Johan Holstein <j.g.holstein@...>

Hi all,

Is there any program what I can use in my Linux OS to operate my FDM-DUO.. Franco can you compile the Sw2 for a Linux OS.......  Best regards, Johan Holstein 73

Shaun Vincent Hopkins

I'd like that too. I use Manjaro

73's
Hoppy

Alberto I2PHD

On 2019-09-30 20:21, Johan Holstein wrote:

Is there any program what I can use in my Linux OS to operate my FDM-DUO.. Franco can you compile the Sw2 for a Linux OS.......  Best regards, Johan Holstein 73

I am not Franco, and, given the burden of work he is currently having, I doubt he will be able to find the time to answer...
What I can say is that the software FDM-SW2 makes heavy use of many Windows features and APIs that do not have a Linux equivalent...
So it would not be a matter of recompiling it under Linux... It should be rewritten almost from scratch... I doubt it will happen...
You could try with Mono... Wine won't be of any help...

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
<<< http://www.weaksignals.com >>>

Antony Watts

I already asked Franco if it could be compiled for a native MacOS version. Seem it would be an expensive job (a re-write) and they have no plans for it.

I sure would like to see it as the Mac GUI is so much better

73

Antony
M0IFA

On 30 Sep 2019, at 19:21, Johan Holstein <j.g.holstein@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Is there any program what I can use in my Linux OS to operate my FDM-DUO.. Franco can you compile the Sw2 for a Linux OS....... Best regards, Johan Holstein 73

barry williams <ba.williams@...>

Me too for all the good reasons.

On 2019-10-01 0:51, Antony Watts via Groups.Io wrote:

I sure would like to see it as the Mac GUI is so much better

The GUI of FDM-SW2 is not dictated by the choice of Windows as op-sys... it could be much better (or worse).
It depends only by the choices of the programmer and the specific developing environment used.

Same reasoning applies for any other op-sys, be it Linux or Mac.

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
<<< http://www.weaksignals.com >>>

On 2019-10-01 0:51, Antony Watts via Groups.Io wrote:

I sure would like to see it as the Mac GUI is so much better
The GUI of FDM-SW2 is not dictated by the choice of Windows as op-sys... it
could be much better (or worse).
It depends only by the choices of the programmer and the specific developing
environment used.

Same reasoning applies for any other op-sys, be it Linux or Mac.

--
/*73 Alberto I2PHD*
<<< http://www.weaksignals.com >>>/

I agree with you. The whole SW2 software must be rewritten for Linux and don't forget the enormous graphic code.
You could see some code just using the official Microsoft debugger.

Anyhow, very important is a very good Monitor and the graphic card.
I'm using 2 Monitors with my 1. PC
HP 27'
HP 23'
HP 19' only x the 2. PC

The graphic appearance with the 27' Monitor is quite different from the 23'.
The 27' brightness is absolutely the better one.

Raimund
.

Johan Holstein <j.g.holstein@...>

I don't think the code must be rewritten.... perhaps Wine can do the job with some extra dll....

Best,

Johan

On 2019-10-01 0:51, Antony Watts via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Ken B

I'm not going to add anything new here, just a general response to the question of Linux and Elad. The topic has been brought up before about getting the S2 working with Linux, and now by logical extension, the duo. There are some files available to get the Elad sdrs to work under linux using the GNU radio environment. I'm definitely not a linux guru, thus I've failed to get my S2 working with those files. As one poster mentioned, probably due to time constraints, a "full blown" linux installer package will most likely never happen. Too bad. The Elad FDM-S2 is the best radio I've ever had, and not having the S2 work under linux is the ONLY reason I haven't been able to reach my goal of dumping Windows for good. I don't like "kludges" to get a radio working... GNU radio, work-arounds like Wine, etc. A package installer is what's needed. Oh well, I gave up on waiting long ago.

I'm presently in the process of looking for an sdr that will give approximately the performance level of my S2 (within a reasonable price range) that will operate under linux without me having to be a Linux guru. When said sdr will install in Linux with a simple installer package, I'll buy it immediately. I won't sell the S2, but it will be put on the "back burner" doing some routine radio tasks rather than my main radio.

