Topics

"sdr_elad" Linux sampler - does anybody have it? #fdm-s2 #linux

Kevin Smallman

Hi there,

One of the reasons I invested in an SDR was to be able to make recordings on certain frequencies during the night.
I can see that the FDM-SW2 software provides this functionality, unfortunately I run Linux and it's annoying to maybe resort to installing a parallel Windows installation just for this one piece of software.

It looks like GNU Radio could do this, but I'd have to do a fair amount of work just to create this simple function.

At the moment I have GQRX working well for normal listening.  I found what I thought was the answer in a blog post by Michele Costantino here:  https://www.iu5hes.com/2016/10/08/elad-fdm-s2-linux-sampler-an-iq-sampler-for-linux-users-192k-only-at-the-moment

...but the links seem to have expired.  This seems to have been a semi-official bit of code he got from an Elad developer.

If anybody reads this and can send me that tool - "sdr_elad" - then thanks in advance.  It would be great to just set the firmware and use a simple command to specify a frequency and time to record, that's what Linux is supposed to be for.

I can't believe no-ones done this already.

Best regards,

Kevin

Giovanni Franza

Hi Kevin,
to link GQRX with FDM S1/S2/DUO you can use one of these packages, dipending on which system you are using:
http://www.eladit.com/download/sdr/Linux/elad-gqrx-1.2-raspberry.tgz
http://www.eladit.com/download/sdr/Linux/elad-gqrx-1.2-ubuntu-x86-32bit.tgz
http://www.eladit.com/download/sdr/Linux/elad-gqrx-1.2-ubuntu-x86.tgz
In general you can find some linux related stuff into:
http://www.eladit.com/download/sdr/Linux/index.php?lang=EN
Hope this can help,

Giovanni - HB9EIK

Kevin Smallman

Hi Giovanni,

I already have GQRX working successfully and the audio is very good.  The tool I was looking for was posted on the blog linked in my message, this is what he said:

As promised, i’m releasing elad_sdr.  The main code has been developed by Giovanni Franza (an Elad’s programmer), i’ve only adapted the code to have a custom frequency, number of samples and some other little things.  Inside the archive you’ll find 3 files: elad_sdr_24.c , elad_sdr_24.c and the Makefile. Just unzip in a folder and do “make” then “sudo make install”.

Now you can use elad_sdr_24 and elad_sdr_32.

elad_sdr_24 will sample 24 bit integer i/q to stdout
elad_sdr_32 will sample 32 bit float i/q to stdout
The utility requires only 2 parameters: the frequency and how many seconds you want to sample:
elad_sdr_24 7070000 20 will sample 20 seconds of iq on 7070000 to stdout.

REMEMBER THAT THESE 2 UTILITIES WORKS ONLY ON 192K ELAD FIRMWARE.

IF YOU USE MORE THAN 192K SAMPLERATE YOU’VE TO CHANGE SOME LINES OF CODE INSIDE THE SOURCECODE (AND PLEASE, IF YOU DO, LET ME KNOW).REMEMBER TO LOAD THE FIRMWARE BEFORE USING THESE 2 UTILITIES!!!!.

I think his name is Michele Costantino.

I wanted this as well as GQRX, because GQRX does not (as far as I can see) have the ability to record streams on a timer, like SW2 does.
I thought I could use this * elad_sdr * linux command with the shell to make recordings while I'm away from the computer, such as overnight MW DXing.

Kevin

Antony Watts

I know I may be beating my head against a brick wall, but I am on Macs (also Unix based). So is GQRX. So any chance of somehow compiling the elad_sdr code into GQRX so that we can have a “single click” install on Mac to use the ELAD FDM-DUO with this software?

73

Antony
M0IFA

Giovanni Franza

Hi Kevin,
I have no link to Michele Costantino, so I don't know what he made.
If you have a S1/S2 you must first program the internal FPGA via USB using something like:
http://www.eladit.com/download/sdr/Linux/elad-firmware-2.4-ubuntu-32
after that you can use this program to get a stream ofr I/Q samples on stdout:
http://www.eladit.com/download/sdr/Linux/elad-local-1.0.tgz
This program can also be used with DUO, using 192kS/s, without programming the internal FPGA.

Hope this helps,

Giovanni - HB9EIK

Giovanni Franza

Hi Antony,
I do not know elad_sdr, but I've been successfully in compiling my various code on my wife's mac,
so I think that it should be possible. once you have sources and a bit of patience ...

Regards,

Giovanni - HB9EIK

Kevin Smallman

OK thanks Giovanni, maybe the Elad elad-local is what I need. Maybe
he just edited that code himself.

Best regards,

Kevin

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 at 20:04, Giovanni Franza <gfranza@mgeng.net> wrote:

Hi Kevin,
I have no link to Michele Costantino, so I don't know what he made.
If you have a S1/S2 you must first program the internal FPGA via USB using something like:
http://www.eladit.com/download/sdr/Linux/elad-firmware-2.4-ubuntu-32
after that you can use this program to get a stream ofr I/Q samples on stdout:
http://www.eladit.com/download/sdr/Linux/elad-local-1.0.tgz
This program can also be used with DUO, using 192kS/s, without programming the internal FPGA.

Hope this helps,

Giovanni - HB9EIK

Antony Watts

Givanni. I am listening very carefully! “Compiled on Mac…” Now we are getting somewhere. Maybe I can live in hope of FDM-SW2 of GQRX “dmg” for Mac…

Ciao

Antony
M0IFA

Kevin Smallman

Update - yes that works for me, now I just have to write some kind of
bash script to record at certain times/frequencies. Maybe I could use
cron.

Thanks Giovanni

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 at 10:39, Antony Watts via groups.io
<antonywatts=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Givanni. I am listening very carefully! “Compiled on Mac…” Now we are getting somewhere. Maybe I can live in hope of FDM-SW2 of GQRX “dmg” for Mac…

Ciao

Antony
M0IFA

Giovanni Franza

Hi Antony,
this is what I've done some time ago for GQRX and S1/S2/DUO on MAC
http://www.eladit.com/download/sdr/Linux/elad-gqrx-1.2-mac.tgz
Launching the program it sets the environment for GQRX,
loads (if needed on S1/S2) firmware,
starts reception to extract I/Q samples,
launches GQRX and uses TCP/IP for commands between GQRX and ELAD device.
It has a problem with frequency tuning by clicking on the waterfall, so do not use this feature.
(the problem is related to the management of center frequency, and hardware frequency and
cannot be solved without the help of GQRX programmers)
Hope this helps,

Giovanni - HB9EIK