From: EladSDR@groups.io <EladSDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of chennu via groups.io
Sent: Friday, April 2, 2021 4:15 PM
To: EladSDR@groups.io
Subject: [EladSDR] SW2 software shuts down after random amoutn of time

Anyone else see this? PC is stable and the SW2 software comes right back up when i double click..
This is on a FDM-S3. latest windows 10 build on the TGL NUC
Srinivas

Srinivas Chennupaty

Dont have virus-scan..  did not see defender come on during the time..

Experimenting with what causes it. If I minimze the window (tuned to a station) it seems stable so far for over 30 min..

will keep poking.

Srinivas

On Friday, April 2, 2021, 01:20:04 PM PDT, Bill Nollman <billct97@...> wrote:

Never seen that one.

Maybe virus scan software/Windows Defender doing an hourly scan?

Bill

Anyone else see this? PC is stable and the SW2 software comes right back up when i double click..
This is on a FDM-S3. latest windows 10 build on the TGL NUC
Srinivas

Bill Nollman

I’ve seen the waterfall on SW2 freeze, turning into a smear and audio stops. That seems to be the most common crash I’ve seen over 5+ years of using SW2. But for the GUI to close completely I can’t say that has happened to me very often if ever and not on a recurring basis.

I assume you have turned off any screen savers and maybe set the Windows Power settings to “High Performance”. All just guesses.

Bill

Anyone else see this? PC is stable and the SW2 software comes right back up when i double click..
This is on a FDM-S3. latest windows 10 build on the TGL NUC
Srinivas

Srinivas Chennupaty

Bill -
yes no screen savers and never power off (this is a desktop system).
thanks for the suggestions. Maybe the minimzed window bypasses the waterfall issue?

Srinivas

Von: "Albert Krusbersky" <sxdnhpfdn@...>
An: EladSDR@groups.io

--
Der Unterschied zwischen Theorie und Praxis ist in der Praxis noch größer als in der Theorie.

Erstellt auf einer lizensierten Standart-Tolleranz-Maschiene mit String-Taste.

Ron Hunsicker

I've found that it happens from time to time.  Inconsistently, unpredictably, and without obvious cause.  Last night, for instance, at 0300 local time, the SW2 software was fine.  At 0930 local when I returned to the computer, the software was frozen.  (I believe that it is a software-thing because my S3 did not have to be restarted to resolve the shutdown.)  SW2 stops and holds the appearance of the SW2 window--it freezes with a static image in the SW2 window.  Usually, a rude word or two, shut SW2 down for 15 or 20 seconds, restart, and all is well. Very occasionally, and I have seen this running both an S2 and and S3, the hardware must be shut down and restarted to clear the problem.  Very, very occasionally I have had to reboot my computer, but that was with earlier versions of the SW2 software (running 3.49 here).

SW2 will run happily for days, including sleep modes, in my desktop (which has plenty of grunt) which is on 24/7, thus "occasionally."  "Without obvious cause" because there was no thunder or lightning, Windows last updated on 12 March, Norton did nothing unusual, and I've set the other programs to "ask first."

Since I rarely record spectrum, the shut-downs are not fatal, just annoying.

Ron

han hardonk

This is a  familiar issue for me.

If SW2 is used together with CSV userlist it will stop within an half hour. But not always in the same time.

Used without CSV Userlist I often found it the next morning (radio on for decoding DSC) it had stopped working. Both frozen screen or completely disappeared.

This is one of the reasons I do not use the perfect sounding SW2 software. I would love to use the software but it is to unstable and has several things that do not work as it should. I have made tickets for the faults in the software. But they are not addressed (yet, after 2 years)

Han Hardonk
Elad DUOr

Michael Greenwood

I used to have my SW2 software freeze randomly with my FDM DUO. I was was using a external powered hub, but since plugging directly in to the computer USB port has been completely stable. Any disturbances on the external hub would crash the software.

Mike

Glenn Blum

If you have too many items plugged into he same hub that the DUO is running then you may have a power  issue. I think what is occurring that you may have a under voltage problem at the hub causing the DUO to have issues. I run my FDM-S2 and a SDR Play over a 50 foot USB 3 repeater cable with a powered USB3 hub at the SDR end of the cable and runs fantastic.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I used to have my SW2 software freeze randomly with my FDM DUO. I was was using a external powered hub, but since plugging directly in to the computer USB port has been completely stable. Any disturbances on the external hub would crash the software.

Mike

Antony Watts

Hi

I find that SW2 freezes when the computer goes to sleep and I wake it up again…

Antony
M0IFA

Glenn Blum

That will happen. In the power options for the computer when you run at power saver the computer can go into a sleep or suspend mode to also include USB shutting down as part of that plan.