ELAD Remote

Charles Ristorcelli

Anyone using the new ELAD Remote for ham radio operation including remote control of SW2 capable DUO/ART120 station?

--
73 de NN3V

la1rq@...

Hi Charles,

Using would be a bit exaggerated, I have been doing some tests, both using home network  and dummyload, and even using mobile 4G to Duo-ART and FDM-Duo. It works. I have had a couple of 80m SSB-qso's on home-network. I also want to test CW with both paddle and key, I am a bit curious to see how it plays with the long Roudtriptime.
I hope to get some good antennas installed at my vacation-qth to run remotely from home, where it is a bit tricky to install godd antennas.

LA1RQ

Lou KI5FTY <lscalpati@...>

Is there a link to the new remote functionality?

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 6:05 AM la1rq via Groups.Io <la1rq=yahoo.no@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Charles,

Using would be a bit exaggerated, I have been doing some tests, both using home network  and dummyload, and even using mobile 4G to Duo-ART and FDM-Duo. It works. I have had a couple of 80m SSB-qso's on home-network. I also want to test CW with both paddle and key, I am a bit curious to see how it plays with the long Roudtriptime.
I hope to get some good antennas installed at my vacation-qth to run remotely from home, where it is a bit tricky to install godd antennas.

LA1RQ

Patrick Bouldin KM5L <patrick@...>

+1 Patrick KM5L - tracking this.
I too am very interested. I'm looking for some remote property now, about an hour east of here to put up some antennae and do remote. Love the DUO but want to fully test remote capability here first, and something VERY reliable, if done right. Some on here have said the DUO isn't ready for prime time, maybe others have worked well. I think for me, I may be wrong but the solution is a set of solutions, right? A way to reboot power on the basic infrastructure, have the boot process pretty robust and reliable.

I see google remote desktop is being used - how about that in the picture somewhere? Then how about the commercial power strips with remote booting? Maybe we could drum up a Special Interest Group here, for folks wanting to use the DUO as the main radio?

73, Patrick KM5L - Dallas, TX - USA

Charles Ristorcelli

Well, thank for the information so far.

I spent considerable time getting the remote feature to work reliably. I was able to get it to function by remote controlling an ELAD/ART120 at the Italian factory from here in San Diego.

Espen: I am curious what you mean about "a couple of 80m SSB-qsos..". Were you also running some log in program at the time? Like HRD or similar?

When I got the remote control capability to work I saw absolutely no way to present the SW2 displays, and I sure as heck was not going to spend time tuning through the band in the hopes of HEARING a signal with which I could communicate.

I inquired at the time (about 2 years ago) and was told that there was no plan to allow SW2 operation of the remote control capability.

Well, without the SW2 presentation, what is the point of having an SDR remote controlled transceiver?

I may be completely ignorant in which case I apologize.

73 de NN3V
--
73 de NN3V

la1rq@...

I do not have a list of new remote functionality, you must chech the manual.
http://sdr.eladit.com/DUO-ART_EladRemote/1.75/EladRemoteMan-1.75.1.en.pdf

//Espen

la1rq@...

Hi Charles,

I have also spent much time to get it up and running, with some mail-exchange with support, which has lead to some improvements in the EladRemote v.1.75.

The local SSB-qso's were made via a laptop with 1. internal mic, and 2. with a "gaming" headset with boom-mic. Got some complaints about my audio, clearly worst on lap-top-mic, but also on the gaming-mic.

And I agree, you can't get all displays available on the SW2 via EladRemote, only spectrum/waterfall and audio. And there are many ways of tuning many controls, especially when using a mouse with scroll-wheel.

Even when running inside a local network the delay/roundtriptime is quite noticeable.

But the v.175 is much easier to install than previous versions.

Why have a remotecontrolled SDR receiver:

manmade noise where you live,
and for the remote tx: better antenna possibilities.

I have both antenna and noise at home, but only noise at my vacation-qth, not unlimited antenna, but remarkably better than home.
On 80m SSB 2k5 the noise is at S9+, but using Elads NR level 2 without noticable NR-noise, it drops below S7, with SW2 even lower.

73 de
LA1RQ

Michael Boudreaux

Great idea for a special Interest Group! I have put together a very Rudimentary system. Count me In! Mike VK3XZ

On 10/03/2020 01:54, Patrick Bouldin KM5L wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much. Seems like there has been some improvement.

I certainly haven't done much since my initial disappointment two years ago.

I definitely agree this would be a good special interest group, or worthy of a solid user guide.

I will start amassing the information you all shared and get back to updating my equipment and give this another try.

73 to all, and may you have great DX.

--
73 de NN3V

Charles Ristorcelli

I am starting to review everything I did originally to set up the ELAD remote.

I notice references in this string to ELAD Remote software v1.7.5.

Where is the info on ELAD Remote? I could not find a link on the ELAD website.
--
73 de NN3V

Giovanni Franza

http://www.eladit.com/download/sdr/DUO-ART_EladRemote/1.75/index.php?lang=EN

Mike

Is there a way to use the remote with the FDM-DUO only? Without the ART?
Thanks

Mike WA3O

Giovanni Franza

No it is not possible: the communication layer is inside the DUO ART processor.

Giovanni HB9EIK

Lou KI5FTY <lscalpati@...>

So if I read the document correctly, you must have a duo art to use the remote software?

Lou KI5FTY

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 9:28 AM Giovanni Franza <gfranza@...> wrote:
No it is not possible: the communication layer is inside the DUO ART processor.

Giovanni HB9EIK

Giovanni Franza

Yes, you read correctly: you need a DUO ART + a FDM DUO to use ELAD Remote.
The reason is that the DUO ART hosts the communication software.
To be precise: the demodulation/modulation is made by the FDM DUO (as when it works in standalone mode).
Two levels of FFT/Waterfall are computed by the DUO ART.
The ELAD Remote realizes the User Interface (and computes the Audio FFT).
Hope this claryfy the operations.

Giovanni - HB9EIK

Mark EI3KD

Hi Giovanni,

Is it possible to obtain CAT information (I suppose, specifically, frequency) and some sort of PTT port through ELAD Remote, to make it useful for local logging, digital modes, etc?

Regards, Mark