Newer MD3 Digital AM in North America... Codecs or support for Elad?

Darren Hennig

Hi all,

Just a quick question for Paul and the gang at Elad. We are starting to see an insurgence of new MD3 mode digital AM in mainly the US, but I cannot find whether this mode will be supported eventually or if it is in work. If it is being planned to be an add on, or there's a third party codec coming, this would be good to know.

For now it is not an issue, but I can see this creating a real challenge in the not-too-distant future - I really wish DRM had taken hold in N. Am., instead of this goofy IBOC/Ubiquity format. DRM seems to work pretty well in the Elad DUOr, though not a lot of DX stations in the middle of the continent have enough signal to stream well right now.

Will there be a MD3 support for North America coming shortly, Paul? TIA!
--
Darren Hennig,
VE4VE - Winnipeg MB Canada

Bjarne Mjelde

Not pretending to respond on behalf of Elad - just a general comment.
The so-called HD format is proprietary, and Ibiquity (now: DTS) seem to make their money from both the receiver side and the transmitter side in the form of licenses. Even if it was possible to enable HD with current SDRs (without having to add chipsets), my guess is that the licensing fees would be prohibitive for the limited market of amateur-grade SDRs. I'd also guess that only a fraction of our marked would be interested in HD Radio as DX targets.
--
Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

Winston

Paying for license upgrades to enable additional decoding modes — similar to how Uniden charges for scanner upgrade keys — would probably be popular with many users, including myself.

Chris Mackerell

Paying a license fee is the only way you'll get
"HD Radio" decoding. It's the US free enterprise
system at work. It is a totally commercial standard.
You want it? You buy it!

73 Chris