Topics

FDM-SW2 setup with Fldigi

Neil Smith G4DBN

VAC works fine when you want to use multiple receive or transmit programs, but you will need to find a way round the transmit control side if you want the programs to have CAT and TX at the same time.  Also watch out for some clocking sync issues.  I don’t find any problems, but watch out for the old increasing receive latency issue after a day or two of uptime.

Have a look at Omnirig and VSPE in case those are helpful.
Neil G4DBN

On 13 Sep 2019, at 23:47, Brad Moran <irishflyer97@...> wrote:

I am hoping that VAC will allow me to monitor a few different programs, and when I TX, it will switch to the right route.  I am just glad this finally works.  Thanks for your help!

Brad Moran

I am hoping that VAC will allow me to monitor a few different programs, and when I TX, it will switch to the right route.  I am just glad this finally works.  Thanks for your help!

Neil Smith G4DBN

Ah, you shouldn’t need to use the SW2 FDM DUO manager very often.  That function is only used when you want to make changes to the settings, like the backlight and filter selection.  It requires dedicated access to the COM port and will lock anything else out.  Seeing as it is only used to set things up, including the filters and so on, it isn’t any trouble to stop all of the other CAT programs when you want to make an occasional change. It must be eight months since I last used it.

If you want to run multiple digimode programs, things start to get tricky, as you need a way to share the CAT control and work the PTT.  Omnirig can help, but usually I only run one transmit-capable digimode program at once, sometimes with three on receive, but only one with CAT and PTT active.  You can use a serial port sharer like VSPE, but I’m a simple soul and stick to one program at once.  I really need to get it sorted though, so I can use Logger and digimode programs at the same time.

Neil G4DBN

On 13 Sep 2019, at 23:33, Brad Moran <irishflyer97@...> wrote:

Ok, got the PTT to trigger with ComTestSerial.  When I close out the program, and start SW2, it wont let SW2 on COM4.  I had Flidigi open, and it let me TX , triggering the PTT.  I was just in BPSK31, just for testing.  Now, if I go to the FDM Duo manager, bring up the CAT setting, hit start, it will connect, and go to the settings like  backlight color.  There is where I lose my PTT.  The green " CAT " indication is turned on in SW2 in the upper left hand side.  I am really confused now...lol.  I am guessing that FLdigi was triggering it on it's own, and when I was connected with SW2, SW2 is unable to trigger it for some reason.

Brad Moran

Ok, got the PTT to trigger with ComTestSerial.  When I close out the program, and start SW2, it wont let SW2 on COM4.  I had Flidigi open, and it let me TX , triggering the PTT.  I was just in BPSK31, just for testing.  Now, if I go to the FDM Duo manager, bring up the CAT setting, hit start, it will connect, and go to the settings like  backlight color.  There is where I lose my PTT.  The green " CAT " indication is turned on in SW2 in the upper left hand side.  I am really confused now...lol.  I am guessing that FLdigi was triggering it on it's own, and when I was connected with SW2, SW2 is unable to trigger it for some reason.

Neil Smith G4DBN

Serial PTT should work fine without SW2 running, so there is something silly going on somewhere.  Toggling the RTS button in ComTestSerial works for me. (Green is RX, red is TX)

http://www.microridge.com/comtestserial.htm

Neil

#

On 13/09/2019 23:00, Brad Moran wrote:
I am using the original.  I just didnt have the bin files in the right place.  It updated the Tx and Rx files to current.  Still didn't work on the PTT...lol.  I am going to update the User interface and the SW2 program itself.

Brad Moran

I am using the original.  I just didnt have the bin files in the right place.  It updated the Tx and Rx files to current.  Still didn't work on the PTT...lol.  I am going to update the User interface and the SW2 program itself.

Neil Smith G4DBN

Are you using a memory stick that is more that 8GB? Some larger ones fail to work.

Neil

On 13/09/2019 22:25, Brad Moran wrote:
That's strange they didn't show up.  I loaded them as images.  I just tried to update the firmware, and both the RX and TX wont update correctly, I get the quickly flashing green lights.

For what its worth, my setup on RigCat is identical to what you posted.  The failure of the firmware updates had me a bit concerned it may by the Duo itself not triggering the PTT.

Brad Moran

That's strange they didn't show up.  I loaded them as images.  I just tried to update the firmware, and both the RX and TX wont update correctly, I get the quickly flashing green lights.

For what its worth, my setup on RigCat is identical to what you posted.  The failure of the firmware updates had me a bit concerned it may by the Duo itself not triggering the PTT.

