From: EladSDR@groups.io <EladSDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of Zacharias Liangas via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 10:04 AM
To: EladSDR@groups.io
Subject: [EladSDR] DRM decoder on FDM program

Because i see that not all my questions are replied , it is better for me to as each of it separately
DRM mode transmission can support up to 4 channels
Can FDM listen to all these four separately or together ?

George Stein - NJ3H

Hi Bill,

Hope you all are well. What software did you use for your picture? Great pop-out of the DRM window.

Regards,
George, NJ3H
Redmond, Oregon USA

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 7:55:17 AM PDT, Bill Nollman <billct97@...> wrote:

I don’t know if this helps or not but once I received DRM for a DXer who couldn’t get it with another SDR. The screen shot is below.

Maybe the 4 rectangles at the bottom of the DRM pop up indicate 4 possible audio channels? I do not know.

Please re-send your other questions in separate emails. I’d guess email overload is a problem lately for most people who don’t read past the first line or two.

Bill

Because i see that not all my questions are replied , it is better for me to as each of it separately
DRM mode transmission can support up to 4 channels
Can FDM listen to all these four separately or together ?

Bill Nollman

Hi George;

I can take no credit nor do I know as my friend did the screen capture and highlighting (the yellow zoom). I just copied the image from the DXpedition webpage - https://www.bamlog.com/2017pedx.htm

I often use Windows Snipping Tool with very good results for my screen captures or CTRL+ALT+PrtScr followed by Paste (CTRL+V).

Bill

Because i see that not all my questions are replied , it is better for me to as each of it separately
DRM mode transmission can support up to 4 channels
Can FDM listen to all these four separately or together ?

Guido Schotmans

I don’t know if it is possible to decode all 4 channels simultaneously. I don’t think it is.

What might be possible is to open more than one Vrx and let them tune to the same DRM signal. It is in that situation probably possible to feed the audio from different channels to different virtual audio cables.  I didn’t test this however.

73,

Guido.

Because i see that not all my questions are replied , it is better for me to as each of it separately
DRM mode transmission can support up to 4 channels
Can FDM listen to all these four separately or together ?

AVG logo

www.avg.com

George Stein - NJ3H

Thanks Bill, Perhaps when you chat with him next you can ask.

Regards,
George, NJ3H
Redmond, Oregon USA

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 8:57:46 AM PDT, Bill Nollman <billct97@...> wrote:

Hi George;

I can take no credit nor do I know as my friend did the screen capture and highlighting (the yellow zoom). I just copied the image from the DXpedition webpage - https://www.bamlog.com/2017pedx.htm

I often use Windows Snipping Tool with very good results for my screen captures or CTRL+ALT+PrtScr followed by Paste (CTRL+V).

Bill

Because i see that not all my questions are replied , it is better for me to as each of it separately
DRM mode transmission can support up to 4 channels
Can FDM listen to all these four separately or together ?

Richard Langley

I think DRM only supports two simultaneous audio channels plus a simultaneous data channel. This recent article mentions this:
https://www.radioworld.com/columns-and-views/the-unexplored-benefits-of-digital-radio
-- (Prof.) Richard Langley

| Richard B. Langley E-mail: lang@unb.ca |
| Geodetic Research Laboratory Web: http://gge.unb.ca |
| Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering Phone: +1 506 453-5142 |
| University of New Brunswick |
| Fredericton, N.B., Canada E3B 5A3 |
| Fredericton? Where's that? See: http://www.fredericton.ca/ |

On 2020-04-22 02:04, Zacharias Liangas via groups.io wrote:
Because i see that not all my questions are replied , it is better for me to as each of it separately
DRM mode transmission can support up to 4 channels
Can FDM listen to all these four separately or together ?
_._,_._,_
--
Chris Mackerell, Sandy Bay-Marahau Road, Marahau
RD 2, Motueka 7197, New Zealand chris@owdjim.gen.nz

Chris Mackerell

Thinking about it, if you wanted to decode multiple DRM stations
at once you could probably bypass the Elad DRM decoder completely,
and feed the IF signals from each Elad VRX channel (in 10 kHz b/w AM mode) into a seperate virtual audio cable feeding seperate copies
of the Dream decoder.

I haven't tried this in my shack though.

