Headsets

Tim Hague M0AFJ <m0afj@...>

Does anyone know of a suitable headset with PTT to use with the FDM Duo?

73 Tim M0AFJ

Simon

You will have to make a breakout box..
Then you can use anything you like.

By breakout box, I mean a box with flying lead from it into rj mic socket and into phones socket.
From box you plug in your headset.

Christoph K. Schweiger

Hello Tim,

The ELAD uses the same Mic Wiring as ICOM, so any mic/headset with the pinout for ICOM will work.

Check out the RS55SL SuperLight Travel Headset from Arlan Communications (RadioSport) http://www.arlancommunications.com/products/amateurRadio/radioSport/rs101555SL.asp

It also has a jumper that has a right-angle plug for the headphones to keep the cable out of the way of front panel controls.  It also adds an inline PTT button.

73 Chris NE7EE

Tim Hague M0AFJ <m0afj@...>

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I’ll sort something out

Best Regards
Tim Hague

On 18 Sep 2020, at 18:52, Christoph K. Schweiger <ckschweiger@...> wrote:

Hello Tim,

The ELAD uses the same Mic Wiring as ICOM, so any mic/headset with the pinout for ICOM will work.

Check out the RS55SL SuperLight Travel Headset from Arlan Communications (RadioSport) http://www.arlancommunications.com/products/amateurRadio/radioSport/rs101555SL.asp

It also has a jumper that has a right-angle plug for the headphones to keep the cable out of the way of front panel controls.  It also adds an inline PTT button.

73 Chris NE7EE

David KK7SS <d3j452@...>

IMHO,  almost any headset will work if you can get an adaptor to fit the RJ  plug.
And right angle phone plug adaptors are plentiful...

Craig Williams KA6RWL

I use a Heil Pro 7 with a ICOM No Cap adapter and I get good reports.

Craig
KA6RWL

Neil Smith G4DBN

Heil Pro 7 with an HC5 dynamic insert, series capacitor and +12dB boost on mine and it works fine.  Icom inserts obviously better, and I had to make my own break-out for a footswitch

Neil G4DBN

On 18/09/2020 20:50, Craig Williams KA6RWL wrote:
I use a Heil Pro 7 with a ICOM No Cap adapter and I get good reports.

Craig
KA6RWL

Simon

This is all assuming you running elad direct.

Much better to use pc and say sdr console with headset into pc..that way one gets all the added equaliser benefits etc on rx and tx.

For those who have not tried sdrc with duo, give it ago..v3.24

On 18 Sep 2020, at 21:00, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@g4dbn.uk> wrote:

Heil Pro 7 with an HC5 dynamic insert, series capacitor and +12dB boost on mine and it works fine. Icom inserts obviously better, and I had to make my own break-out for a footswitch

Neil G4DBN

On 18/09/2020 20:50, Craig Williams KA6RWL wrote:
I use a Heil Pro 7 with a ICOM No Cap adapter and I get good reports.

Craig
KA6RWL

Klaus Brosche, DK3QN

Hi Tim, M0AFJ,

The rear Mike connector for DUO is 8-pin modular style, ICOM compatible.

For a headset with PTT outbound connection, I'd recommend visiting the
website

https://shop.eurofrequence.de/en

In the English version of his website, prices are in USD :-))
Dont't ask me why.

There, you can buy a complete headset or just an adapter to connect your
headphone to, plus this adapter can provide a PTT receptacle (for a foot-
switch, e.g.).

There, you neeed to specify your input and output connections for your
particular headset (Mike i.e.) plus the PTT connect plug details.

Whe are using one of his earlier headphone/mike devices with PTT
interface via Cinch at our club station.

I do not have any personal or business relation with that company at all!

73, Klaus, DK3QN

Am 18.09.2020 um 14:27 schrieb Tim Hague M0AFJ via groups.io:

Does anyone know of a suitable headset with PTT to use with the FDM Duo?

73 Tim M0AFJ

R GRAYSTOCK

Hello Simon. I agree with your comment regarding using a P.C, to get all the audio shaping etc.
To this end I have been looking for a headset+mic for some time.
Unfortunately I have heard many pros and cons for different manufacturers. Reading many of your
emails I have concluded that you have done quite a bit of work / trials on Elad ahd sdr kit.
Can I ask for your recommendation for a headset for communication? as distinct from studio work.
My laptop is from HP and tx is Elad + Duo.  IE mid range in expense terms.
Thanks for you contribution to the group
Regards Bob G4WHX

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 at 21:14, Simon <ohhellnotagain@...> wrote:
This is all assuming you running elad direct.

Much better to use pc and say sdr console with headset into pc..that way one gets all the added  equaliser benefits etc on rx and tx.

For those who have not tried sdrc with duo,  give it ago..v3.24

> On 18 Sep 2020, at 21:00, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
>
> Heil Pro 7 with an HC5 dynamic insert, series capacitor and +12dB boost on mine and it works fine.  Icom inserts obviously better, and I had to make my own break-out for a footswitch
>
> Neil G4DBN
>
>> On 18/09/2020 20:50, Craig Williams KA6RWL wrote:
>> I use a Heil Pro 7 with a ICOM No Cap adapter and I get good reports.
>>
>> Craig
>> KA6RWL

Neil Smith G4DBN

I use a Shure SM58 on a studio boom, going into a little Behringer mixer which sends analogue audio into my PC sound card.  I use the Heil Pro7 or a gaming headset for receive, I've also got some old Samson SR850 over-ear headphones that are nice to wear for long periods. I have tried the Heil and the gaming headset into the mixer, but it is just easier to plug the Heil directly into the DUO for the sort of radio I do.

