Topics

ELAD FDM-S3

Saul Chernos

Any word yet on what is supposedly the imminent release of ELAD FDM-S3?

I'd heard mid-January. Have been holding off my first SDR purchase ... waiting ... 

Saul Chernos
Burnt River ON

HF Seattle

Do we have any update on this????  I sent a email to Elad and never heard back....

HF Seattle

Hello Elad?

James Booth

Hi
Will this radio be wideband. Need a SDR that covers HF and airband.
Any SDR radios cover this ?
Thanks
James

HF Seattle

Edited

The Rfspace NetSDR + will

Alberto I2PHD

On 3/4/2018 1:17 AM, James Booth via Groups.Io wrote:

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam

Bill Nollman

The S2 also doesn’t officially cover 108-118MHz but you can tune and receive from 0-160MHz+.

Is sensitivity up to par all the way through the range, maybe. I’d expect the S3 to be similar.

Bill

From: EladSDR@groups.io <EladSDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of Alberto I2PHD
Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2018 12:13 PM
To: EladSDR@groups.io
Subject: Re: [EladSDR] ELAD FDM-S3

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam

Neil Smith G4DBN

It will come down to the sample rate used in the S3, along with the input circuitry.  The DUO is clocked at 122.88MHz (using an LTC2125), same as the rate on the spec I've seen for the S3 (using an LTC2208).  On the DUO, you can undersample well past 144MHz, but the noise figure rises above 70MHz, and there are issues with band 2 FM  broadcast images on 144MHz.  A selective preamp at the masthead works sort-of OK with a DUO on 144MHz, but I still use a selection of high-performance transverters for serious work on that band.  I don't know if the drop in performance is inherent in the LTC2165, or just a result of the input circuit of the DUO.

I just did a quick test using a 50% on-off carrier on 2320.200000 MHz in CW mode from my HP E4421B with a 20dB Varda attenuator,  using my Kuhne MKU 23 G4 2320-144 transverter into a G4DDK Anglian 144-28 transverter.  Minimum discernable signal (MDS) was -152 dBm.  SNR reported on a steady tone in SW2 at 28200.000 kHz is about 8dB in 11.7Hz bins.

Changing to a direct connection from the Kuhne into the DUO at 144200.000 kHz, minimum discernable signal with on-off pulses into the Kuhne at 2320.2 is -143dBm. That shows about 8dB SNR in 11.7Hz bins on SW2 as well.

Not altogether scientific, but for this simple use-case, the DUO as a 2m IF on this transverter is 11dB worse on receive than a reasonably-good 144-28 transverter.  That might not sound too serious, but in the contest I took part in today on 13cm, more than half of the stations I worked would have been below the noise floor.

The noise floor as seen by the DUO is only 1dB higher with the transverter connected, so a few dB more signal might help swamp the input noise of the DUO on 144. A good 2m preamp with 10dB gain and sub-1dB NF between the transverter and DUO might be the solution.  Of course, you also need a 23dB transmit amplifier to get from the 0dBm output of the DUO to the 200mW or so that I get from the Anglian.  The additional complexity is not much different from using a transverter, but the transmit quality of the DUO is truly excellent in terms of IMDs, so if I can build a really linear 0dB to 23dBm 144MHz amplifier, and use a PGA144 or something for the receive side, it could be a very worthwhile improvement on the TX side. 

Has anyone measured the noise figure of an S2 at 100 and 144MHz, or measured the MDS at 14Mhz versus 100 and 144MHz? (DUO is quoted -132dBm MDS in 500Hz CW b/w at 14MHz)

Neil G4DBN

On 04/03/2018 17:39, Bill Nollman wrote:

The S2 also doesn’t officially cover 108-118MHz but you can tune and receive from 0-160MHz+.

Is sensitivity up to par all the way through the range, maybe. I’d expect the S3 to be similar.

Bill

From: EladSDR@groups.io <EladSDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of Alberto I2PHD
Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2018 12:13 PM

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam

Pat Turcotte

I use the SDRplay RSP1A with SDR-Console software.  It's awesome and you can't beat the price.

https://www.sdrplay.com/rsp1a/

http://www.sdr-radio.com/Software/Version3

73 de N4ENF, Pat

James Booth

Thank you all for the replies. Very interesting. Will await the S3 and see what it cane do. Hopefully will purchase when available. 

dave_m1ctk

Just to say yes the rsp1a is much better on airband / 137 mhz (weather sats) and Band II FM than the elad. Not so great on MW though but this is to be expected, the Elad as we all know is exceptional on this band and below LW

Dave
UK

On 5 March 2018 at 10:35, James Booth via Groups.Io <jbooth35@...> wrote:
Thank you all for the replies. Very interesting. Will await the S3 and see what it cane do. Hopefully will purchase when available. 

