Topics

ASW-2 and Icom 7300 First Steps

Bill Alpert

I decided on the Elad Antenna switch to use my FDM-S2 receiver alongside my Icom 7300. The unit arrived today and hooked it up immediately.

It feels solid and well built. And it does seem to be working as designed, though I do have some questions, if you are familiar with the unit.

1. The receive audio (and signal level) from my Elad SDR seems to drop several S units if my Icom rig is switched off. That's making me think that both units need to be powered on, even if I'm just listening. Does that seem correct?
2. When I power on the Icom, not only does the signal and audio from the Elad SDR come up, it also seems like the noise level comes up too. Or is this just my imagination? Both units are on my desk, just a few inches apart. Do I need to cut some longer coax?
3. Using the ASW-2 effectively turns the 7300 into a transmitter only, as no receive signal is presented to the 7300. Wondering if there's a workaround so that both receivers can be used.
4. I'm using an Icom AH4 remote tuner. Is there any reason that it wouldn't work correctly when the transmitted signal is routed though the ASW-2. Seems like my SWR is higher, though I don't yet have a conclusive measurement on that yet.
5. And finally, with the ASW-2 is it possible to route signal so that two antennas can be used? I was considering using a receive loop that is located adjacent to my transmit antenna, a GR5V Jr. Thank you!

--
73 de Bill / KG6NRV

Klaus Brosche, DK3QN

re. #2 and #4:

how do you power your AH-4 remote tuner?
Through the 4-pin tuner jack on the rear of your IC-7300?
IF 'yes': the very moment you switch-off your IC-7300, the
power supply to the tuner is turned off as well.
I'm not too familiar with the AH-4. I would guess that it
falls back into bypass mode which then leaves you with
an unmatched antenna.
Which could be the reason why you see a lower signal
and noise level on your ELAD RX.

My 2 cents.

Klaus, DK3QN

Am 12.11.2019 um 07:54 schrieb Bill Alpert:

[...]

Hi Bill,
maybe it is worth a try:

Interconnect the Icom Radios (34) and other Radios (Omni-Rig) with the Elad FDM-SW2.

"Freeware"
"RadioFrequency" (TCP, SerialPort (RS-232) + OmniRig)
"RadioFrequency_S" (Small + limited x TCP, OmniRig) SerialPort (RS-232) only x Icom S-Meter)

With the TCP connection any SW2 command can be input and read as clear Text (what Hercules is not showing)

https://groups.io/g/EladSDR/message/15639

Nota: the Icom 7300 Ci-V is not yet included. I will add this ID and inform all RadioFrequency user via e-mail only.

Raimund
.

Bill Alpert

Hi Klaus, you were right-on regarding the AH-4. The bypass mode reduces the signal; I tested using another antenna without the tuner in series.

Still having an issue with remote tuning, the tuning signal does seem to be making it though the switch box.
--
Bill / KG6NRV

Bill Alpert

HI Raimund, thanks for this. Wish I could your the screen shots better. They are low resolution. I would love to use a CAT connection between the two radios. Thank you!
--
Bill / KG6NRV

Klaus Brosche, DK3QN

re. #3 and #5: could be done with a 2-way 50 Ohm splitter (1 input / 2 outputs and vice versa. Can be used both ways).

And here is the drawback for both #3 and #5:

You MUST NOT transmit on the IC-7300 in both setups! You can use the IC-7300 in RX mode only!
IF you do transmit in this config, you'll quite likely damage all or most units involved in this setup.
You must make sure that the IC-7300 cannot go to transmit, under no circumstances!
Please take that very seriously!

The IC-7300 (to my knowledge) has no dedicated RX-only antenna input. RX/TX both go via
the one and only SO-239 connector at the rear!