work for me.

I have tried creating virtual pairs of com ports using both VSPE and vspManager and I'm unable to get SW2 to control my Kenwood transceiver.

I'll be happy to share a log file, but I don't know how to do that with SW2.

Thank you Neil for all your help, comments, and suggestions.

Best wishes,
Bruce

Neil Smith G4DBN

Ah right, I've never used Omnirig, but installing and running v1.19 and enabling it in the remote panel, then creating a dummy CAT device pretending to be a Kenwood, Omnirig sends AI0; to which I responded AI0; then it sent MD2; so I sent back MD2; then it pulled the frequency from SW2 (28199.810 kHz) and it sent FA00028199810; to my dummy Kenwood.  However, it ignored any correct response I sent, and didn't send any updates if I changed frequency, but worse, it set the SW2 frequency to 0Hz for no apparent reason.

Now I *thought* that with Omnirig, you simply tell SW2 to talk to Omnirig and it then tells any configured devices to change mode/frequency.  Configuring a CAT port in SW2 and trying to connect that to omnirig perhaps isn't the correct approach as you are using SW2 to tell omnirig to command some slave receivers, but SW2 controls your S3 directly, so doesn't need to be connected to omnirig other than via the system call interface to the program that's enabled simply by ticking the box.

Nothing at all to do with CAT, it looks like something to do with the omnirig interface.

You can create a splitter and monitor port in VSPE to sniff what is going on with serial ports. Does other software work correctly with Omnirig?  Some of the programs don't use it and talk natively to other rigs. If you have it working with another program then SW2 should talk to it in the same way.  Lots of Omnirig issues in the archive.

Can someone who knows about Omnirig please chime in and confirm that no CAT config is required where SW2 is the master for controlling Omnirig?

Out of my depth here sorry.
Neil

On 06/08/2022 20:33, Bruce Pea via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Thank you Neil!

After reading your note, I guess my question is do I even need to use Omnirig??

If the Kenwood creates COM3 and is looking for CAT commands at COM3, then if I point SW2 at COM3 shouldn’t that be all I need to do to send CAT commands to the Kenwood??

Is there more to it than that? I don’t know, but it seems pretty straightforward.

Thank you again Neil for your time and help, they are very much appreciated my friend.

Best wishes,
Bruce

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 3:45 PM, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
[...]

Wrong way round, I'm sorry to say.  Omnirig is what's needed to make SW2 tell some other radio or program to change frequency or mode, and I *think* that only needs the box to be ticked.  The virtual CAT ports in SW2 are there to allow external programs like loggers or digimode software to control SW2.

I think in the past, to get round p[roblems with Omnirig, folks have written small pieces of code to poll SW2 and then tell the remotely-controlled device what to do.  There is another way, which is what I use, but it's directly on my DUO, which exposes the ExtIO protocol.  I'm sure one of the Omnirig users will be able to explain better what needs to be done.  I don't any any other rigs that I can use for a test slave unfortunately.

Neil G4DBN

On 06/08/2022 22:16, Bruce Pea via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Neil,

Thank you for straightening my thinking out!!  :)

I tried several other things to get SW2 CAT working with my Kenwood TS-590SG today, but nothing worked. This is so frustrating and disappointing.

I really like using SW2. I think it is by far the best at digging out those really weak, borderline signals, which is what I enjoy chasing and do a lot. But if I can't get it to do the most basic function like telling my radio what SW2's frequency is on than it won't be of much use to me.

If anyone else out there has figured this out, please do reach out. Better yet, document the solution and post it somewhere everyone can see it.

Thank you again Neil for taking a run at this problem. I appreciate your time and efforts.

Bruce, N9WKE

Kjell-Goran SM4GRP

Hello,
I use VSPE to split COM3, the original COM port for the DUO, to four COM10 ports. I connect the DUO, SW2, N1MM+ and WSJT-X to COM10 and it works very well indeed. It has worked witout a single problem for years.

73 / Kjell-Göran SM4GRP

Hello,
Not sure if my RFI Scanner (Freeware) program can help here.
During the past year I have mainly devoted myself to programming for various flight simulators. A very demanding commitment considering my age (82).

I am thinking of expanding the program with new CAT connections. I honestly don't know if it's worth it.

Simply read the RFRScanner.pdf File.

Raimund
.

Joseph Rodick

Gone the club.  I have already contacted Elad USA about this issue, and they have forwarded it to Franco.   It's been over a week, and no response yet.  I am using vsp Emulator Eterlogic, which works great on all other software but Elads.  Their cat interface has always been sketchy.  Please call Elad USA and report your issue to them, hopefully, with multiple people complaining, something will get done.  God Bless.

Bruce Pea

Hello Kjell-Göran,

Thank you for your note.

I just split my COM3 using VSPE as you suggested in your note and, for whatever reason, it did not work for me.

Thank you again for your suggestion and taking the time to write.

Best wishes to you my friend,
Bruce, N9WKE

Bruce Pea

Hello Raimund,

Thank you for your note. I'll check RFI Scanner out.

Best wishes,
Bruce, N9WKE

Bruce Pea

Hello Joseph,

Thank you for your 'Welcome to the club' note.  :)

Like you, I wish I weren't a member!! I have Paul Jones' phone number around here somewhere. I'll call and add my name to the list just to be on the record.