Otso Ylönen

Continuing off-topic:

I have tested Elad FDM-S2 against SDRplay rsp1, rsp2pro and the AirSpy on the FM broadcast band in my home location, some 5 km away from the closest local FM stations. I have a hi-gain aerial and a good mast-head ampflifier.

Of these three, only the Elad can handle these “urban” signal levels without saturation, the other three require constant adjustment of attenuation and amplification in order to yield any DX.

I know things change when little or no local signals are present. I am looking forward to do testing in such conditions later this year.

BR, Otso

Lähettäjä: dave_m1ctk
Lähetetty: maanantai 5. maaliskuuta 2018 14.30
Vastaanottaja: EladSDR@groups.io
Aihe: Re: [EladSDR] ELAD FDM-S3

Just to say yes the rsp1a is much better on airband / 137 mhz (weather sats) and Band II FM than the elad. Not so great on MW though but this is to be expected, the Elad as we all know is exceptional on this band and below LW

Dave

UK

On 5 March 2018 at 10:35, James Booth via Groups.Io <jbooth35@...> wrote:

n2msqrp

Alberto,

You specify a USB 3.1 port. I have a Laptop with a USB 3.0 port. How will that degrade performance?

Mike N2MS

From: EladSDR@groups.io [mailto:EladSDR@groups.io] On Behalf Of Alberto I2PHD
Sent: Sunday, March 4, 2018 12:13 PM

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam

Bill Nollman

It works fine on USB3. 
Bill

On Mar 10, 2018, at 12:09 PM, n2msqrp <mstangelo@...> wrote:

Alberto,

You specify a USB 3.1 port. I have a Laptop with a USB 3.0 port. How will that degrade performance?

Mike N2MS

From: EladSDR@groups.io [mailto:EladSDR@groups.io] On Behalf Of Alberto I2PHD
Sent: Sunday, March 4, 2018 12:13 PM

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam

Alberto I2PHD

On 3/10/2018 6:09 PM, n2msqrp wrote:

Alberto,

Mike N2MS

Mike,

no degradation of performance. S3 will work perfectly with an USB 3.0 port.

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam

Nils Schiffhauer

... any idea when? And not only on exhibitions like this weekend in Marconi's own country?

73 Nils, DK8OK

Am 10.03.2018 um 22:01 schrieb Alberto I2PHD:

Alberto,

Mike N2MS

Mike,

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam

_._,

Paul NN4F

Hey Nils,

I haven’t heard any info on the release date, plus I don’t have one for support yet, but the specs are good, with the 24mhz I/Q, I’m looking forward to playing with one, I‘ll bug Franco to see if I can get a release date…  I know the team are working on the release of the Duo-ART this week, so I’m thinking  the S3 is next and it wont be that far away.

Paul – NN4F

--

Paul Jones - Elad Technical Support (USA)

FDM-Duo, Duo-Art, FDM-DUOR,  FDM-S3, FDM-S2, FDM-SW2

Visit http://www.eladit.com for the full range of Elad Products

Email Support Group - https://groups.io/g/EladSDR

Work Email: support@...
Home Email: Paul@... 

From: EladSDR@groups.io <EladSDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of Nils Schiffhauer
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2018 12:57

... any idea when? And not only on exhibitions like this weekend in Marconi's own country?

73 Nils, DK8OK

Alberto,

Mike N2MS

Mike,

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam

_._,

Nils Schiffhauer

... thanks, Paul and I know that permanent quaking doesn't speed up things ;-)
73 Nils, DK8OK

Am 11.03.2018 um 17:05 schrieb Paul NN4F:

Hey Nils,

I haven’t heard any info on the release date, plus I don’t have one for support yet, but the specs are good, with the 24mhz I/Q, I’m looking forward to playing with one, I‘ll bug Franco to see if I can get a release date…  I know the team are working on the release of the Duo-ART this week, so I’m thinking  the S3 is next and it wont be that far away.

Paul – NN4F

--

Paul Jones - Elad Technical Support (USA)

FDM-Duo, Duo-Art, FDM-DUOR,  FDM-S3, FDM-S2, FDM-SW2

Visit http://www.eladit.com for the full range of Elad Products

Email Support Group - https://groups.io/g/EladSDR

Work Email: support@...
Home Email: Paul@... 

From: EladSDR@groups.io <EladSDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of Nils Schiffhauer
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2018 12:57

73 Nils, DK8OK

Alberto,

Mike N2MS

Mike,

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam

_._,

-- 
dk8ok.org

n2msqrp

Alberto,

Thanks. When will it be available? 

Mike N2MS

On March 10, 2018 at 5:01 PM Alberto I2PHD <i2phd@...> wrote:

Alberto,

Mike N2MS

Mike,

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam

ADG

I see a number of people asking the same (awkward?) question across multiple boards and yet there's never an answer from the people who know.

I'm sure this was meant to on sale over a year ago so will it ever go on sale, it promises so much but right now appears to be vapourware.