Topics

DUO-ART :: FT-817 MODE #duo-art #ft-817

Thomas McQuiggan <m7mcqio83ro@...>

I find it VERY frustrating to learn that ELAD sell an amplifier (DUO-ART) which boasts in the marketing specifications as having a dedicated FT-817 MODE, but then doesn't provide (or offer to sell) an Interface Cable!! VERY annoying when this was one of the reasons for investing in a DUO-ART in the first place!

I've spent well over £2,000 on my ELAD equipment and expected a little more support. I've asked ELAD for help via a Support Ticket and received conflicting suggestions on cable-types and a document written in Italian with schematics which leave me (an M7 beginner) bewildered.

I've sought help from Intermediates and Advanced operators but no one seems to be able to help.

ELAD : Do the right thing!

Neil Smith G4DBN

It looks pretty straightforward if the 817 runs serial CAT data out of the ACC socket.  The DUO-ART serial socket looks like a normal RS232 so a three-wire connection for ground, RXD and TXD should be all that is needed for that, then a separate wire from the TX GND pin (which is earth-on-transmit by the looks of it) to a 3.5mm jack plug into the PTT of the DUO-ART should be all you need.

Those micro plugs are a bit of a swine to solder, so I usually buy a lead with one of the right plugs on, then chop off the other end of the cable and meter up each wire and pin.  Then just solder the TXD, RXD and GND wires to a DB9 female, and then find a 3.5mm jack lead, chop it off and solder it to the PTT wire inside the plug.  For completeness, you could connect the ground of the jack to the ground pin from the 817, but if the DB9 is connected, it wouldn’t be necessary. I’d have a poke around with a scope and voltmeter to confirm what is actually connected to what.

I guess the Inters and Advanced you tried might need more than one beer to do the fiddly job, it looks like at least a two-beer job to me.

Can you share the docs and schematics?

Neil G4DBN

On 17 Jan 2020, at 23:25, Thomas McQuiggan <m7mcqio83ro@...> wrote:

I find it VERY frustrating to learn that ELAD sell an amplifier (DUO-ART) which boasts in the marketing specifications as having a dedicated FT-817 MODE, but then doesn't provide (or offer to sell) an Interface Cable!! VERY annoying when this was one of the reasons for investing in a DUO-ART in the first place!

I've spent well over £2,000 on my ELAD equipment and expected a little more support. I've asked ELAD for help via a Support Ticket and received conflicting suggestions on cable-types and a document written in Italian with schematics which leave me (an M7 beginner) bewildered.

I've sought help from Intermediates and Advanced operators but no one seems to be able to help.

ELAD : Do the right thing!

Heinz-Juergen Kronemeyer

I find it VERY frustrating to learn that ELAD sell an amplifier (DUO-ART) which boasts in the marketing specifications as having a dedicated FT-817 MODE, but then doesn't provide (or offer to sell) an Interface Cable!! VERY annoying when this was one of the reasons for investing in a DUO-ART in the first place! I've spent well over £2,000 on my ELAD equipment and expected a little more support. I've asked ELAD for help via a Support Ticket and received conflicting suggestions on cable-types and a document written in Italian with schematics which leave me (an M7 beginner) bewildered.

Hmm.

Looking at the Duo-Art Manuel (Description of the Rear Connectors) shows:

7-
RS
-232 portDB9 connector for the FT-817 interface acting on an RS-232 serial link.

Let me Google that for you:

Yaesu FT-817 RS-232 Interface

shows me a bunch of Information what is needed for a serial CAT connection with the FT-817.

In short: You need a Yaesu CT-62 CAT Interface with DB9 Connector.
Should also be part of the Yaesu FT-817 Manual.
You can buy this nearly everywhere on the Internet or build it yourself. I think, ELAD has send you the Layout for the Yaesu CAT Interface for self building. So, why should ELAD sell Yaesu Equipment?

Heinz-Juergen Kronemeyer

It looks pretty straightforward if the 817 runs serial CAT data out of the ACC socket.

No, that didn't work. The Yaesu CAT isn't a standard RS-232 serial Protocol. Different Voltage Levels i think. A Yaesu CT-62 CAT Interface is needed for serial Connection. I think, ELAD had send him the Layout for self building that Interface. Ready to use ones are available.

