Topics

FDM S2 distortion problem with Acer Laptop #fdm-s2

Roland

Hello! Running the FDM S2 with an Acer laptop. I am experiencing distortion during a few seconds once every minute. Not audible if I activate the "set" menu but then it`s not possible to change the tuned frequency. Only using it in the FM band and in WBFM-mode. The distortion seems to be absent on the files that have been recorded on the laptop`s hard drive. All sound drivers are the latest. Running the ELAD-version 1.043. Really need help with this problem.

mike bayard

Make sure no boost setting are turned on in the advanced area of the pc

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 6:03 PM, nogell@...
<nogell@...> wrote:
Hello! Running the FDM S2 with an Acer laptop. I am experiencing distortion during a few seconds once every minute. Not audible if I activate the "set" menu but then it`s not possible to change the tuned frequency. Only using it in the FM band and in WBFM-mode. The distortion seems to be absent on the files that have been recorded on the laptop`s hard drive. All sound drivers are the latest. Running the ELAD-version 1.043. Really need help with this problem.

Roland

Hello Mike!

Thanks for answer! I have checked and all the soundsettings are "standard". I have tested to disconnect every other device and only using the battery power on the laptop but nothing of these measures changed the distortion problem. I can´t recall that I had this problem with my old home PC (W7 and the same Elad-receiver). I am using the USB 3-connection on the laptop (W10). I think this is rather mysterious because the distortion appears once in a minute, with exactly one minute in between and lasts a few seconds. To me it seems like something in the laptop is automatically activated every once in a minute and that it somehow interfere with the ELAD.

Pete

Roland,

Just a thought:
Perhaps by  using Task Manager and monitoring the activities you can determine what process activates when the distortion occurs. That may point you in the right direction.

Pete

Ron Liekens

Roland, have you tried other programs like SDRconsole v3 or HDSDR to see if its also the same happening there? If not, there is a problem with the SW2 version you use. If not your pc might be at fault here. Seems there are a number of audio problems in Windows 10 that are still not resolved after all these years. Also the input of the FDM-S2 can be overloaded due to a very strong signal within the receiving passband. You can try to set it to a 384 kHz sample rate and see if this still happening. If not, you can be shure have an overload of the adc coming from a broadcast nearby your home.

regards' Ron
on2ron

Paul Jones

Confirm you’re running 1.043 of SW2?

That’s is a VERY old version we are up to 3.027 released and 3.033 under test, this may cure your issue if you upgrade?

Paul EladUSA

On May 18, 2020, at 08:11, Ron Liekens <r.e.liekens@...> wrote:

Roland, have you tried other programs like SDRconsole v3 or HDSDR to see if its also the same happening there? If not, there is a problem with the SW2 version you use. If not your pc might be at fault here. Seems there are a number of audio problems in Windows 10 that are still not resolved after all these years. Also the input of the FDM-S2 can be overloaded due to a very strong signal within the receiving passband. You can try to set it to a 384 kHz sample rate and see if this still happening. If not, you can be shure have an overload of the adc coming from a broadcast nearby your home.

regards' Ron
on2ron

Roland

Hello Pete!

I think the problem is SOLVED! Did some more checks with these results:
6144 kc: distorsion, recorded file: distorsion
3072 kc: distorsion,recorded file: distorsion
1536 kc,768 kc,384 kc: NO distorsion, recorded files: NO distorsion

Then checked the active processes. Remembered that I had some new programmes on the laptop. One was the "Performance Monitor" (from Advanced System Care) and an active "Smart Defrag". Turned both off and distorsion was gone!
Tnx for help and suggestions!
Roland

Roland

Many thanks to you all guys for help and suggestions. Problem solved!

73s de Roland