FDM-SW2 Recording -- Empty File

Jerry

I set up a scheduled recording (by right clicking on the "record" icon) last night to record the MW band starting at 8:59pm local time on 10/11 and ending at 3:01am local time the next morning (10/12). Center frequency and LO frequency of 1100 kHz. 1536 kHz bandwidth, demod: AM.

I have the maximum file size set to 2GB and the maximum number of files set to 120.

The recording started as expected at 8:59. When I looked at the directory it was saving the files to this morning, I was expecting to see a bunch of 2GB files. Instead, I see a single file named SchedRec_2020_10_12_03_59_00_1110000_FDMSW2_Rec_RF_000.wav with a file size of 0 bytes. It appears from the filename that the first file in the set was created at 0359 UTC (which corresponds to 8:59pm local time), but nothing was saved in it.

This is the first time I've tried recording for more than about an hour. Is there some configuration issue that I'm missing here that would cause the recording to either not to be made or to be zeroed out at the end of the recording period? As a test, I set up a scheduled recording this morning with the same parameters (except start and end times) and it's been running for about 25 minutes now and I see several 2GB files in the recordings directory, so it seems to be working, but it remains to be seen whether the files are still there after the recording ends.

System: 16-core AMD Threadripper CPU, 128 GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, Windows 10 Pro. The system is set to never go to sleep.
Receiver: FDM-S2
Software: FDM-SW2 v3.027

Bill Nollman

Jerry;

What version of SW2 are you using? I used to have that problem a lot way back in the v1.xxx SW2.

Since upgrading to v3.xxx (I recommend v3.042) the recording scheduler has been nearly perfect.

The latest updates and v3.042 are here.

http://eladit.com/download/sdr/FDM-sw2%20Software/Under%20test/index.php?lang=EN

But you need to install the v3.027 full version first to get all the other required software before doing the update.

http://eladit.com/download/sdr/FDM-sw2%20Software/Current%20release/index.php?lang=EN

Bill

[...]

Bill,

I'm running SW2 v3.027. That's the only version I've ever run, so there shouldn't be any mismatch with components from an earlier version.

I'm generally leery of running "software under test" -- is v3.042 stable enough so this isn't a concern? If you think it is, I'll give it a try.

If I do install v3.042, do I just run the installer and let it install over v3.027?

Bill Nollman

It’s all under test. What software these days isn’t?  Yes, just run the v3.042 update over v3.027.

If you are concerned about doing an upgrade make a backup copy of the ELAD folder in your user directory – for example C:\Users\[your-name]\Documents\ELAD

If everything goes south you can uninstall SW2, delete the ELAD folder, install v3.027 again and copy back the original ELAD folder.

Bill

I'm running SW2 v3.027. That's the only version I've ever run, so there shouldn't be any mismatch with components from an earlier version.

I'm generally leery of running "software under test" -- is v3.042 stable enough so this isn't a concern? If you think it is, I'll give it a try.

If I do install v3.042, do I just run the installer and let it install over v3.027?

Otso Ylönen

A friend of mine has had the very problem. I will ask what version of SW2 he had when it happened. Anyway, I think it has been either hardware or OS related.
I had it also years ago, but (fingers crossed) it has been ok for quite some time.

BR, Otso

Gesendet: Montag, 12. Oktober 2020 um 18:12 Uhr
Von: "Jerry" <jerry@...>
An: EladSDR@groups.io
Betreff: [EladSDR] FDM-SW2 Recording -- Empty File
[...]

I just installed v3.042 and it seems to be running normally. It's the first software (other than OS updates) that I've installed in years that required a reboot.

I'll try setting the same scheduled recording tonight and see what happens.

Bill Nollman

For what it’s worth I used to be able to duplicate that problem by rebooting the PC. The first recording would fail more often than not.

Bill