Thomas McQuiggan <m7mcqio83ro@...>

Hmm.
I already have the CT-62 CAT Interface with DB9 Connector.
That DOES NOT provide you with a PPT connection for the DUO-ART. It provides you with CAT control but another cable to the amp's 3.5mm PTT-IN is required.

What is required, is an RS-232 serial link Cable with a DB9 Connector AND a 3.5mm Jack Plug. Google that.

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 at 12:18, Heinz-Juergen Kronemeyer <meierzwo@...> wrote:
[...]

Could you use something like between the cable and the DUO-ART to break out the PTT cable using half of a 3.5mm jack lead?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DB9-DSUB-9pin-Male-to-Female-Test-Measurement-Adapter-D36/352194088184

Might be something neater with a DB9 male to female in a case that you could use.

Neil

On 18/01/2020 12:38, Thomas McQuiggan wrote:
[...]

The 817 appears to use 5V signalling, pretty much like the DUO-ART, but agreed, it is not standard.  An optoisolated interface would be a very good idea.  Also the sense of the voltages might be reversed.

It does appear that lots of hams have made their own interfaces for specific use-cases. https://www.hamradio.hr/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6137.0;attach=2148 has a few examples.

This is all much too hard. It would be much nicer if everything used ethernet, but I guess every vendor would then create yet another new, incompatible protocol.

Neil

Standards

On 18/01/2020 12:32, Heinz-Juergen Kronemeyer wrote:

It looks pretty straightforward if the 817 runs serial CAT data out of the ACC socket.

No, that didn't work. The Yaesu CAT isn't a standard RS-232 serial Protocol. Different Voltage Levels i think. A Yaesu CT-62 CAT Interface is needed for serial Connection. I think, ELAD had send him the Layout for self building that Interface. Ready to use ones are available.

Heinz-Juergen Kronemeyer

I don't need to Google that. I can read Schematics. And it is clearly shown in the Manual, that this separate PTT-Line is needed. There is a little error in the Schematic. The PTT Line should go to the Data Port, not to the AGC Port. But the Yaesu Pin Out shows the PTT Line available at the Data Port. So we could count one and one together. And i haven't seen your here asking for help before?
I can understand your Frustration not getting a Ready to Use Cable. But that's Part of HAM Operators Life. Sometimes we have to switch on our soldering iron and do some soldering for special Cable settings and more. The Duo-Art was developed for the FDM-DUO. The FT-817 Connection is a nice Add On and not many 817 owners will buy the Duo-Art only for their 817. There are cheaper Amps for that. And i think, one of the best Features from the Duo-Art, the Waterfall Display, is not available with the 817?
What i would do? I would use the Data Port PTT for the needed PTT Line. All you need is a Cable, a Data Port Plug, a 3.5 mm Plug, and a soldering iron. Soldering them together is no Rocket Science.  And you can ask here for Help. The Community is great. But shouting out Frustration and blaming a Company isn't always a good start. :-)
But no offense. Have fun with your Equipment. And HAM Operators life is always a learning curve. :-)

73 de Heinz-Juergen

Heinz-Juergen Kronemeyer

Even if they use Ethernet, they have different Cat Commands.

But On topic.

I think, Thomas Problem with Elad was, they didn't sell a Ready to Use PTT Cable for the 817. And some misunderstands in the Communication with Elad. And he didn't put all Information in his first Post, so we misunderstood him too. He wasn't really asking for help, it was more a Frustration Post i think. Hope he feels better now. :-)
The Duo-Art doesn't send PTT via CAT Command, so a separate PPT Cable is needed. The Schematic in the Duo-Art Manual has a little glitch (or not, depends on what kind of Interface is used). PTT in the Schematic is shown going to the AGC Port where the CAT Interface is connected. But PTT is available at the Data Port. Could be misunderstood. With the CT-62 Interface, PTT is not available. A separate PTT Cable must used from the Data Port of the 817. There is no Ready to use Cable for that, so it must be soldered by the User. No Rocket Science.
I bought my first Military Surplus Radio a week ago. That's some kind of Rocket Science to get all Connectors, Cables, Plugs and Audio Equipment together without Schematics and little Information. But it is Fun.