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 06:19 AM, Johan Holstein wrote:

I don't think the code must be rewritten.... perhaps Wine can do the job
with some extra dll....

Best,

Johan
Very Interesting.
Would you be so kind and tell me why you think a extra DLL would do the job ?
Maybe we find a solution.

Raimund
.

Klaus Brosche, DK3QN <klaus.brosche@...>

All of this discussion on behalf of a 2% market share OS!

Why 2%? The Linux community wastes its resources into creating 50++
individual
Linux distributions and various desktop GUIs. Lots of good 'artists' and
everyone
of them wants to show his 'cards'.
Instead of getting this Linux sh.. consolidated and make it perfectly
user friendly
and manageable by 'Joe Blow'.

An absolute nonsense, IMHO.  YMMV.

Klaus, DK3QN

P.S. I have 3 Notebooks running on Ubuntu and Mint.
For 'mission critical' applications ;-)

But no Linux break-through market share-wise, after decades.

Am 01.10.2019 um 21:27 schrieb Raimund:

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 06:19 AM, Johan Holstein wrote:

I don't think the code must be rewritten.... perhaps Wine can do the job
with some extra dll....

Best,

Johan
Very Interesting.
Would you be so kind and tell me why you think a extra DLL would do the job ?
Maybe we find a solution.

Raimund
.

Shaun Vincent Hopkins

Lot's of chat for linux :-D

3 things keep me with MS Windows:

  • MS word - nothing else comes close for work. It is very polished and very professional
  • SDR software
  • Diagnostic software for my bikes and cars

That's it.

73's

PS. All mine run Manjaro.

I can't stand Ubuntu in any format, Mandrake died (I was with that from the very first release until Mandriva died), OpenSuse went strange, Mint... well it started well but the apt-get update... wait... wait....wait....wait....wait.... wait....wait.... got on my nerves.

I tried Manjaro and have been with it now for 3 years.

Klaus Brosche, DK3QN <klaus.brosche@...>

Hi Shaun,

Ever tried 'LibreOffice'?

If one is envolved in ham radio, SDR, etc. it is quite hard to live
without MS Windows. With that I mean MS Windows on a
dedicated Windows machine, native.

E.g. my favorite Logging Program (UCXLog) is only available
for MS Windows.
Etc. for my audio files editing programs, ELAD Software, etc. etc.
Long list.

At least, with MS Windows OS you have some personal 'freedom'
re. selection of hardware and software.

With the company from Cupertino it's limited to non-existing,
besides the plenty of cash they ask for their 'goodies'.

Klaus, DK3QN

Am 01.10.2019 um 22:21 schrieb Shaun Vincent Hopkins:

Lot's of chat for linux :-D

3 things keep me with MS Windows:

  • MS word - nothing else comes close for work. It is very polished and very professional
  • SDR software
  • Diagnostic software for my bikes and cars

That's it.

73's

PS. All mine run Manjaro.

I can't stand Ubuntu in any format, Mandrake died (I was with that from the very first release until Mandriva died), OpenSuse went strange, Mint... well it started well but the apt-get update... wait... wait....wait....wait....wait.... wait....wait.... got on my nerves.

I tried Manjaro and have been with it now for 3 years.

Shaun Vincent Hopkins

Hi Klaus,

Libreoffice is ok, but if you do pro work documents what looks good in one looks nasty in the other, the formatting never crosses over, not in my experience. Businesses I work with use MS Office - ergo I have to use office.

My sister is a die hard fruit fan and has just about every device, annually since they started. So is her husband. More money than sense both of them.
Me? Whatever does the job for a good price :-D

Good DX!
73's
Hoppy

Edited

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 08:55 AM, Klaus Brosche, DK3QN wrote:

All of this discussion on behalf of a 2% market share OS!

Why 2%? The Linux community wastes its resources into creating 50++
individual
In fact. One thing is to guess a DLL would do it and another one is knowing how to do.
I think there is no sense to extend this discussion.

Raimund
.

Alberto I2PHD

On 2019-10-01 22:53, Klaus Brosche, DK3QN wrote:

Ever tried 'LibreOffice'?

Every year I give a couple of presentations to ham meetings all over Italy, mainly about SDR, and prepare them with MS Power Point.

