FDM-DUO CW sidetone with SW2

Pez T

Hi all,

I use SW2 to control my FDM-DUO, and I want to have sidetone with I use CW. The problem is that I need to have "Mute RX on PTT" selected, so that I don't hear myself when TXing on SSB, etc.

As a test, I disabled this so that I could hear my sidetone in CW mode via SW2, but the key to sidetone delay is significant.

Is it possible to have the radio itself produce the sidetone, while SW2 is being used? I cant seem to make CW work without huge delays in SW2, that really throw me off.

Any help would be appreciated.

73

Pez T

Perhaps you are all using external keyers with SW2? And nobody is using the built in keyer in the FDM-DUO?

I assume there is no ideal solution for this?

Neil Smith G4DBN

I use a little Xenyx audio mixer to inject sidetone from my external keyer into the audio that feeds my active speakers and headphones. It lets me mix in the direct signal from both of my DUOs as well as the PC sound output.  99% of the time I don't use SW2 for CW audio because of the latency on receive, which means I miss the first 200 ms or so of the other station's transmission, so I just flip to direct audio from the radios unless I need SW2 advanced filtering on CW.  I don't use the internal keyer except when operating portable standalone.

I use computer keying in contests as well as the external keyer, but still use the DUO audio directly as the receive buffer latency is a major issue at 30+ wpm in a contest.

On 08/11/2022 10:12, Pez T wrote:

Perhaps you are all using external keyers with SW2? And nobody is using the built in keyer in the FDM-DUO?

I assume there is no ideal solution for this?

Pez T

Thanks Neil,

Is it possible to have direct audio from the rig, and SW2 at the same time? When I'm in Remote (SW2) mode, I get no audio from the Rig. (I'm running in 1.536 MHz bandwidth mode, for lower latency, and want to keep it there if possible).

In remote modes, the standalone rx isn't active, it has to be one of the 192 kHz modes with the radio in standalone or standalone+remote.
Neil

On 09/11/2022 01:01, Pez T wrote:

Thanks Neil,

Is it possible to have direct audio from the rig, and SW2 at the same time? When I'm in Remote (SW2) mode, I get no audio from the Rig. (I'm running in 1.536 MHz bandwidth mode, for lower latency, and want to keep it there if possible).

Jim AJ8S

Neil,

Yes, it is possible to have receive audio from FDM-SW2 on the computer and also have sidetone from the rig which has no latency. All you need is a little amplified speaker plugged into the AUX OUT jack. I use the Coloud speaker (Amazon) which is plenty loud and runs for a very long time on its rechargeable battery. You have to turn the aux output volume in the radio menu (6 AUX VOL) all the way down to prevent (undelayed) receive audio from coming out of that speaker and then also adjust the sidetone volume (11 TONE VOL) to a comfortable level.

You could also dispense with the speaker and just wear headphones plugged into the AUX VOL jack instead but they would need to be the kind which don't seal around your ears.

A time when this setup is really nice is when you are working split on a pileup. You can use two receive slices in FDM-SW2, one in each computer speaker, to hear the DX and the callers separately. Set the DX filter narrow and the other one wide to hear all the stations calling on various frequencies.

73, Jim AJ8S