Fdm1 #elad #fdm-s2

gabriele somma

Help:

Sto provando un Elad FDM1 e purtroppo il software non parte,qualcuno di voi che lo usa ha qualche suggerimento?Allego foto,il setup è giusto? il s.o è win 10

Alberto I2PHD

On 2020-06-27 11:19, gabriele somma wrote:

Help:

Sto provando un Elad FDM1 e purtroppo il software non parte,qualcuno di voi che lo usa ha qualche suggerimento?Allego foto,il setup è giusto? il s.o è win 10

Gabriele,

   the EladSDR group is an English language group.
If you want to post in Italian language, please use the EladSDR-IT group.

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
<<< http://www.weaksignals.com >>>

Don't forget to open any Elad Software with administrator privileges.

Raimund
.

Neil Smith G4DBN

Hi Raimund, is that because some device or driver or disk file permissions are not available to non-privileged users?

Which additional permissions are required? It would be useful to know which resources might be affected.

I don't see any reference to this in the Elad documentation?

Neil G4DBN

On 28/06/2020 17:08, Raimund wrote:
Don't forget to open any Elad Software with administrator privileges.

Hi Neil,
in fact i never found any reference with the Elad documentation.
Anyway the Elad SW? does not open without admin privileges.

The Admin is you or else if included with the permission assignments.
Useful for NetWork systems.

A program that is requesting privileges would check the permission similar to this code:
Try
'check if program opend with admin priv
Dim identity = WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent()
Dim principal = New WindowsPrincipal(identity)
Dim isElevated As Boolean = principal.IsInRole(WindowsBuiltInRole.Administrator)
If isElevated Then
'Msg
Else
FlexibleMessageBox.Show("Program must be opened with Admin privileges.", _
AppTitle, MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Hand)
End

End If
Catch ex As Exception
End Try

Raimund
.

Neil Smith G4DBN

Interesting.  I just created a new standard user as a Local account (not Microsoft cloud account).

I set up and started SW2, and it all worked correctly with no error messages.  It created the FDM-SW2 folder for that user in the default location

So it looks like no admin privileges are necessary to *RUN* SW2 for local accounts on Windows 10 version 1903, so long as you don't change the default location of the installation (C:\Program Files (x86)\ELAD\ELAD FDM-SW2) and the data folder (C:\Users\test\Documents\ELAD\FDM-SW2).  I'm sure that installing or updating the software would result in UAC prompting for admin privileges

If the software is installed somewhere else other than the default, or pointed at a different data folder (such as  c:\ELAD), then it certainly could need admin privileges to run it. It might also be different in the Pro/Enterprise variants of Win10.  This is just a home user installation.

Neil G4DBN

On 29/06/2020 11:35, Raimund wrote:
[...]

Antony Watts

How simple it would be if we could persuade ELAD to make a Mac OS version of FDM-SW2. Is there interest out there?

Antony
M0IFA

Edward Hammond

I am putting all my "utilities" type monitoring (WSPR, HFDL, etc) on inexpensive SDRs hooked up to (Debian) single board computers that I can monitor through a web interface.

This leaves my FDM-SW2 and, in the future, hopefully an S3 and TMate as my primary "listening for pleasure", "audio DX", and "just mucking around" machines.  (All of this financed by selling the NRD-545.)

I would love to have nice (i.e. elegant, clean) software to operate the Elad SDR(s) on a MacOS. It's my personal "native operating system", since its early 1980s(!) predecessors, and it would be a great pleasure.

I have grown to hate mucking around with Win 7 and 10, and would like nothing more than to dump a couple of old PC boat anchors at the electronics recycling!

Edward Hammond
WA3098SWL