What I've learned from this Thread:

Always put all Informations in the first Post.
Ask the Community for Help if the Company doesn't understand your Problem.
If you are on the way to blame the Company, count to 10, drink a beer, sleep overnight, laugh and hit DEL.
I'm not a Yaesu FT-817 Owner nor i want to buy one. But i know now everything what is needed to connect it to the Duo-Art. Only by reading Manuals and a little Internet research.
And it is always a good Idea to know, where the hot End of your soldering iron is.

Have Fun and a nice Weekend.

73 de Heinz-Juergen

[...]

Klaus Brosche, DK3QN <dk3qn@...>

Exactly, Heinz-Juergen ;-)

Klaus, DK3QN

Am 18.01.2020 um 16:24 schrieb Heinz-Juergen Kronemeyer:

[...]

GE,

My perception is, that this forum, btw. IMHO a very 'resonable' one compared to some others, is not in a sort of 'complaining about something mode',
but quite supportive in helping other ELAD users in sorting-out issues with their equipment.

'Clap-clap-clap' to the members and contributors!

I would also like to express my appreciation to Vianney from ELAD for his participation here and his posts on technical matters.

Such a degree of attendance and contribution from a product vendor is not common, not to say 'zero', e.g. in forums re. IKY products.

Klaus, DK3QN
Friedberg, Bavaria

[...]

I apologise if I've come across as a "shouter" but I am genuinely frustrated by the situation. I'm a Foundation Licence holder and freely admit to knowing bugger-all about schematics and electronics. I'm not stupid though and I am perfectly capable of putting a cable together and soldering it if I just know which pins go to what.

I've drawn an image showing how the CT-62 cable is currently configured - that works in the DUO-ART and communicates the Freq/Band - but I now need to know which pins to connect a jack-plug to.  So if anyone can tell me reliably which pins the Light Blue and the Dark Blue leads go, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tom.

Heinz-Juergen Kronemeyer

Hello Thomas,

you can't use the ACC Port and the CT-62 for the PTT Line. It does not exist at the ACC Port. Look in the 817 Manual Page 7 at the Data Port Schematic. There is a Pin named PTT. That's the PTT Line. Light Blue should go there and Dark Blue to GND. So you need a Plug for the Data Port.

Using the CT-62 Interface for CAT Control, the TX-Command is send via the Control Software on your PC. The Duo-Art does not send this TX-Command. So you need the PTT Cable to the Data Port, where the PTT Line is. When the 817 goes into TX, it switches the PTT Pin to the Ground Pin and the Duo-Art should go into TX.

73 de Heinz-Juergen

I apologise if I've come across as a "shouter" but I am genuinely frustrated by the situation. I'm a Foundation Licence holder and freely admit to knowing bugger-all about schematics and electronics. I'm not stupid though and I am perfectly capable of putting a cable together and soldering it if I just know which pins go to what.

I've drawn an image showing how the CT-62 cable is currently configured - that works in the DUO-ART and communicates the Freq/Band - but I now need to know which pins to connect a jack-plug to.  So if anyone can tell me reliably which pins the Light Blue and the Dark Blue leads go, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tom.

Thomas McQuiggan <m7mcqio83ro@...>

Okay, that conflicts with ELAD's wiring config, but I suspect you are right and I will order a suitable connector.

Many thanks for your help (I'll contact you if the rig or amp explodes) :-)))))

Regards,
Tom.
M7MCQ

Neil Smith G4DBN

Several schematics I've seen use the 817 TX GND as an output to key an external amplifier. PTT is an input, which just happens to get pulled to ground when you key the microphone, so you *could* use it, but the TX GND is the normal way to tell an amplifier to go to transmit, isn't it?

If the PTT connection is to set the DUO-ART to transmit, is it not possible to use the TX GND pin for that as per the Elad diagram that Tom has?  Works that way on all my transverters and for the DUO. Apologies if I am mistaken because of an error in the manual, I don't have an 817 to try.  I am assuming that TX GND is an open-drain PTT OUT or EOT (earthed on transmit) connection.

