FLdigi and native FDM-DUO

Ron Liekens

Edited

Is it possible to run FLdigi with the DFM-DUO without using SW2? What settings are needed (including PTT operations). I searched the group, but I could only find the ops with the SW2 software. I like to not use any hardware interfaces if it is possible.

73' on2ron

Dave

download, install and execute the latest flrig test version from http://www.w1hkj.com/alpha/flrig/

  flrig-1.4.2.28.tar.gz 2021-11-10 08:22 922K
  flrig-1.4.2.28_BS.dmg 2021-11-10 08:51 3.4M
  flrig-1.4.2.28_HS.dmg 2021-11-10 08:22 2.0M
  flrig-1.4.2.28_LI.dmg 2021-11-10 08:22 1.8M
  flrig-1.4.2.28_setup..> 2021-11-10 08:22 1.3M
  readme.dmg.txt 2021-11-10 08:22 537
  readme.txt 2021-11-10 08:22 2.7K

flrig has native support for the FDM-DUO.  Run SANS fldigi to insure that it connects and controls the FDM-DUO.  Then execute fldigi and configure it to use flrig for transceiver control.

73, David, W1HKJ

On 11/11/21 05:43, Ron Liekens wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Is it possible to run FLdigi with the DFM-DUO without using SW2? What settings are needed (including PTT operations). I searched the group, but I could only find the ops with the SW2 software. I like to not use any hardware interfaces if it is possible.

73' on2ron

Ron Liekens

Done the install an read the wikipage a few day's ago. Got the audio settings working and the radio responds to frequency and mode settings, but the PTT is not working.

73' Ron
on2ron

Neil Smith G4DBN

Hi Ron, do you have PTT via CAT enabled? I'm not sure what version of flrig I have, but I can't see an FDM-DUO option, it reports as 1.4.2, I'll have a look for the latest version.  This is using the TS480SAT rig setting

Neil G4DBN

Dave

at http://www.w1hkj.com/alpha/flrig/

73, David, W1HKJ

Vianney Colombat

To W1HKJ and associates, thank you for adding native support for the FDM-DUO on flrig.

The ELAD Team.

Il 11/11/2021 15:11, Dave ha scritto:
at http://www.w1hkj.com/alpha/flrig/

73, David, W1HKJ

_._,_._,_

--
Vianney Colombat
ELAD Italy

Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica sono riservate e confidenziali e ne è vietata la diffusione in qualunque modo eseguita (DL 196/2003). Qualora Lei non fosse la persona a cui il presente messaggio è destinato, La invitiamo ad eliminarlo e a non leggerlo, dandone gentilmente comunicazione al mittente.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may well also be legally privileged (DL 196/2003). If you are not among the named recipients, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system, do not use the contents for any purpose whatsoever nor disclose them to anyone else.

Ron Liekens

Thanks for all the input. I had these suggested settings made last week. Still, I get lots of problems. I frequently have USB error messages from Win10/64. This made me buy a new USB 3.0 powered hub, but this did not change a thing. Also, running SDR-Console is problematic. The DUO was upgraded completely last month. There are times that all goes well and after a short time it all fails again. I also have to restart the DUO when I change programs. In the worst case, I also have to reboot the PC also. To be honest, I came to the point of disappointment. I have had some good experiences with Linux releases in the past months, but sadly, SW2 does not support these OS developments. Maybe I will give FLdigi a try on a Linux machine.

For now, I'm putting my energy in getting a new antenna up and running. Once this is done, I hope to be more relaxed and start to hopefully tame the beast.

73' Ron

Morris G1PIB

Hello Ron,
I don't know if your transmitting or just listening...but if your transmitting then problem could
be the same as I suffered.
The usb led should be moved away from antenna lead but also wound in and out of a  ferrite ring
4 - 5 times .to eliminate RF in the usb lead causing strange effects on the DUO and software
control..Hope this helps ..Morris  g1pib

Ron Liekens

Hi Morris,

I understand, but the USB troubles are also happening when receiving. Also, I tune with only 1W maximum output and mostly on a dummy load. If a USB lead has problems with RF pick-up it could indicate that the DUO is coupling RF back into the radio via a USB port.