The additional latency from using sound via the PC is a problem for contesting, where I am beaten by other stations unless I hit the footswitch while the CQing station is still talking.  For ragchewing it isn't an issue unless using VOX, when it does occasionally lead to doubling in a net where someone else started talking because they hadn't realised I had already pressed the PTT and started talking.  For conversational CW at high speeds, the receive latency is irritating, and of course you have to faff about putting the CW sidetone from the keyer or the DUO into a mixer channel to hear it directly instead of through the PC, otherwise keyer or hand CW is physically impossible.  Before I had the DUOs, I used to run full break-in CW, but that just doesn't seem possible with the DUO, and definitely not with audio via a PC.

I used to have a gaming headset, think it was a Fusion, can't recall the model, I gave it away to a needy gamer. That was very comfy and worked fine through the mixer.  I haven't tried the ultra-lightweight Sennheiser USB headset I use for work, but I prefer closed-cup headphones for radio and the Sennheisers are furiously expensive.  Gaming headsets are excellent value though, and designed for sad obsessives doing 18-hour red-eye gaming sessions.  Not sad obsessives doing 24 hour radio contests, no no no no, not at all.

Neil G4DBN

On 19/09/2020 04:27, R GRAYSTOCK via groups.io wrote:
Hello Simon. I agree with your comment regarding using a P.C, to get all the audio shaping etc.
To this end I have been looking for a headset+mic for some time.
Unfortunately I have heard many pros and cons for different manufacturers. Reading many of your
emails I have concluded that you have done quite a bit of work / trials on Elad ahd sdr kit.
Can I ask for your recommendation for a headset for communication? as distinct from studio work.
My laptop is from HP and tx is Elad + Duo.  IE mid range in expense terms.
Thanks for you contribution to the group
Regards Bob G4WHX

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 at 21:14, Simon <ohhellnotagain@...> wrote:
This is all assuming you running elad direct.

Much better to use pc and say sdr console with headset into pc..that way one gets all the added  equaliser benefits etc on rx and tx.

For those who have not tried sdrc with duo,  give it ago..v3.24

> On 18 Sep 2020, at 21:00, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
>
> Heil Pro 7 with an HC5 dynamic insert, series capacitor and +12dB boost on mine and it works fine.  Icom inserts obviously better, and I had to make my own break-out for a footswitch
>
> Neil G4DBN
>
>> On 18/09/2020 20:50, Craig Williams KA6RWL wrote:
>> I use a Heil Pro 7 with a ICOM No Cap adapter and I get good reports.
>>
>> Craig
>> KA6RWL

http://g4dbn.uk

PAUL-M7PVS

:) enjoying this feed very informative

> [...]

My laptop is from HP and tx is Elad + Duo.  IE mid range in expense terms.
Thanks for you contribution to the group
Regards Bob G4WHX

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 at 21:14, Simon <ohhellnotagain@...> wrote:
This is all assuming you running elad direct.

Much better to use pc and say sdr console with headset into pc..that way one gets all the added  equaliser benefits etc on rx and tx.

For those who have not tried sdrc with duo,  give it ago..v3.24

> On 18 Sep 2020, at 21:00, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
>
> Heil Pro 7 with an HC5 dynamic insert, series capacitor and +12dB boost on mine and it works fine.  Icom inserts obviously better, and I had to make my own break-out for a footswitch
>
> Neil G4DBN
>
>> On 18/09/2020 20:50, Craig Williams KA6RWL wrote:
>> I use a Heil Pro 7 with a ICOM No Cap adapter and I get good reports.

http://g4dbn.uk

Tim Hague M0AFJ <m0afj@...>

Thank you Klaus, I’d never heard of this company. I’ve ordered an adaptor to interface with my Heil Proset ic.

best 73
Tim M0AFJ

Simon

Hi

I have tried many, but not expensive types, wife would kill me if i spent £200+ on a heil.

To be fair though I am currently using a cheapo gaming headset..probably £20 worth..

I get people commenting without any prompts on how good the audio is.
They are closed ear types.
I use vb banana on the mic to get a good working ( free program) gate and compressor, this removes most of the background noise ( my shack is in the front room, along with tv Wife etc..)
I use Vox or ptt footswitch but mainly a modded mouse using x mouse program. This allows me to re map mouse buttons JUST on sdr program.. ie right click=tx etc.
I am using sdr console ..it has excellent tx and rx audio settings.different ones for dx ragchew etc..
The difference between recovered rx audio on weak signals between sw2 and sdrc is massive.

I agree with comments about latency though, not breaking into the dx pile up, but sometimes if station very quick in replying you miss your report or confirmation of callsign..

If you want a wireless headset DONOT buy Bluetooth set..do not work..high end gaming sets with there own non bluetooth type dongles do however..circa £100+
Ie razer turtle etc.some even have proper noise cancelling mics..( as used on aircraft carriers apparently.lol.)

Mag loop Simon

James Allen

Can anyone share with me how to set up the SW2 software to allow me to transmit from the PC. I can hear the pc microphone in the SW2 equalizer, and I can make the radio transmit in the tune mode. When I select the PTT button and talk I am not getting any transmit RF output.