UPDARE Elad and Perseus Reception

George Stein - NJ3H

Update on Elad and Perseus Reception

Last week I posted messages to both the Elad and Perseus Groups concerning reception issues.

I would like to thank each and every person who took the time to answer and to offer suggestions.  I very much appreciate YOUR efforts in helping me out.  After being a SWL, MW DXer, and Ham Radio operator since the 60s and 70s (Ham), my frustration level was pretty high upon getting the shack set up here in Oregon.  The set up back in Virginia wasn’t great, but at least it worked.  Here, the noise level was so high that nothing was being heard except for strong MW local stations.

Presently, things are much improved.  This improvement was not of my doing.  Whatever the noise source was has subsided for the most part.  The are parts of the MW band that still has a buzz, but strong distant stations can at least be heard.  From here in Oregon, I have been able to log on MW: Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Mexico since things cleared up on this end.  I had a strong carrier on 775 khz, one evening, but could not hear any audio.  The noise level is usually -110 db.

On shortwave, I am still not overly pleased with reception.  The 9 and 10 mhz band just isn’t great, even though the noise floor is -115 db.  Even 10 mhz WWV is barely copyable.

Another update is that the curving black line (not a slant issue) when copying WEFAX transmissions with the Perseus continues.  However, when using the Elad, this does not happen.  I purchased the Elad last August, right before dismantling things for the move, so it was never tested.  This tells me there is definitely something odd with my Perseus when it comes to WEFAX decoding.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what might have happened with the 9/10 mhz reception, I would appreciate any comments.

Again thanks to all for the help last week.

Regards,

George, NJ3H

Redmond, Oregon USA

Perseus and Elad FDM S2

Wellbrook ALA1530AL-2

daiche

Hi George,

I am Dave N7NZH in Grants Pass, Oregon. We are looking at the Bend/Redmond area as a possible place to relocate in a few years too, not that we don't like GP. Curious about MW reception there with several strong Bend stations and the 1KW one there on 1240 in Redmond. Does that bother your ELAD at all and how does it affect night-time reception, seemingly all with lower power? I have the ELAD S2, Afedri dual input and CloudIQ SDR radios and they are all very unhappy with my 10KW and 5KW AM stations less than 3 miles away here in GP. I was thinking that Redmond might be better than Bend because of that. Any comments? As far as antenna setup here, it is pretty good. I am in a house next to the Community College and have 600'-800' distance from powerlines. I am using a 7 1/2' square loop and an FLG100 amplifier and do pretty good at night, with the noise-floor down around S1-S2. Most of the time I use the FLG100 without the nulling resistor for a bidirectional pattern and it is quieter than a Wellbrook ALA100 based loop for some reason.

Dave Aichelman     N7NZH     Grants Pass, Oregon

David Kennett

Elad sells a high pass broadcast band filter.  Might do the trick.

Dave  W8KFJ

Michele

I own that filter.... Very good! (quite expensive for me.... But really needed it!)

--
_____________________

Michele IZ5035SWL

venerdì, 04 marzo 2016, 11:48PM +01:00 da "w8kfj@... [elad_sdr_en]" <elad_sdr_en@...>:

Elad sells a high pass broadcast band filter.  Might do the trick.

Dave  W8KFJ

George Stein - NJ3H

Thanks to Dave and Michele for their comments. I currently have a Clifton Labs BCB filter.  Unfortunately it has made no difference in the 9/10 mhz range.

Regards,
George, NJ3H
Redmond, Oregon USA
Perseus and Elad FDM-S2