Craig Williams KA6RWL

Hey Brad as an FYI , I see the screenshots. I think you might try a different browser like Firefox and see if you get a different result on seeing images in this forum.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 10:47 AM Brad Moran <irishflyer97@...> wrote:
Not sure how you did it, it is not showing any screen shots.  I am frankly getting disgusted trying to get this FDM Duo with work with Flidigi.  And when people say "oh, here it is" this forum shows a blank spot.

Neil Smith G4DBN

Hi Brad, for some reason, the images attached with your settings didn't appear.

For some reason the box for "use separate serial port PTT" is ticked on the Hardware PTT page.  That should not be necessary.  Works whether or not I tick it.

You should be using the same COM4 for CAT and PTT

If you can't get it to work, have a look for the utility ComTestSerial, close SW2 and Fldigi and see if when you open COM4, you can toggle PTT with the RTS button.

Neil G4DBN

On 13/09/2019 20:09, Brad Moran wrote:
I am just trying to get the PTT to work.  I have it set at AUTO on Menu 32, and+ RTS on Menu 54.  I am using RigCat, I noticed Hamlib doesn't work. Com 4 is my port Im using, Com3 is denied to SW2. All baud rates are equal at 38400.   I am using VAC to send the audio to Fldigi, and LIne (FDM-Duo Audio) back to the Duo.  I am receiving the signal just fine in Fldigi, just not PTT.
  Could you post your screen shot of RigCAT?

Brad Moran

This is my settings at this point.

Brad Moran

I am just trying to get the PTT to work.  I have it set at AUTO on Menu 32, and+ RTS on Menu 54.  I am using RigCat, I noticed Hamlib doesn't work. Com 4 is my port Im using, Com3 is denied to SW2. All baud rates are equal at 38400.   I am using VAC to send the audio to Fldigi, and LIne (FDM-Duo Audio) back to the Duo.  I am receiving the signal just fine in Fldigi, just not PTT.
  Could you post your screen shot of RigCAT?

Neil Smith G4DBN

Hi Brad, sorry I missed your original question.  What exactly do you want to get working?  I just downloaded Fldigi 4.0.18 and put in a basic setup which seems to work OK.  Are there facilities that you can't get when you are talking directly to the DUO audio, CAT and PTT, but you can get in SW2?  If so, what do you need?

Fldigi is still using an old version of Hamlib and hasn't caught up with WSJT-X and others, so you can't use the dedicated FDM-DUO library.  That also means avoiding the buggy TS480 Hamlib is important.  It is safest to to use the TS480 rigcat instead, using serial port RTS PTT the same as will all other programs which don't support the current Hamlib yet.

On the DUO, just make sure TXIN is set to AUTO (or USB) and PTT is set to IN+RTS.

Apologies if I've not understood what you are trying to do.  If you need to share the audio stream, just set up VAC as usual and point the input stream at one of the VAC LINE devices.  If you need to share the serial port, then good luck, all the systems I've tried to do that end up with some clunkiness.

Here are screenshots.  This works in standalone or with the default standalone plus 192k in SW2.  If you want to use one of the other modes which run the DUO as remote, that is a different matter.  Please explain a bit more about exactly what you need to achieve.

Neil G4DBN

On 13/09/2019 18:47, Brad Moran wrote:
Not sure how you did it, it is not showing any screen shots.  I am frankly getting disgusted trying to get this FDM Duo with work with Flidigi.  And when people say "oh, here it is" this forum shows a blank spot.

Brad Moran

Not sure how you did it, it is not showing any screen shots.  I am frankly getting disgusted trying to get this FDM Duo with work with Flidigi.  And when people say "oh, here it is" this forum shows a blank spot.

greggilbert195@...

To all.
Hope this will answer your question.

Greg

Joachim Herbert

How?

greggilbert195@...

All,

Got it working.

Thanks.

Greg

greggilbert195@...

Hi Group,

Would like to see if one can setup the FDM-SW2 to control the Fldigi software. And also have the Fldigi control the SW2.

FDM-SW2 setup: Remote Ctrl:

1) What CAT Mode to use?

    a. Standard

    b. Slave

    c. VRX

2) Use Omnirig? What settings?

    a. Rig 1

    b. Rig type FT-897? // or a TS-(xxx) setting?

    c. And other tabs....Data bits, Stop bits, etc.

3) Fldigi Configure: Rig control:

    a) Use Hamlib...?

    b) Rig Yaesu FT-897 (Beta)?

    c) And other tabs....Data bits, Stop bits, etc.

Thanks for any ideas.

Greg KN4APC