I never had problems with 100 Watts out on my other ham tranceivers wich are connected to the same pc in, but not side by side with the DUO.

Getting really frustrated with the DUO - computer combination after 4 weeks of operation. One day it works fine for a few hours and the next day, without changing at thing all is working bad again. Now I will change computer and eventually using another OS if all is not working as it should.

I can almost not believe that there are more users reporting this.

73' Ron

Kevin Larcombe

I gave up on using mine with audio from the PC, I use the mic socket on the back for the same reasons.

Kevin GW0PUH

On 18 Nov 2021, at 11:44, Ron Liekens <r.e.liekens@...> wrote:
[...]

Kevin, that can be done, but what with the digital modes coming from a pc. Do you use the mic socket for this to? I agree that this is kind of a solution. I do not understand why all other manufacturers only need 1 USB connection that does all. Mind you, I'm using one of the first batch of FDM-S2 receivers and never regretted buying it, but the DUO is forming another, but not so positive impression in only 4 weeks time.

When using the DUO in stand-alone mode with a microphone, if found it working perfectly.

73' Ron
ON2RON

Luis Miguel Castañeda

No problems here except that ubuntu is a bit picky with audio interfaces and it sometimes switchs devices "who knows why and when". I haven't played enough with flrig to know if the issues I have seen are my fault - probably - or not, but for the most of it works well. WSJT-x and fldigi seems to work fine sending the audio to transmit. FDM-SW2 either on windows or as virtual box did the job fine.

The only USB troubles that rarely I've had, some random misbehaving, were solved just turning the radio off, then on.

Just as wild guess suggestion, couldn't be another antenna resonating and sending RF back to the shack via an open antenna switch or a similar scenario? given that you seem to have both rigs attached to the same computer...

On Thursday, November 18 2021, 03:44:28, Ron Liekens wrote:

I can almost not believe that there are more users reporting this.

--
He who does not know how to be silent will not know how to speak.
--- Decimius Ausonius

Kevin Larcombe

I admit I only use voice not data, but I had lots of problems using audio from the PC. It would without warning just decide not to work, usually when someone was calling CQ and you wanted to reply to them!

I also had some issues with feedback and RF getting into the audio. Even using the mic connector on the rear stations that I am strong with can hear a pop when I PTT.

The ART120 amplifier is another problem, I won't go there.

I guess we learn from our mistakes!

Kevin GW0PUH

On 18 Nov 2021, at 12:51, Ron Liekens <r.e.liekens@...> wrote:
Kevin, that can be done, but what with the digital modes coming from a pc. Do you use the mic socket for this to? I agree that this is kind of a solution. I do not understand why all other manufacturers only need 1 USB connection that does all. Mind you, I'm using one of the first batch of FDM-S2 receivers and never regretted buying it, but the DUO is forming another, but not so positive impression in only 4 weeks time.

When using the DUO in stand-alone mode with a microphone, if found it working perfectly.

73' Ron
ON2RON

Simon

Hi

For what its worth i have run my duo into 1kw amp pc controlled with another radio also pc controlled..
Audio via pc..no issues..
But lots of ferrite rings, good earthing on all shack items to single earth point on amp. All mains in leads and 13.8v though rf filters etc..

What i am getting at is it is probably something silly, not the duo itself..and yes what a pain with all them usb leads from duo!!

Simon

KT4WO - Trip

I have been using the DUO with FLDigi for years and
have never had any issues,,,it just works.
I don't run FLRig, just rig control in FLDigi for PTT.
It can be done but not sure why you are having issues?!?

KT4WO

Ron Liekens

Thanks for all the feedback. This made me conclude to try Linux, and if this does not work as expected, abandon all efforts and walk a new path with another radio. It's fun to seek a solution, but to keep running in circles is not my intention. Using the DUO for outdoor activities or travelling on holidays can be fun.

73' to all
Ron - on2ron