Gesendet: Freitag, 22. Januar 2021 um 17:02 Uhr
Von: "Paul Jones" <support@...>
An: EladSDR@groups.io
Betreff: [EladSDR] S3 article by Nils DK8OK

Ron Hunsicker

DK80K's observations are the first that I have seen that are more "review" than "sales pitch."  Are there other reviews out there?  This morning I Googled (English only)  and found nothing current.  Long ago Tom Witherspoon of The SWLing Post wrote that he would review the S3.  Does he have one?  How about other regularly reviewers of HF gear?

BTW:  Since late November, I have been a very happy owner of an S3 with the crystal oven.

Ron

Willi Westrupp

dxerscorner.tikishop.de. Review on Installation issues on win8.1. BLOGSITE.
73 Willi

Am 24. Januar 2021 16:47:45 MEZ schrieb "Ron Hunsicker via groups.io" <ronhunsi@...>:

DK80K's observations are the first that I have seen that are more "review" than "sales pitch."  Are there other reviews out there?  This morning I Googled (English only)  and found nothing current.  Long ago Tom Witherspoon of The SWLing Post wrote that he would review the S3.  Does he have one?  How about other regularly reviewers of HF gear?

BTW:  Since late November, I have been a very happy owner of an S3 with the crystal oven.

Ron

Clint

Hi Ron,

I have an S3. It was sent to me by the Editor of Radio User magazine (UK) to test and write a review for a future edition - probably out in March.

So far I've had issues getting it to communicate with any of my computers - although that's hopefully now sorted. No such problems with the FDM DUO I purchased about 5 years ago and has been in constant use ever since.

Thus far, performance of the S3 in terms of sensitivity and selectivity appears to be very similar to the DUO, but let's see. It needs to be better for the S3 to work as a product IMO.

I have a YouTube channel: Oxford Shortwave Log: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtXnzopFIr6wTIA6QwIeLw

Here you will find literally 100s of reception videos using the DUO. Many videos featuring the S3 will appear here once my written article for Radio User has been published.

By the way, I copied and recorded audio from Mongolia on longwave using the DUO a few nights ago, with a Wellbrook ALA1530 magnetic loop. If anything I've done over the past five years demonstrates the performance of the DUO with a good antenna, that was it. A video of this reception also appears on Oxford Shortwave Log.

73s,

Clint M0OXF

Ron Hunsicker

Clint:  I had no problems starting and running the S3.  I was running an FDM-S2 with a stout W10 computer that was up to date.  I had installed SW2 version 3.047.  When i unplugged the S2 and plugged in the S3, the S3 started without a hitch.  I was going to run the S2 in parallel, but my experience with the S3 has been so good that the S2 is back in its original shipping box.

Willi:  Thanks for the link.

Best regards,

Ron

Nils Schiffhauer

... exactly the same goes for me, Ron. 73 Nils, DK8OK

--
dk8ok.org

Bill Nollman

Same here. While I often run the S3 on batteries the S2 running off USB power is sometimes preferred for mobile operation!
Bill

... exactly the same goes for me, Ron. 73 Nils, DK8OK

Am 25.01.2021 um 13:36 schrieb Ron Hunsicker via groups.io:
Clint: I had no problems starting and running the S3. I was running an FDM-S2 with a stout W10 computer that was up to date. I had installed SW2 version 3.047. When i unplugged the S2 and plugged in the S3, the S3 started without a hitch. I was going to run the S2 in parallel, but my experience with the S3 has been so good that the S2 is back in its original shipping box.

Willi: Thanks for the link.

Best regards,

Ron
--
dk8ok.org

Paul White

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 01:41 PM, Otso Ylönen wrote:
Milliherz accuracy, wow!
That assumes you have a well-calibrated receiver. Otherwise only relative offsets are meaningful.