Microphone options

Mark Gottlieb <kk2l@...>

Hi Everybody,

Expecting my new FM DUO today and was thinking about alternative microphone to the OEM included with the radio. I saw it in a video that this rig is ICOM compliant.  I think it was a ARRL introduction “lab” presentation   However, the CAT 5 input has me confused.  If anything, I would think this is a Yaesu friendly radio in terms of microphone.  Any advice on this?

Mark
KK2L

Neil Smith G4DBN

Hi Mark, it's an Icom standard connection, electret with bias.  I use a Heil headset, and you can get an Icom-style insert, but I use a dynamic HC-5 with +12dB boost and Compression 8 on the DUO menus, and a 5uF blocking capacitor on the insert,  I take the PTT out to a footswitch.  Any Icom-compatible electret mic should work. 

Neil G4DBN

On 27/12/2019 16:17, Mark Gottlieb wrote:
Hi Everybody,

Expecting my new FM DUO today and was thinking about alternative microphone to the OEM included with the radio. I saw it in a video that this rig is ICOM compliant.  I think it was a ARRL introduction “lab” presentation   However, the CAT 5 input has me confused.  If anything, I would think this is a Yaesu friendly radio in terms of microphone.  Any advice on this?

Mark
KK2L
-- 
Neil
<a href="http://g4dbn.uk/"><small>g4dbn.uk</small></a>

Mark Gottlieb <kk2l@...>

FB.  It looks like there is an adaptor (OPC-589), from ICOM, that goes from 8 pin modular to 8 pin male adaptor that is available.  This would allow me to use a variety of ICOM mics.  Of course, assuming that most ICOM mics are electret type with bias?  Just as an example, would my handheld from my IC-9100 work with the FM DUO using the adaptor?

Mark

KK2L

antenna sunset

Mike Penkas

On 12/27/2019 1:26 PM, Mark Gottlieb wrote:

FB.  It looks like there is an adaptor (OPC-589), from ICOM, that goes from 8 pin modular to 8 pin male adaptor that is available.  This would allow me to use a variety of ICOM mics.  Of course, assuming that most ICOM mics are electret type with bias?  Just as an example, would my handheld from my IC-9100 work with the FM DUO using the adaptor?

Mark

KK2L

antenna
              sunset

I built a adapter from one end of a short 8 pin network cable and a 8 pin male connector.

I have a whole box of Icom mics and I tried a HM12, HM23, HM36, HM151, HM154T, HM198 and even a SM6. 

They all worked with the ELAD.  The best one I have tried and am using now is the HM103 that came with my old IC706MKIIG.

It has the best sounding audio and output.  Also tried a PR-40 and RE27 N/D which were excellent thru W2IHY gear or a Symetrix

528E voice processor.

Mike WA8EBM

Mark Gottlieb <kk2l@...>

Great advice.  Thanks.  Is it safe to assume you were using an amp with the Symetrix 528e?

Mark

KK2L

antenna sunset

From: EladSDR@groups.io <EladSDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Penkas
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2019 3:58 PM
To: EladSDR@groups.io
Subject: Re: [EladSDR] Microphone options

Mark

KK2L

antenna
              sunset

I built a adapter from one end of a short 8 pin network cable and a 8 pin male connector.

I have a whole box of Icom mics and I tried a HM12, HM23, HM36, HM151, HM154T, HM198 and even a SM6. 

They all worked with the ELAD.  The best one I have tried and am using now is the HM103 that came with my old IC706MKIIG.

It has the best sounding audio and output.  Also tried a PR-40 and RE27 N/D which were excellent thru W2IHY gear or a Symetrix

528E voice processor.

Mike WA8EBM

Mike Penkas

Mic into 528e then into W2IHY IPlus 3 position interface with level controls for each switched output.  I then fed audio into a flex 5k, elad or ts990.  No other external amplification.
Mike WA8EBM

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 12/27/19 17:16 (GMT-05:00)

Great advice.  Thanks.  Is it safe to assume you were using an amp with the Symetrix 528e?

Mark

KK2L

From: EladSDR@groups.io <EladSDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Penkas
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2019 3:58 PM

Mark

KK2L

528E voice processor.

Mike WA8EBM

Ariel

Hi, as far as I know all Icom microphones are electret type with bias, except some old hand microphones that are dynamic, but with a preamplifier that makes it works the same as the electret types. You should have no problem to use your Icom hand mic with the adaptor.

Seasons greetings,

Ariel
EA3CX 

Mark Gottlieb <kk2l@...>

Thank-you.  Now that I have actually received the radio, I am satisfied with the build quality of the microphone and will stick with it for a while.  I just completed a 1600km QSO on 7 watts.  So, I am satisfied at this time.

Mark

KK2L

antenna sunset

From: EladSDR@groups.io <EladSDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of Ariel
Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2019 9:48 AM

Hi, as far as I know all Icom microphones are electret type with bias, except some old hand microphones that are dynamic, but with a preamplifier that makes it works the same as the electret types. You should have no problem to use your Icom hand mic with the adaptor.

Seasons greetings,

Ariel
EA3CX 

Mike Penkas

The microphone that comes with the ELAD doesn't sound bad.  I made a lot of contacts with good audio reports.  While trying to adjust levels I listened on another
receiver and heard a lot of mechanical clicks etc while using it.  I opened it up to see exactly how it was constructed.  Very basic.  The electret element seems to
be a very good match. The inside of the Microphone housing was stamped HM118.  My mic seemed very prone to mechanical noises being transmitted with PTT switch.
This is a very inexpensive microphone.  Here is a link to a seller on EBay.
Mike WA8EBM

On 12/28/2019 11:43 AM, Mark Gottlieb wrote:

Thank-you.  Now that I have actually received the radio, I am satisfied with the build quality of the microphone and will stick with it for a while.  I just completed a 1600km QSO on 7 watts.  So, I am satisfied at this time.

Mark

KK2L

antenna
              sunset

From: EladSDR@groups.io <EladSDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of Ariel
Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2019 9:48 AM

Seasons greetings,

Ariel
EA3CX