(No subject)

Darwin Lambeth

I have been using SW2 with FDM-DUO for months and all of a sudden I cannot run the software without it freezing up. When it locks up the computer beeps like you unplugged/plugged a USB device in or out. It's constantly doing that.

Any ideas?

Regards,
K5RWD

Darwin Lambeth

I have tried everything I can think of, but I cannot run SW2 software at all anymore. Here is a list of things I've tried.

-Remove any recent updates (Only Office updates have been installed recently)
-Remove/Reinstall USB drivers
-Remove any USB port related software
-Removed old SW2 and installed new Beta version
-Updated all drivers on the PC

I don't have any trouble with any of my other USB devices on this system, including my Digidesign 002 DAW. It only seems to be that Elad seems to be the one having a problem.

I suppose my next step would be to try a new PC. What a pain!

On Saturday, January 14, 2017 7:44 PM, "Darwin Lambeth darwinlambeth@... [elad_sdr_en]" wrote:

I have been using SW2 with FDM-DUO for months and all of a sudden I cannot run the software without it freezing up. When it locks up the computer beeps like you unplugged/plugged a USB device in or out. It's constantly doing that.

Any ideas?

Regards,
K5RWD

Bill Nollman

Did you delete/rename the ELAD folder in your user directory, such as: C:\Users\billn\Documents\ELAD

Bill

On Saturday, January 14, 2017 7:44 PM, "Darwin Lambeth darwinlambeth@... [elad_sdr_en]" <elad_sdr_en@...> wrote:

I have been using SW2 with FDM-DUO for months and all of a sudden I cannot run the software without it freezing up. When it locks up the computer beeps like you unplugged/plugged a USB device in or out. It's constantly doing that.

Any ideas?

Regards,

K5RWD

Darwin Lambeth

No, I have not tried that. I will uninstall SW2 and try that then reinstall.

[...]

Neil Smith G4DBN

To add to the common pool of knowledge, it would be really useful to take a copy of that directory before deletion, then a copy of the same directory after you fix it.  Then run a DIFF between the old and new versions to see what the actual problem is.  If you don't have an XML-aware difftool, zip the two folders and mail them to me and I'll run an xml diff to see what is changed.  Might save someone a lot of bother if this happens to them.

In general, you should always take regular copies of the c:\users\xxxx\Documents\ELAD\FDM-SW2 folder (but exclude the Recordings folder).  I usually take a new copy each Sunday so I can go back to earlier versions nice and easily.

It is possible that you have a different problem with USB drivers or something, but the recent problems I have had are all related to either notch filter settings in the XML ini files, or profiles, and I fixed that by deleting the profile folder, then creating two profiles.  The I took another copy of the whole folder, just in case!

Neil G4DBN

On 15/01/2017 13:36, Darwin Lambeth darwinlambeth@... [elad_sdr_en] wrote:

[...]

!
Any ideas?

Regards,
K5RWD

Avast logo

Bill Nollman

Just delete the folder (or rename it) and restart SW2. No reinstall needed although all settings will go back to default.

[...]

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried all of the above and I'm still not having luck here. I even removed my PC from the domain and deleted all my local user profiles and started over. Even under different local user accounts, it's happening. This seems to indicate either the Elad FDM-DUO is having issues, or the computer itself has problems. What is really odd is that SW2 will run okay but as soon as I open Google Chrome SW2 immediately locks up. I run a pretty safe ship here, pretty sure it's not malware or anything like that. I guess I'm going to have to setup another PC and try .

Thanks for all of your help,
K5RWD

[...]

Does SW2 run OK in standalone mode?  How about with just the CAT usb, or any other combinations? What if you start Chrome with no extensions?

Anything showing in the Windows event viewer logs for system or application or security? How about any errors or event reported by the anti-malware program on the machine?

Any Elad devices marked with errors in Device Manager?  How about uninstalling the device driver and reconnecting the radio, then turning on and reinstalling?

Trying it on a second machine would certainly be the next step.

Nei G4DBN

On 15/01/2017 18:27, Darwin Lambeth darwinlambeth@... [elad_sdr_en] wrote:

[...]

[RESOLVED]

Apparently my computers USB bus or something has flaked out. I installed everything on a different computer and I'm not having the issue now.

Thanks for everyone input, 73.

Darwin
K5RWD