Topics

FDM-ART Menu item 22 #elad #duo-art

David KK7SS

What occurs if Menu item is set to 0 ?

Does the ATU try to find the best match and stop?

What happens if it's set to 1.5 and the ATU can't get a better match than 3:1?

I'm not understanding this menu's effects..

Dave KK7SS

David KK7SS

EDIT:  First line should read "Menu item 22"

Dave G. KK7SS

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 3:34 PM David KK7SS via groups.io <d3j452=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

What occurs if Menu item is set to 0 ?

Does the ATU try to find the best match and stop?

What happens if it's set to 1.5 and the ATU can't get a better match than 3:1?

I'm not understanding this menu's effects..

Dave KK7SS

la1rq@...

Hi Dave,

Cannot say what happen when set to 0, but it is not logical value. But you could1.5 try and tell us what happened ;-)

But when set to 1.5 it tunes until 1.5 or better is accomplished, or when i.e. 1.8 is best result, it stops, and when best tuning is higher than allowed, error message will pop up "too high VSWR"...

Good luck
Espen

David KK7SS

Hi Espen..
I did try setting SWR to 1.5 on a frequency that I knew was 2:0.. and I got the "Too High" like you said.
It's that "set to 0" that's peaked my interest :-)

73 de Dave

Alan

On 05/07/2020 23:12, David KK7SS wrote:
Hi Espen..
I did try setting SWR to 1.5 on a frequency that I knew was 2:0.. and I got the "Too High" like you said.
It's that "set to 0" that's peaked my interest :-)

73 de Dave
_
The Very Fine manual says Menu 22 "Target SWR (0=Off)"

73 Alan G4ZFQ

David KK7SS

Alan, G4ZFQ

I know exactlybwhat the "very fine manual" says..
BUT the question I ask is "What is the behaviour of the ATU when the target is set to 0" ?
Dave G. KK7SS  (ex-G3UTY, ex-ZS6MG))

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 11:57 PM Alan via groups.io <alanzfq=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

On 05/07/2020 23:12, David KK7SS wrote:
> Hi Espen..
> I did try setting SWR to 1.5 on a frequency that I knew was 2:0.. and
> I got the "Too High" like you said.
> It's that "set to 0" that's peaked my interest :-)
>
> 73 de Dave
> _
The Very Fine manual says Menu 22 "Target SWR (0=Off)"

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Alan

I know exactlybwhat the "very fine manual" says..
BUT the question I ask is "What is the behaviour of the ATU when the target is set to 0" ?
Dave,

Ah! I'll have to guess. Maybe it does it's best. Does "(0=Off)" mean no report of "Too High"? Try it.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

David KK7SS

Edited

Alan,

I've thought about try setting it to  '0'  but I'm sorta nervous about that,,
Only just got the ATR-60 and don't want to break it...  :-)
I've got a shorty 80M trap dipole thats ok at 3.9MHz.
I could try slowly  moving fqy..   it's 8:1 at 3.8Mhz to try !

Dave G.  K7SS

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 9:00 AM Alan via groups.io <alanzfq=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

> I know exactlybwhat the "very fine manual" says..
> BUT the question I ask is "What is the behaviour of the ATU when the
> target is set to 0" ?
Dave,

Ah! I'll have to guess. Maybe it does it's best. Does "(0=Off)" mean no
report of "Too High"? Try it.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Heinz-Juergen Kronemeyer

I've thought about try setting it to  '0'  but I'm sorta nervous about that,,
Only just got the ATR-60 and don't want to break it...  :-)
I've got a shorty 80M trap dipole thats ok at 3.9MHz.
I could try slowly  moving fqy..   it's 8:1 at 3.8Mhz to try !
You won't brake it.
Mine is set to "0" and still working. "0" was set as Default, i did not changed it.
With this setting i could match my HyEndFed 5 Band Antenne to all Bands from 160m up to 6m.
AFAIK tries the Art with this setting to reach the lowest SWR possible. With other Settings it will stop if , for example, 1.5 is reached. It will not try for lower SWR. Tuning will be faster.

David KK7SS

Heinz-Juergen

Aha!,,  I'll give it a try this morning

danke sehr

Dave G.  KK7SS

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 10:06 AM Heinz-Juergen Kronemeyer <meierzwo@...> wrote:

> I've thought about try setting it to  '0'  but I'm sorta nervous about
> that,,
> Only just got the ATR-60 and don't want to break it...  :-)
> I've got a shorty 80M trap dipole thats ok at 3.9MHz.
> I could try slowly  moving fqy..   it's 8:1 at 3.8Mhz to try !

You won't brake it.
Mine is set to "0" and still working. "0" was set as Default, i did not
changed it.
With this setting i could match my HyEndFed 5 Band Antenne to all Bands
from 160m up to 6m.
AFAIK tries the Art with this setting to reach the lowest SWR possible.
With other Settings it will stop if , for example, 1.5 is reached. It
will not try for lower SWR. Tuning will be faster.

David KK7SS

Tried a setting of '0' and it DOES try to find the best match and it DOES take quite a bit longer.
BUT, as 1.5:1 is only a 5% loss in power and is much quicker, I'll leave it at that.
I'll only use the '0' setting for when I know that I will have a poor chance at a good match.
Thanks to all who responded

Dave KK7SS...