At the beginning of one of those my laptop had a problem, but luckily I had copied the Power Point presentation to a USB dongle.
One of the hams present loaned me his laptop to run the presentation from the dongle.
But he had not the real Power Point installed, but the equivalent form LibreOffice...

Needless to say, all my slides were garbled, horrible to see... compatibility problems among the two programs...
I apologized with the presents, and said to myself that never, ever, I would use anything so-called "free software",
at least not for serious stuff...  free software is fine for anything related to a hobby, but just for that.

In the end, you receive what you have paid for...

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
<<< http://www.weaksignals.com >>>

Chris Bartram

I really don't want to fuel a pointless Linux v. Windows argument, but my experience of Linux has been quite the opposite to Alberto's. I have used Libre Office, and its predecessor Open Office, running under a variety of Linux versions since the early 2000s for producing documents for both professional engineering and amateur radio purposes which have never misbehaved when run on Win machines. I also use Open Source software for most of my (work) RF/microwave hardware design activities. I've also used OS software running under Linux to edit and typeset a book of music. It's not that I have no experience of Windows - that goes back to the 1990s! I do have a lap-top running Win10, and run other Win software under virtual machines within Linux, but I very much prefer the Open Source environment.

Deciding to use the FDM-Duo as my main AR transceiver was a conscious decision, taken with an understanding that the transceiver is designed with a Windows-based computer system in mind. I'm not complaining, but if a similar transceiver were to become available with Linux support, I'd probably buy it!

73

Chris G4DGU

Nick Hall-Patch

There must be a file of such incompatibility horror stories somewhere, and I won't high-jack the thread with mine.   The secret seems to be to disregard any claims of true compatibility; now if we could get users of the free software to disregard those claims also, instead of sending back unreadably edited documents.

This isn't to let Microsoft off the hook.  They've certainly had compatibility issues between versions themselves.

best wishes,

Nick

On 2019-10-01 22:53, Klaus Brosche, DK3QN wrote:

Ever tried 'LibreOffice'?

[...]

Victoria, BC
Canada

Johan Holstein <j.g.holstein@...>

Wow big statements about Linux and sad to read.

Linux for hobby?

Did you realize that most servers running on Linux, did you realize that millions of raspberry pi running on Linux and even a MAC is running a kind of Linux.....

Did you also know that Python is different than C sharp or C++ , same as MSword ($$$) is not Libre Office it's only how you see it.

That's why more enthusiastic hams designing there programs in C,  C++ or Python and compile them in the Linux environment, the C  or C# compiler are free.

Last, I have also a FDM-DUO for years perfect however there is also a drawback as well..... no decent CI-V for loop controllers. Compared to my radioberry the FDM-DUO is for sure not better when we talk about performance and runs on Linux as well see my video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjccr80WiUQ

Microsoft says please upgrade sure $$$.... to the newest version, I say they only upgrade there bank account.

That's my statement about Linux and I wish there where more programmers like me to make stable programs without any cost.

As attached my Linux processor overview.

Best regards,

Johan

On 2019-10-01 22:53, Klaus Brosche, DK3QN wrote:

Ever tried 'LibreOffice'?

[...]

Neil Smith G4DBN

It would be interesting to know the number of Linux-centric Elad owners. The choice of .NET as the programming platform rather than something platform-agnostic like Qt, is totally understandable, as the pool of professional developers is larger and the majority (probably) of purchasers are Windows users. I just suspect that a much higher proportion of Elad owners are Linux users when compared with a group of non-Elad owners. Something to do with Elad owners and Linux users just being EXTREMELY cool.

Now if we all just used LaTeX as a document description language, the world would get measurably nicer and we could ditch everything else apart from plain text editors. Cue arguments about emacs versus vi versus nano or woteva.

My ebay £85 W7 laptop runs SW2 and digimode programs very happily, and I have another costing (gosh) £125 that is also good and it runs them on W10. Not a big cost and they are dedicated for radio use, so I only connect them to the internet through a firewall and proxy which allow useful things like pskreporter and a few other sites in a whitelist.

Now if SW2 would run natively on my MacBook, my life would be complete.

(I guess the bands are rubbish, the frequency and volume of these discussions seem to have an inverse correlation with propagation!)

Neil G4DBN