Neil G4DBN

On 19/01/2020 15:28, Heinz-Juergen Kronemeyer wrote:

[...]

I also didn't own a 817 and i would do some measurement before soldering a cable. PTT to Ground should work when i read the Duo-Art Manual correctly.

2/3- PTT in/out3.5mm jack connectors.

PTT in: Input for transmit control, connect TIP to ground to put the amplifier in transmit state.

PTT out: The TIP goes to ground while transmitting

Maybe there is a 817 Owner who could tell some more?

[...]

And this, my friends, is why I felt the frustration in the first place, LOL.

I now have two very clever and highly knowledgeable Ham Operators who cannot quite agree on the right solution. So how is a lowly inexperienced operator supposed to resolve this?

That's why I believe that ELAD (who got my £2000) should be coming up with a simple wiring diagram to permit me to build one. After all, it was ELAD who put this facility in place - they MUST have had all the YAESU information on hand at the design stage?

I thank Neil and Heinz for their help and will probably try the 8-pin ACC/CT-62 for CAT Control and the 6-pin DATA port's PTT for the jack-plug, despite the ELAD layout diagram showing only the ACC port being used.

Tom - M7MCQ

Neil Smith G4DBN

I could be wrong, but we could both also be right as I think either method *will* work, but it just seems a little less hassle (and, to me, *slightly* more correct) to use the TX GND pin in the ACC seeing as you already have the interface thingy.  Using the PTT will be OK unless you connect some other device to trigger PTT on the 817, like a voice keyer or something, and the voltages are not quite compatible.  Highly unlikely.  Only other thing might be if the 817 has a sequencing delay or something which works on the TX GND output.

Good luck Tom. We are all just fumbling about in the dark, some of us old-timers might sound like we know what we are talking about, but it's just that we've already made most of the possible mistakes.

Neil

On 19/01/2020 23:28, Thomas McQuiggan wrote:

And this, my friends, is why I felt the frustration in the first place, LOL.

I now have two very clever and highly knowledgeable Ham Operators who cannot quite agree on the right solution. So how is a lowly inexperienced operator supposed to resolve this?

That's why I believe that ELAD (who got my £2000) should be coming up with a simple wiring diagram to permit me to build one. After all, it was ELAD who put this facility in place - they MUST have had all the YAESU information on hand at the design stage?

I thank Neil and Heinz for their help and will probably try the 8-pin ACC/CT-62 for CAT Control and the 6-pin DATA port's PTT for the jack-plug, despite the ELAD layout diagram showing only the ACC port being used.

Tom - M7MCQ

Heinz-Juergen Kronemeyer

And sometimes.....

I was wrong. Did a little research and yes, Elad shows it right.
Mea Culpa. Mea Maxima Culpa.

TX-GND (Pin 2) to GND (Pin 3) on the ACC Port is used for keying a external Amp. I think, GND is always connected via the CT-62 to the Duo-Art. So the Tip from the 3.5mm Plug must be connected to TX-GND. That could be some kind of challenge with this little ACC Plug. Hopefully, the Cable to the DB9 Plug is fully connected. That would be a little bit easier.

The PTT on the DATA Port is for a external PTT Switch like a Foot switch.

73 de Heinz-Juergen

And this, my friends, is why I felt the frustration in the first place, LOL.

I now have two very clever and highly knowledgeable Ham Operators who cannot quite agree on the right solution. So how is a lowly inexperienced operator supposed to resolve this?

That's why I believe that ELAD (who got my £2000) should be coming up with a simple wiring diagram to permit me to build one. After all, it was ELAD who put this facility in place - they MUST have had all the YAESU information on hand at the design stage?

I thank Neil and Heinz for their help and will probably try the 8-pin ACC/CT-62 for CAT Control and the 6-pin DATA port's PTT for the jack-plug, despite the ELAD layout diagram showing only the ACC port being used.

Tom - M7MCQ

Heinz-Juergen Kronemeyer

As i said, HAM Radio Operators Life is always a Learning Curve.
I was on the wrong Path. TX GND is the right way.

73 de Heinz-Juergen