FDM-S2 and Windows 10

Stan Horzepa

I bought an FDM-S2 at Hamvention and plan to run it from my Mac OS X laptop using Parallels and some version of Windows. Since I have to buy Windows, I was wondering if the FDM-S2 software is good to go with Windows 10 or should I use Windows 7 or 8?

Thank-you,

Stan, WA1LOU

carl watterson

Stan,
I am using an I7-6700 windows machine with windows 10 pro. The FDM-S2 software seems to run
just fine. I am also successfully using HRD, FLDIGI, N1MM, MMTTY, MRP40.
Windows 10 is not challenged by ham radio software. However, you will find it represents a
learning curve.
Carl K0YCR

---In elad_sdr_en@..., <stanzepa@...> wrote :

I bought an FDM-S2 at Hamvention and plan to run it from my Mac OS X laptop using Parallels and some version of Windows. Since I have to buy Windows, I was wondering if the FDM-S2 software is good to go with Windows 10 or should I use Windows 7 or 8?

Thank-you,

Stan, WA1LOU

Stan Horzepa

Thank you, Carl.

Otso Ylönen

Hi
I have a rather powerful Asus ROG G750jw gaming laptop as basis of my DX studio. I ended up having both Win 7 and 10 on it as a dual-boot setup. The reason is that there is something, apparently in the Realted audio drivers under Win 10, that makes it impossible to use multiple virtual receivers (RX1, 2, 3, 4) at the same time. The audio starts to stutter very badly. I have updated all drivers and hardware related sw components I have found with no remedy. Therefore, I run Elad SW2 only under Windows 7. Otherwise, I would prefer 10.

I have no experience about Win 8 or 8.1 with Elad.

BR, Otso

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 01. Juni 2016 um 16:30 Uhr
Von: "stanzepa@... [elad_sdr_en]"
An: elad_sdr_en@...
Betreff: [elad_sdr_en] Re: FDM-S2 and Windows 10

Thank you, Carl.

Stan Horzepa

Thank you, Otso!

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 01. Juni 2016 um 16:30 Uhr
Von: "stanzepa@... [elad_sdr_en]"
An: elad_sdr_en@...

Thank you, Carl.

alanskerker@...

Stan,
If your laptop is at least Mid 2012 you should be able to run FDM with Windows 8.1 or 10 under Parallels or Bootcamp; if earlier, then you may be able to get 7 to work. I have two older Mac laptops that I was hoping to repurpose for FDM; however, after checking specs found that neither met the RAM requirements for Parallels with Windows and in the case of Bootcamp, the Windows support software from Apple was no longer available for either machine, so a dive into your laptop specs if you have not already done that could save you some frustration. Luckily, I found a used HP laptop running Vista Home and FDM seems quite happy under this system.

Stan Horzepa

Thank you, Alan. I own a couple of top-of-the-line-for-their-time Mac laptops and will be checking their specs tonight.

Stan, WA1LOU

On 6/1/2016 3:42 PM, alanskerker@... [elad_sdr_en] wrote:

Stan,

If your laptop is at least Mid 2012 you should be able to run FDM with Windows 8.1 or 10 under Parallels or Bootcamp; if earlier, then you may be able to get 7 to work. I have two older Mac laptops that I was hoping to repurpose for FDM; however, after checking specs found that neither met the RAM requirements for Parallels with Windows and in the case of Bootcamp, the Windows support software from Apple was no longer available for either machine, so a dive into your laptop specs if you have not already done that could save you some frustration. Luckily, I found a used HP laptop running Vista Home and FDM seems quite happy under this system.

carl watterson

Otso,
I set up two windows. On stays on the dx frequency and doesn't change. The ch2 windows is tunable over the wall of people calling the dx station and controls the ftdx3000 transmit frequency. 1st window on left channel and 2nd window on right channel. I take the audio from the computer and run it to powered speaker. I can redily hear both windows.
Computer is as follows:
Asus rog maximum viii hero motherboard
Chip is intel i7 6700 @ 4.2ghz
64 gigs ram
Nved 1200gps ssd
Windows 10 pro
Carl K0YCR

Tony_AD0VC

I run Windows 10 on an old Core2 quad desktop with realtek audio on an GigaByte motherboard with 8GB ram.

I just ran all 4 receivers in SW2 at the same time with no difficulty. Thats one for W10.

Tony

To: elad_sdr_en@...
From: elad_sdr_en@...
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 05:26:41 -0700
Subject: [elad_sdr_en] FDM-S2 and Windows 10

I bought an FDM-S2 at Hamvention and plan to run it from my Mac OS X laptop using Parallels and some version of Windows. Since I have to buy Windows, I was wondering if the FDM-S2 software is good to go with Windows 10 or should I use Windows 7 or 8?

Thank-you,

Stan, WA1LOU

Stan Horzepa

Thanks, Tony.

Stan, WA1LOU

�

To: elad_sdr_en@...
From: elad_sdr_en@...
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 05:26:41 -0700

�

I bought an FDM-S2 at Hamvention and plan to run it from my Mac OS X laptop using Parallels and some version of Windows. Since I have to buy Windows, I was wondering if the FDM-S2 software is good to go with Windows 10 or should I use Windows 7 or 8?

Thank-you,

Stan, WA1LOU

on2ron@...

I have had no problems with W7,8 or 10. Only in the first official release of W10/64 there was a tiny audio problem that was later resolved. This was depending on the audio chips of the MB.

73' Ron
ON2RON

the_shamen@...

@Anthony...

mmm Win 10
I'm sure MS enjoyed the experience of listening in also :p

Alexandra Stucki

Hi

i m using the S2 one a laptop with Windows 10
as well on the main computer

never had any problem
best regards
HE9WSL   Lexa

Stan Horzepa

Based on the majority opinion here, I ordered Windows 10 to use with the FDM-S2 software. I plan to install it on my Mac laptop via the Boot Camp option.

Thank you all for weighing in on this.

73,

Stan, WA1LOU