Topics

S2 RX1 Stuck in "Lock To CW" mode #fdm-sw2 #fdm-s2

Jeff Patterson

Recently bought an S2 and loaded the latest fdm-sw2 software (3.027). Impressed with both but for some reason Channel 1, Rx1 is stuck in Lock To CF mode. This is really annoying for a number of reasons.

I'm trying to determine if this a bug or if I have some hidden setting wrong. The Icon circled below is unresponsive to mouse clicks and the keyboard shortcut ("K")

Any help?

Thanks,
Jeff NG6X

Vianney Colombat

This is due to some settings. Did you enable omnirig in the Remote Ctrl tab of the Setup window ?

Regards,

Vianney

From: "Jeff Patterson via Groups.Io" <Jeff_patterson@...>
To: EladSDR@groups.io
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 08:39:11 -0800
Subject: [EladSDR] S2 RX1 Stuck in "Lock To CW" mode #fdm-sw2 #fdm-s2

Recently bought an S2 and loaded the latest fdm-sw2 software (3.027). Impressed with both but for some reason Channel 1, Rx1 is stuck in Lock To CF mode. This is really annoying for a number of reasons.

I'm trying to determine if this a bug or if I have some hidden setting wrong. The Icon circled below is unresponsive to mouse clicks and the keyboard shortcut ("K")

Any help?

Thanks,
Jeff NG6X

Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica sono riservate e confidenziali e ne è vietata la diffusione in qualunque modo eseguita (DL 196/2003). Qualora Lei non fosse la persona a cui il presente messaggio è destinato, La invitiamo ad eliminarlo e a non leggerlo, dandone gentilmente comunicazione al mittente.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may well also be legally privileged (DL 196/2003). If you are not among the named recipients, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system, do not use the contents for any purpose whatsoever nor disclose them to anyone else.

Jeff Patterson

Yes. Why would using Omnirig require “Lock to CF”?

Jeff

From: "Jeff Patterson via Groups.Io" <Jeff_patterson@...>
To: EladSDR@groups.io
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 08:39:11 -0800

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 06:49 AM, Vianney Colombat wrote:

This is due to some settings. Did you enable omnirig in the Remote Ctrl tab
of the Setup window ?
And if the answer is "yes" what is the explanation to your question ?

Raimund
.

Jeff Patterson

One annoyance of this restriction is when using programs like cw slimmer or fldigi. Generally but especially  in a contest situation you want the S2 start and stop frequency to remain fixed as you work stations from one end of the band to the other. Of course you need Omnirig to keep the transceiver synced to the S2 and for Cw skimmer to know the correct frequency.  That the software prevents this use case is disappointing.

Another  smaller annoyance is that sync-am is not allowed if you have omnirig enabled. If you bring up the second channel to do sync-am, you get an error pop-up every time you go back to channel 1.

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 06:49 AM, Vianney Colombat wrote:

> This is due to some settings. Did you enable omnirig in the Remote Ctrl tab
> of the Setup window ?

And if the answer is "yes" what is the explanation to your question ?

Raimund
.

Edited

On Sat, Dec 21, 2019 at 12:07 PM, Jeff Patterson wrote:

One annoyance of this restriction is when using programs like cw slimmer or
fldigi.
Once the SW2 OmniRig is not enabled still there are a few connection possibilities.
In fact, you send Frequencies to the SW2 but there is no return value.
Also it could be that you have to adjust the Frequency Calibration.

Using a TCP connection + a external OmniRig connection same result.
A TCP connection is sending Frequencies to the SW2 but there is no return value.

With a virtual Port connection you connect: (a TCP connection is possible together with a Serial Port connection)
Your Rig, Run fldigi + CWSkimmer + HRD. SW2 is receiving but you don't read the SW2 return value.
Use just 1 Com-Port, p.e. COM1

ENABLE the SW2 OmniRig connection
Use a Interface that is connecting your Rig with SW2 using:
TCP, OmniRig, SerialPort. Your problem with fldigi + CWSkimmer or similar is resolved.
(Once the SW2 OmniRig is enabled a external OmniRig should never be use.)
Any Frequency change in CWSkimmer or fldigi is synchronized with your SW2 via the Interface. (reading + sending)
Same with a Frequency Database.

Raimund
.

On Sat, Dec 21, 2019 at 04:44 PM, Raimund wrote:

Using a TCP connection + a external OmniRig connection same result.
A TCP connection is sending Frequencies to the SW2 but there is no return
value.
I checked it again. SW2 Omnirig NOT enabled.
TCP is sending and receiving data from RX1...RX4. After closing + reopen the SW2 + Interface.

When the Interface-OmniRig is activated then Frequency + Mode, received with TCP, can be sent via OmniRig to the RIG and other Software like CWSkimmer, fldigi ecc... that are connected with the Interface via only 1 Virtual COM-Port p.e. RIG1 = ComPort COM1.
The Interface is receiving the OmniRig data from COM1 and sending via TCP to the SW2.

That's it.
Raimund
.

Jeff Patterson

Hello Raimund,
I really appreciate your looking into this but I'm having trouble understanding your proposal. For clarification, here's the setup I'm currently using.

In this set-up, the transceiver (IC-7700), SW2 and CW Skimmer all stay perfectly synchronized and the frequency can be controlled by tuning the rig, tuning SW2 or tuning via CW Skimmer by selecting a decode station and all three change frequency in lock step. The only problem is the SW2 frequency is forced to be its center frequency. Often this will waste nearly half the S2 IF BW (meaning fewer decoded stations) because a large portion of the SW2 span is out-of-band if I select a station near the band edge. Moving the span around also makes it more difficult to track which stations are new and which you have worked.

 In this set-up, OmniRig is central to synchronization. If I understand your proposal, we would eliminate the link from OmniRig to SW2, and replace it with a TCP interface. But what software piece would drive that interface? Is this code I would have to write? I have written similar code before to sync my Selective Level Meter to my IC-7700. It uses the OmniRig DLLs and translates the CAT commands to GPIB commands. But before I embark on that journey I want to be sure that I'm not missing an easier solution.

Thanks again.
Jeff NG6X

Hi Jeff,

A part your reference to a sync-AM with SW2-Omni not enabled a normal connection is using the SW2-OmniRig.

As mentioned we have 3 main connections:
TCP, Virtual Serial Com-Port and
SW2-OmniRig or a external Interface using OmniRig.

Now, the choice of which of the 3 to use and in combination with one of the 3 depends only on what we want to achieve.

We don't eliminate the SW2-OmniRig.
Once we have an Interface that uses these 3 choices, all we need to do is a test. It is not always easy to imagine the right choice.

Personally, I have been programming for 2 years for the interconnection between SW2 and a RIG including the SW2 Station Memory with download and upload from and to any frequency database.

Downloading the SW2 Station Memory with TCP there are 2 bugs that could be resolved very simple but Elad does not follow the issue. Both Bugs are only Logic errors.

A) The Mode Field
Only 1 Digit is reserved for it. 0..9.
When we download a SW2-Record with a Mode-Field Text "RTTY" the DataFlow answer is "11" which is wrong. It should be only "B".
Knowing this bug the procedure can correct the error 100% by adjusting the pointer (-1).

B) The Station Name Field
16 Digit's reserved.
Only 15 digit's can be copied from the SW2 DataFlow.
With 16 digit's a error can't be avoided. The dataflow pointer can be adjusted only partly. This is meaning that this single Record and only the next one are not correct.

"QUOTE"
Moving the span around also makes it more difficult to track which stations are new and which you have worked.
"UNQUOTE"

An interesting idea.
--------------------------
Any Frequency is visible with a Interface.
Using a ShortCut you should be able to copy the Frequency, Mode and Utc Date/Time to a LIST as saved frequency. Clicking on a ListFrequency your Rig, the Interface and CWSkimmer/fldigi ecc.. are synchronized.

The same List can be used to AVOID selection of a worked Station.
It is possible to make the list more sophisticated, e.g. adding the CallSign.

Your frequency reading procedure must check this List and advice you. Searching a ListBox is very fast and does not interfere.
If you are interested to use the MODE data you translate the SW2 to the RIG Mode and viceversa.

I'm programming with MS Visual Studio and Visual Basic that i prefer.

A TCP Interface is reading the real SW2 return answer as Text which the "Hercules" program does not do.

I noticed some other bugs that i'm not mentioning here.
In the beginning i wrote a special application just to analyze the SW2 Data.
I attach an image of it. This application was used to develop the RadioFrequency Interface programs.

Finally
-------
Use the SW2 OmniRig - your RIG is connected
Use only 1 virtual Com-port for CWSkimmer, fldigi ecc..

The Interface is doing:
- SerialPort connection + direct command connection to your RIG + SW2
- TCP SW2 connection - very fast and most stable.
TCP is reading / setting SW2 and anything connected to SW2 via SW2-Omni!
- OmniRig connection you use only if the SW2 is not used or the SW2 omniRig is not enabled.
- mixed connections are possible

For my opinion your problem is solved.

Raimund
.

Vianney Colombat

I don't remember why, I think this is due to some restriction inside the software or to synchronize OmniRig with the center frequency and not the virtual receiver frequency. I will check.

Vianney

From: "Jeff Patterson via Groups.Io" <Jeff_patterson@...>
To: EladSDR@groups.io
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 08:39:11 -0800

[...]

I have tried various combinations with my / interface software.

In particular SW2 without OmniRig enabled.

I receive the SW2 data and send frequencies to the SW2.
The connection is using:
- TCP
- OmniRig included with the Interface program.
The polling time should be adjustable from 50ms to 200ms for both.
RX1 can be locked + un-locked.

All connected software like CWSkimmer, fldigi, Ham Radio Delux is synchronized via 1 ComPort p.e. COM1 using VSPE.
(HRD must be opened first)

The SW2 RX1 Lock problem can be solved, but It requires a Interface software.
With such a interface you can manage several situations.

If your program is already including the OmniRig coding Class I recommend including the TCP connection.
A direct Serialport ComPort connection (Interface <commands> Transceiver) should not be necessary.

Raimund
.

Hi Jeff,
i enclose a screenshot that is self explanatory.
You can do that.
The Radio frequency is: 7.026,03
The "Frequencies worked display View" is evidencing the saved Freq: 7.025,05
Here with this example the Frequency-RANGE is set to 2 Khz.
The saved Freq: 7025,05 is extended between: 7023,05 and 7027,05
An Radio-Freq within that range is resulting as worked Frequency.
Within this Range you should not be able to save a Frequency as 'worked'.
It is clear that you can change the Range to " 0 " or any Hz range.
The Freq-Range setting is quite important and depending on what you like to achieve.

The "worked freq" search should not be started via a Timer or similar but with a ShortCut and Mouse-Hover.
While you press the ShortCut you can tune your Radio and get a immediate advice.

It is working perfecly. A TCP connection is not necessary if you enable the SW2 OmniRig.

Raimund
.

fb311569@...

Als Ham gebruik ik N1MM, met mijn grote Kenwood TX. Nu heb ik de S2 what are the settings for using N1MM and S2 With Omnirig can I run just one px. VSPE don't help me. Help are welcome
73, de ON3MK
Maurits