FDM-S3 restart after PC restart/power outage - question for support and other S3 users

Bjarne Mjelde

I have been testing the S3 today, including taking it through some of the situations which happen on a remote, sometimes unaccessible place.
If I do a restart of the PC, or if I simulate a power outage, the FDM-S3 cannot be reached again. I need to unplug and replub the USB cable for it to be visible. I suspect this is due to the Cypress USB bootloader. I experienced identical symptoms when I tested the RX888 last year. It too had a Cypress USB bootloader.

Now, this is a showstopper. However, one should never rule out operator error or other local problems. So if anyone have observed the same, I would like to know. And if Elad is aware of this, I would be very interested in finding a solution, so that the SDR can be connected to after a PC restart or a power outage. This is a number one priority for me if I am to keep the S3.
--
Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

Andy G4JNT

How about a four pole relay that disconnects the USB and reconnects as needed.   Use a small one (two relays probably to get 4 contacts) and keep wires as short as possible and you shouldn't upset USB operation
 Or opto-coupled AC FET solid state relays

On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 at 14:31, Bjarne Mjelde <bjarne.mjelde@...> wrote:
[...]

Otso Ylönen

Hello Bjarne,

I experience the same issue sometimes with my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad P50). I need to shut down the laptop and switch off the S3 to save battery when I listen at my off-grid cottage. It seems that perhaps half of the time I need to reconnect the USB cable after booting up the laptop.

A remote controllable USB switch should do the trick to overcome this issue if there is no software fix.

BR, Otso

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 01. April 2021 um 13:31 Uhr
Von: "Bjarne Mjelde" <bjarne.mjelde@...>
An: EladSDR@groups.io
Betreff: [EladSDR] FDM-S3 restart after PC restart/power outage - question for support and other S3 users
[...]

Willi Westrupp

Bjarne tnx for the problem. Same here. You need (1) a Script that restarts the NUC and Console e.g. and a time switch for activating S3 after restart. Or (2) if you are with the S3 close and start Console and switch on S3 after this done.

In a 12 V environment live mine the whole System works perfect when the S3 is powered all the time. I restart the NUC with WOSB software. Its always connecting this way.

73 Willi

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 01. April 2021 um 13:31 Uhr
Von: "Bjarne Mjelde" <bjarne.mjelde@...>
An: EladSDR@groups.io
[...]

Thanks for your responses.
I tested 1) turn off Lenovo, 2) turn off S3, 3) turn on Lenovo, 4) turn on S3. This worked.
So, in order to get the S3 up and running again, I need to be able to switch the S3 off and on via the internet.
Any suggestions how to go forward?
--
Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

Winston

You can use a smart plug connected to the internet and use the plug app to control the power.

Richard Langley

Something like:
https://www.amazon.com/MSNSwitch-Internet-Enabled-Remote-Switch/dp/B081TKJJBS/ref=sr_1_7
with European sockets? Many choices available just search on Internet-Enabled-Remote-Switch or similar.
-- Richard Langley

| Richard B. Langley E-mail: lang@unb.ca |
| Geodetic Research Laboratory Web: http://gge.unb.ca |
| Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering Phone: +1 506 453-5142 |
| University of New Brunswick |
| Fredericton, N.B., Canada E3B 5A3 |
| Fredericton? Where's that? See: http://www.fredericton.ca/ |

I tested 1) turn off Lenovo, 2) turn off S3, 3) turn on Lenovo, 4) turn on S3. This worked.
So, in order to get the S3 up and running again, I need to be able to switch the S3 off and on via the internet.
Any suggestions how to go forward?
--
Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com
Remote receivers:
arcticsdr.ddns.net:8073/
kongsdr.ddns.net:8074

Bjarne Mjelde

Winston: Yes, in fact I have one. The problem is these devices emit lots of RFI, so I'm afraid it's not an option.
Richard: I was looking at devices like that, and I even found one with dual-voltage, EU-plug. The cost was rather prohibitive though, close to USD 300. There is a GSM device that was used a lot in Norway before rural broadband, I might check that one out.
--
Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

Guido Schotmans

Hello Bjarne,

I’m using a SonOff in the power lead of my remote NUC. Dirt cheap and I didn’t notice RFI yet, but I’m not in an environment comparable to Norhtern Norway. Worth to give it a try.

73,

Guido.