DUO ART 120 Fan Noise

Mark Erbaugh <mark.election@...>

I've been using my DUO ART for a few weeks now and the fans seem a little loud. I previously discussed how much the fans were running and that is apparently normal. I demonstrated my DUO ART for another FDM-DUO user and he said that if he had been considering the DUO ART, the fan noise has made him decide against it.  We were in his shack when he first heard the fans and made his comment. He commented that at the time, the fan was running in is 600w ALS600 amp, which it was, but you could barely hear it. Given the small size of the fans, I assume that my noise level is normal, but I'd like to hear from other DUO ART 120 users their comments on the fan noise level.

Franco Milan

The actual software on DUO-ART during TX  drive the fan at full speed, trying to obtaining the maximum usable time as possible at full power (key down).

Since this is not need in normal SSB QSO, we are preparing now a menu option for use of the fans where we will slow down the speed of the fans when the internal temperature is still low.

After some test we will publish the new software and some datas on dropping temperature protection depending on the working condition and fan control settings.

73, Franco IU3ADL

On 19 Jul 2018, at 21:20, Mark Erbaugh <mark.election@...> wrote:

I've been using my DUO ART for a few weeks now and the fans seem a little loud. I previously discussed how much the fans were running and that is apparently normal. I demonstrated my DUO ART for another FDM-DUO user and he said that if he had been considering the DUO ART, the fan noise has made him decide against it.  We were in his shack when he first heard the fans and made his comment. He commented that at the time, the fan was running in is 600w ALS600 amp, which it was, but you could barely hear it. Given the small size of the fans, I assume that my noise level is normal, but I'd like to hear from other DUO ART 120 users their comments on the fan noise level.

Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica sono riservate e confidenziali e ne e vietata la diffusione in qualunque modo eseguita (DL 196/2003). Qualora Lei non fosse la persona a cui il presente messaggio e destinato, La invitiamo ad eliminarlo e a non leggerlo, dandone gentilmente comunicazione al mittente.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may well also be legally privileged (DL 196/2003). If you are not among the named recipients, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system, do not use the contents for any purpose whatsoever nor disclose them to anyone else.

Mark Erbaugh <mark.election@...>

Thanks for the information.

On Jul 19, 2018, at 4:01 PM, Franco Milan <franco@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim AJ8S

I also use the DUO ART to drive my ALS-600 linear. I have the same situation. The fans in the ART are much louder than the ALS-600 fans. I would be interested to know how hot the ART finals can safely run and whether adding some series resistance or maybe a circuit so that the ART fans run at a lower speed at least until the temperature gets too high. Any one else have experience with this?