Cheers, Chris

On 2020-04-22 02:04, Zacharias Liangas via groups.io wrote:
Because i see that not all my questions are replied , it is better for me to as each of it separately
DRM mode transmission can support up to 4 channels
Can FDM listen to all these four separately or together ?
_._,_._,_
--
Chris Mackerell, Sandy Bay-Marahau Road, Marahau
RD 2, Motueka 7197, New Zealand chris@owdjim.gen.nz

Zacharias Liangas

Edited

Hmm  let me clarify much better my question because it was too ambiguous leading to wrong assumptions!
DRM mode transmission can theoretically  support up to 4 channels
Does FDM have the option to select say the second or the third of the sub streams as DREaM sotfware does by clicking to the subchannel ?
I once used it to listen to the Vid Bharati(?) the second service from AIR on 7550 with DReaM of course! The audio quality however was very bad if not muffled.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4r8x94ztr7fcc8j/Clipboard04.jpg?dl=0 Dream Screenshot that shows the 4 channels to select one
Hope that it solves the misunderstanding!

Chris Mackerell

Yes.

On 2020-04-22 22:14, Zacharias Liangas via groups.io wrote:
Hmm  let me clarify much better my question:
DRM mode transmission can support up to 4 channels
Does FDM ahve the options to select say the second or the third of the sub streams as DREaM sotfware does?
I once used it to listen to the VId bharati service that is  the second from AIR on 7550

Zacharias Liangas

thanx

Chris Mackerell

Here's a screen shot from my Elad DUOr FDM-SW2 software decoding
CNR on 9870 kHz just now. It's only one channel, so there is
just the one green "Audio" box lit up. If there are more
channels available then the other 3 blank boxes light up
and you can click to select the one you want.

My old Yaesu FRG-100 with Dream software still does better decoding
though!

Cheers, Chris

On 2020-04-22 22:34, Zacharias Liangas via groups.io wrote:
thanx
_._,_._,_
--
Chris Mackerell, Sandy Bay-Marahau Road, Marahau
RD 2, Motueka 7197, New Zealand chris@owdjim.gen.nz

Guido Schotmans

My old Yaesu FRG-100 with Dream software still does better decoding though!
Is that with or without modification Chris ?

73,

Guido.

https://www.avg.com

Chris Mackerell

It's one of the ones that SAT-Service Schneider offered back when DRM
was new. It has the IF module built-in and wide filter for DRM.
It is still my best receiver for DRM, though my un-modified AOR AR-7030 comes
close.

I haven't found the decoder in the Elad software very good. If I'm using my
DUOr I tend to run Dream from the IF output of the software. I seem to get
better decoding that way, and can create log files etc

Cheers, Chris

On 2020-04-22 22:45, Guido Schotmans wrote:
My old Yaesu FRG-100 with Dream software still does better decoding though!
Is that with or without modification Chris ?

73,

Guido.

Guido Schotmans

Thanks Chris. Many years ago I wrote a description how to use the AOR AR7030 without modification for DRM reception. Importunely I can't find it anymore.

73,

Guido.

On 2020-04-22 22:45, Guido Schotmans wrote:
My old Yaesu FRG-100 with Dream software still does better decoding
though!
Is that with or without modification Chris ?

73,

Guido.

https://www.avg.com

Dennis

As a total noob regarding DRM, is there a write up I can access specifically for using my FDM-DUO to decode a DRM audio stream?

Regards,
Dennis, 73, W7DRW

Mike Chace-Ortiz

Hey Dennis

It’s as simple as tuning to the signal, switching to DRM modem instead of SSB, CW etc, waiting a few seconds for the signal to sync and buffer and you should be hearing the audio.

You can find a schedule of transmissions at the DRM website.

73

—mco
AB1TZ

On Apr 22, 2020, at 1:17 PM, Dennis <dennis@...> wrote:

As a total noob regarding DRM, is there a write up I can access specifically for using my FDM-DUO to decode a DRM audio stream?

Regards,
Dennis, 73, W7DRW

Dennis

Thanks Mike, I'll give it a try

73
Dennis, W7DRW

Chris Mackerell

Assuming you are using the Elad FDM-SW2 software:

1. Tune to DRM signal
2. Select DRM from the mode drop-down menu
3. Listen

This, of course, requires the DRM signal to be strong enough
to decode.

If you have selected DRM mode, you should see two extra little
buttons to the left of the mode/bandwidth options.

The top one, which looks like a spreadsheet symbol, is supposed
to display a schedule of DRM broadcasts. Mine is blank, and I
can't find where to change the URL it uses.

The bottom one, labelled "Info", will open a pop-up showing
the DRM signal state, and the multiple streams available
(if any)

Cheers, Chris