Topics

DUO, ART & QRP

Scott - NB0W

I hope this is a stupid question ... because that might mean it's possible and I just missed it.

I have the DUO and the ART amp. I also have a few QRP events I like to participate in.

Is there a way to use the ART's tuner and meters but not have the amp engage, to run the DUO "barefoot" at QRP without involving he amp?
So basically it would just be the ART acting as a tuner and meter only, without amplifying?

So far, I've been using a combination of amp input attenuation, and DUO output power setting to get the ART  set to run at 5 watts when I need to run QRP. Just wondering if there is a way to bypass the ART amp and just let the DUO run through it at QRP.

Thanks,
Scott

--

Scott McCullough - NBØW

la1rq@...

Stupid questions don't exist, only stupid answers...

My answer to your question is quite simple:

Press "Input attenuator " until it shows "Standby "

73 de
Espen

Scott - NB0W

Ah ha!

I thought surely this is possible.

Thank you so much!
Scott - NB0W
Broken Bow, NE USA

On 2/13/2020 5:14 PM, la1rq via Groups.Io wrote:
Stupid questions don't exist, only stupid answers...

My answer to your question is quite simple:

Press "Input attenuator " until it shows "Standby "

73 de
Espen

KC4VZT Middleburg, FL

The DUO-ART has Memory Banks 0, 1, and 2. I have mine setup so that Memory bank 0 has the amplifier turned off for all bands. While I have Memory Bank 1 set to amplifier on on all bands.

So it is possible to have the amplifier enabled or not for each individual band. Along with which bands need the ATU and which do not.

Hope that helps,

Obe (KC4VZT)

Scott - NB0W

Those are some good ideas, thanks. I hadn't put much time or thought into different ways to use the memory options.

I understood right away what the input attenuation was doing, but I never would have expected the "amp bypass" option to be on the attenuation selection as one is input and the other is output. I guess I'm thinking analog instead of digital.

Now (with your suggestion) that I think about it in terms of memory storage, I can see where it starts to make more sense to have those together on the same button since all that info gets stored in memory.

Now I'm thinking I need to clear the memories and start over and organize better with a bit of a plan somewhat like what you're using. :)

Maybe I need to start another thread, but the only other thing I question right now is the ART's fan. I saw where the fan can be set to max, or SSB. It looks like in SSB mode, the fan turns on about 30 watts out.  I don't care if it runs, but with any kind of QSK on CW the fan turns on/off/on/off every time the amp switches from tx/receive. I would like a setting to either have it only turn on at a certain temp (when needed), or at least a turn off delay so it didn't shut down between every CW letter or word. The constant on/off can't be good for the fan motor when the CW delay is set short.

Thanks again,
Scott