Please let me know if you hear anything or manage to get this problem figured out. I, of course, will do the same.  :)

Best wishes and good luck,
Bruce, N9WKE

Edited

Bruce,

[Remote Ctrl] > [CAT]

did you try to use a different CAT Mode ?

-----------------

TCP
Using the TCP connection you connect the Kenwood >>> directly <<< to the SW2 software.
Enable TCP checkbox must be checked.
The Tcp connection MUST work!

CAT
Kenwood is using the same CAT commands as the ELAD Radios.

OmniRig
Elad is using a Yaesu radio protocoll. Connection is explained.
OmniRig CheckBox must be checked.
-----------------

Which Kenwood transceiver you are using ?

I have all Cat commands for Kenwood and Icom Radios.
I think there is something you miss or you could manage differently.

Raimund
.

Bruce,

just on word more regarding the TCP connection.

For a TCP connection you need a separate Software that is connecting you.
This Software and the SW2 software should be present on the same PC.

Your main problema here is:
""" QUOTE """
What I would like to happen is have the Kenwood frequency sync or change to the frequency SW2 is tuned to. I'd like to click on the waterfall and have the frequency on the Kenwood follow the frequency in SW2.
""" UNQUOTE ""

Indeed, Neil Smith G4DBN got to the heart of the matter. We only know the two attached images and the fact that you have tried various solutions but we don't know which ones and how.

Raimund
.

Bruce Pea

Hi Raimund,

Thank you for all your great comments!

I downloaded Kenwood's network command app, ARHP-590G, and set it up as shown below:

Then I setup my SW2 as follows:

When I tried to sync the frequency between the Kenwood and SW2 nothing happened. I think I'm missing a step somewhere. According to the ARHP manual, all the information on the main screen (below) should be filled in (i.e., User Name, IP Address, Session Time).

In the SW2 setup above, should RX1 be enabled and connected to COM3? Since the ARHP-590G app is already using COM3 that's going to be a problem. Do I need to use a virtual pair cable (i.e., COM3 -> COM10)?

Thank you for all you help and suggestions. I'll play around with this a little more and see if I can accidentally make it work. :)

Best wishes,
Bruce, N9WKE

Hi Bruce,

Please forget your ARHP application for a while and start from the beginning.
What you need or look for is a connection to SW2.

The 2 most used metods are:
- OmniRig (you don't need other software than OmniRig)
(don't forget to set the right Baud-Rate your Rig is using)
...... Omnirig in SW2 also forces "Lock to CF" mode
...... You must follow the ELAD Manual explanation > VSPE Com splitting
...... See RFRScanner.pdf > Virtual Com-Ports VSPE (compare with SW2 settings and OmniRig).
.............Using RFRScanner you can use all the RFR features (dbase, Scanner, Freq-Memory ecc...)

- TCP RFRScanner (for Elad radios and any Rig > SW2)

RFRScanner connections:
(don't forget to set the right Baud-Rate your Rig is using)
- COM Ports
- OmniRig
- TCP

RFRScanner is sitting in between. Reading and Sending data from and to the devices involved.

""Quote as stated previously""
For a TCP SW2 connection you need a separate Software that is connecting you.
This Software and the SW2 software should be present on the same PC.
""UnQuote""

When i suggest to check the TCP checkbox i'm relating to RFRScanner that is connecting as explained with the RFRScanner.pdf.
RFRScanner is for 70% Elad connection oriented.

Read: "Rig's Cat Controls included as Example".
here enclosed image: Kenwood Ts990

RFRScanner.pdf > OMNIRIG
---------------------------------------
Pls read the explanation text.
The OmniRig DIALOG must be set to your actual Parameters, ComPort, Rig, Baud-Rate (important)
The Rig can be different but it must use the same Cat-commands!!!
Using RFRScanner > First Open the "Client.exe"! (The OmniRig Check-Connection-View) then open OmniRig.

[Remote Ctrl] > [CAT]
did you try to use a different CAT Mode ? Example: VRX ?

Remember, all parameter settings must match between all components involved.
<<<<<<<<<<<<< ComPort, Rig, Baud-Rate (important) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here enclosed:
Image > CATEditor.png > Kenwood Ts990
Rig_Editor explanation file

Raimund
.

@in3avw

Hi Bruce,
just my 2 cents...

I'm not a SW2 nor DUO expert, athoug I own one since a couple of years. No time left to use it... I'm way more acquainted with networking related questions, that has been my job for 25+ years
From your screenshots I see you have your "client" (the Kenwood sw) set to connect to TCP Port 50.000 (50K) while the server sw (SW2) is set to listen on TCP port 50.
Have you already tryed setting them both to the same Port?

Best wishes
  Marco, in3avw/ac2eo

Joseph Rodick

Bruce:  The simple fact is that there is no real support.  Sad,  I like Franko and think that Elad equipment is of the finest designs and construction.   However, this almost total lack of concern for the community and its needs indicates that they genuinely don't care or have shifted their priorities.  This is why more and more are selling their equipment.  I hope that I am wrong, genuinely do.  God Bless

John K5MO

Agree. The fact that nobody has stepped in to give any sort of reply to these recent threads is certainly a message in itself.

John