RX differences between FDM Duo and FDM S2?

Chris Wilson

Can anyone please tell me the receiver diffrences between the FDM-Duo
transceiver and the FDM-S2 receiver? My particular interest is LF and
MF amateur transmissions, and in future VLF stuff. Is there any way
the FDM-S2 can be locked to a GPS frequency standard? Thanks.

--

Best regards,
Chris mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

Alberto I2PHD

On 10/27/2016 11:12 AM, Chris Wilson chris@... [elad_sdr_en] wrote:

Can anyone please tell me the receiver diffrences between the FDM-Duo
transceiver and the FDM-S2 receiver? My particular interest is LF and
MF amateur transmissions, and in future VLF stuff. Is there any way
the FDM-S2 can be locked to a GPS frequency standard? Thanks.

AFAIK, the front ends of the rigs are identical... same input filter, same ADC, same FPGA, same clock speed, so from the point of view
of the sensitivity, frequency range, dynamic range, the two are practically identical.

The difference is that the S2 does not have the capability to be locked to a GPS-originated 10 MHz input... so if this is an important
issue for you, my advice would be to sell (or keep...) the S2, and buy a DUO, possibly the receive only version, the DUOr.

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam

Chris Wilson

Hello Alberto,

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Thank you very much Alberto, I had no idea that a DUOr even existed
until now, I will have to look at my finances and decide if I could
perhaps run to the transceiver. Do you think it's a good choice for LF
operation?

All the best, much appreciated.

On 10/28/2016 9:20 PM, Chris Wilson chris@... [elad_sdr_en] wrote:

Thank you very much Alberto, I had no idea that a DUOr even existed
until now, I will have to look at my finances and decide if I could
perhaps run to the transceiver. Do you think it's a good choice for LF
operation?

Yes, the DUO, DUOr and the S2 are excellent performers at LF... some of the best
receptions of the SAQ transmission at 17.2 kHz I have ever made, have been made
with my DUO. Also the MSF time/frequency standard of Anthorn, Scotland at 60 kHz
is received perfectly using the DUO, and so are many NDBs.

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam

Chris Wilson

Hello Alberto,

Friday, October 28, 2016

Again, many thanks Alberto, I like the seamless ability to lock them
to GPS, I am pretty sure one of them will be on my bench by Christmas,
much appreciated!!

On 10/28/2016 9:20 PM, Chris Wilson chris@chriswilson.tv [elad_sdr_en] wrote:

Thank you very much Alberto, I had no idea that a DUOr even existed
until now, I will have to look at my finances and decide if I could
perhaps run to the transceiver. Do you think it's a good choice for LF
operation?

Yes, the DUO, DUOr and the S2 are excellent performers at LF... some of the best
receptions of the SAQ transmission at 17.2 kHz I have ever made, have been made
with my DUO. Also the MSF time/frequency standard of Anthorn, Scotland at 60 kHz
is received perfectly using the DUO, and so are many NDBs.

--
Best regards,
Chris mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

Richard Langley

Slight correction: Anthorn is in Cumbria, ENGLAND. Mind you, it is only a few km from Solway Firth and the Scottish border. ;-)

| Richard B. Langley E-mail: lang@unb.ca |
| Geodetic Research Laboratory Web: http://gge.unb.ca/ |
| Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering Phone: +1 506 453-5142 |
| University of New Brunswick Fax: +1 506 453-4943 |
| Fredericton, N.B., Canada E3B 5A3 |
| Fredericton? Where's that? See: http://www.fredericton.ca/ |

On 10/29/2016 2:58 PM, Richard Langley lang@... [elad_sdr_en] wrote:
Slight correction: Anthorn is in Cumbria, ENGLAND. Mind you, it is only a few km from Solway Firth and the Scottish border. ;-)

Oh, sorry...� maybe I touched a raw nerve...� :-)� In Italy too, and especially in Tuscany, where I was born, sometimes can be dangerous
to attribute to a person of being born in a particular town, when he was actually born in another town, which is (mind, from Middleage...)
not in a good relationship with the first...

For example, I was born in Lucca, Tuscany, but don't dare to call me a "pisan", in other words, don't make me a native of the town of Pisa...
You could be in serious troubles...� :-)

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam