FDM-S3 and CAT control

Conrad, PA5Y

Hello all, my shiny new S3 arrived, and I have been using it on 6m.

I want to use RX1, RX2 and RX3 and CAT VRX with 3 instances of WSJT-X.  The problem is that there does not appear to be a com port for CAT control on the S3.

Do I need to create Virtual com ports, is that it? I have com0com or VPSE to do that. Any advice would be most welcome.

73

Conrad PA5Y

g0ofe

Yes, virtual ports needed. I use VSPE here.

Never used it with the Elad software, but have done with Console which emulates the Kenwood TS2000.

Jim.

On 04/05/2022 21:08, Conrad, PA5Y wrote:

Hello all, my shiny new S3 arrived, and I have been using it on 6m.

I want to use RX1, RX2 and RX3 and CAT VRX with 3 instances of WSJT-X.  The problem is that there does not appear to be a com port for CAT control on the S3.

Do I need to create Virtual com ports, is that it? I have com0com or VPSE to do that. Any advice would be most welcome.

73

Conrad PA5Y

Conrad, PA5Y

Good morning Jim could you please share more details of your set up? Are you able to have multiple instances of CAT for each receiver? As far as I know SDRC can only support omnirig which means 2 instances not 3. You can of course create the receivers but not 3 CAT controls as far as I know.

I would really appreciate it if you could share your VPSE set up.

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

Yes, virtual ports needed. I use VSPE here.

Never used it with the Elad software, but have done with Console which emulates the Kenwood TS2000.

Jim.

On 04/05/2022 21:08, Conrad, PA5Y wrote:

Hello all, my shiny new S3 arrived, and I have been using it on 6m.

I want to use RX1, RX2 and RX3 and CAT VRX with 3 instances of WSJT-X.  The problem is that there does not appear to be a com port for CAT control on the S3.

Do I need to create Virtual com ports, is that it? I have com0com or VPSE to do that. Any advice would be most welcome.

73

Conrad PA5Y

Conrad, PA5Y

This is driving me crazy! Please look at the screen grab and explain to me why this does not work! By the way, the Splitter in VPSE has the same baud rate before anyone mentions it.

73

Conrad PA5Y

Yes, virtual ports needed. I use VSPE here.

Never used it with the Elad software, but have done with Console which emulates the Kenwood TS2000.

Jim.

On 04/05/2022 21:08, Conrad, PA5Y wrote:

Hello all, my shiny new S3 arrived, and I have been using it on 6m.

I want to use RX1, RX2 and RX3 and CAT VRX with 3 instances of WSJT-X.  The problem is that there does not appear to be a com port for CAT control on the S3.

Do I need to create Virtual com ports, is that it? I have com0com or VPSE to do that. Any advice would be most welcome.

73

Conrad PA5Y

Conrad, PA5Y

Works fine with N1MM+, works fine with Omnirig.

I changed the port number to Port 6, still no joy with hamlib based applications. WSJT-X and JTDX tried to no avail. I can use Omnirig with WSJT-X but that will not work when I need more receivers.

Surely somebody MUST know what is wrong. I cannot believe that I am the only one having these problems.

[...]

H Conrad,

I don't use Omnirig with Console.

I think only the RX1 uses CAT, never tried more than this.

Neither have I used it (CAT) with a WSJT program or JTDX etc, but I do ise it with other software.

So, in Console I select (in my case) COM 12, and in the logging prog I use COM13.

The ports are linked in the VSP Manager config tool (13 paired with 12)

Jim.

On 05/05/2022 06:20, Conrad, PA5Y wrote:

[...]

Neil Smith G4DBN

On the DUO, using VSPE, I create a set of port pairs for COM13<->COM14 and COM15<->COM16

I then setup two WSJT-X instances to talk FT-897 CAT to COM14 and COM16

in SW2, I set the VRXs to talk  COM13 and COM15

The TEST CAT goes green OK on both ports.  If you use a transverter offset, it goes totally mad and sets lunatic frequencies and then dies.  It also seems to be mega-flaky on my setup.  I run it at 4800 baud with no handshake.

If you try to start up without the relevant receive channel open, it throws errors.  It sometimes puts impossible frequencies into the WSJT-X display  for one polling cycle. It sometimes just packs up after a few minutes, but then you retest CAT with no other changes and it starts working again.  Perhaps VSPE isn't the right tool, and it may be different with the S3.  I got frustrated and ditched the whole idea.  I retested just now and it's still flaky on this setum.  I've not tried com0com

Somebody out there must be doing this with an S3 surely?

Conrad, PA5Y

Indeed, you would think so. A friend of mine sent me a link to this.

https://www.eladit.com/en/download?path=sdr%2FAPPLICATION%20NOTES

ELAD AN_006 - Using FDM-DUO with two WSJT-X instances - rev 1.2.pdf

I followed it exactly and, this also did not work. I think that I will set CAT to none and just use the audio from each, that works fine. The same parameters work perfectly with N1MM+.

I suggest that this REALLY needs work.

73

Conrad

[...]

Peter Sumner

Hello Conrad,
 I too have struggled with this as I wanted to use my FMduo on 50 MHz and cover all the digital modes in one box (FT8 & Q65) on the many frequencies that USA and EU use but so far just like you it eludes me..  will try again with some of the suggestions from here and if any luck will let you know.

Peter, vk5pj