Remote Operation of Elad FDM-S2


Les Rayburn
 

My home suffers from a lot of RFI noise generated from my neighbors house, which are literally just feet away. I’ve eliminated the majority of the offenders in my own home, by banning cheap switching power supplies, but cannot affect cures in my neighborhood. 

Fortunately, we own a secondary building, which houses a workshop. It’s located on the far end of our back yard, and a good 100 feet away from the nearest neighbors home. It’s an “RF Quiet Zone” in a sea of noise. 

I’d like to move my Wellbrook Loop and Clifton Labs active whips to this area, and then operate the Elad remotely from there. 

Is it possible to remotely operate the Elad SDR? I’d love to hear from anyone who has accomplished this, including pitfalls you may have encountered. I have a laptop that I could put in the workshop along with the SDR. The entire system would be within range of our Wi-Fi network. 

Any help greatly appreciated. 


73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA. 

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip. 



N2MS
 

Les,

How far is your workshop from your operating location?

If it is 100-200 feet you can locate the Loop and Whip remotely remotely and feed the with RG-6 coaxes back to the shack.

This way you could easilt switch antennas.

Mike N2MS

----- Original Message -----
From: Les Rayburn les@... [elad_sdr_en] <elad_sdr_en@...>
To: elad sdr en <elad_sdr_en@...>
Sent: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 19:09:08 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: [elad_sdr_en] Remote Operation of Elad FDM-S2

My home suffers from a lot of RFI noise generated from my neighbors house, which are literally just feet away. I’ve eliminated the majority of the offenders in my own home, by banning cheap switching power supplies, but cannot affect cures in my neighborhood.

Fortunately, we own a secondary building, which houses a workshop. It’s located on the far end of our back yard, and a good 100 feet away from the nearest neighbors home. It’s an “RF Quiet Zone” in a sea of noise.

I’d like to move my Wellbrook Loop and Clifton Labs active whips to this area, and then operate the Elad remotely from there.

Is it possible to remotely operate the Elad SDR? I’d love to hear from anyone who has accomplished this, including pitfalls you may have encountered. I have a laptop that I could put in the workshop along with the SDR. The entire system would be within range of our Wi-Fi network.

Any help greatly appreciated.


73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.


Les Rayburn
 

Unfortunately, I can’t run the cables in a straight line. If I moved the antenna to the “radio quiet zone”, and ran coax back to the shack, it would need to run around our privacy fence, and be about 175’ to a 200’ run. 

I’d also need to route the rotor cable this length as well. Certainly an option, but I’m concerned that the cables would pick up noise along that length and bring it back into the shack. Common mode chokes should eliminate that. 

RG-6 would be inexpensive solution. Am I missing any other caveats with this option? 




73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA. 

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip. 



lasse moell
 

Go for it!
Bury the cable and use some clamp-on ferrites (mix-31) to decouple the cable.

Leave the rotoator for now... I would try to null out any wide band noise and let it be, to verify that the antenna works as you expect. If you find the nulls are hampering you can try get the rotator going.

/Lasse SM5GLC

23 februari 2016 18:18:31 +01:00, skrev Les Rayburn les@... [elad_sdr_en] :

 


Unfortunately, I can’t run the cables in a straight line. If I moved the antenna to the “radio quiet zone”, and ran coax back to the shack, it would need to run around our privacy fence, and be about 175’ to a 200’ run. 

I’d also need to route the rotor cable this length as well. Certainly an option, but I’m concerned that the cables would pick up noise along that length and bring it back into the shack. Common mode chokes should eliminate that. 

RG-6 would be inexpensive solution. Am I missing any other caveats with this option? 




73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA. 

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip. 





N2MS
 

I would you Flooded RG-6. I use Flooded RG-6 type well as F-11 (RG-11 type) to my active whips in the backyard.

Use quality cable from a company like Commscope.

If you are concerned about voltage drop you can purchased RG-6 satellite cable that has a copper center conductor.

An alternate method would be to set up remote server, such as a laptop, and access via Wi-Fi. You may have noise issues from the laptop or power supply. I'd use a linear power supply. You would need a way of switching antennas.

Mike N2MS

----- Original Message -----
From: Les Rayburn les@... [elad_sdr_en] <elad_sdr_en@...>
To: elad sdr en <elad_sdr_en@...>
Sent: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 17:18:31 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: [elad_sdr_en] Re: Remote Operation of Elad FDM-S2

Unfortunately, I can’t run the cables in a straight line. If I moved the antenna to the “radio quiet zone”, and ran coax back to the shack, it would need to run around our privacy fence, and be about 175’ to a 200’ run.

I’d also need to route the rotor cable this length as well. Certainly an option, but I’m concerned that the cables would pick up noise along that length and bring it back into the shack. Common mode chokes should eliminate that.

RG-6 would be inexpensive solution. Am I missing any other caveats with this option?




73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL
EM63nf


Ed Thierbach
 

You could also look into remote USB products, that let you access USB devices remotely across an IP network. Haven't used that myself for accessing radio USB ports, just thought it was worth mentioning as a possibility.
73,
-Ed- AB8OJ

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 12:39 PM, mstangelo@... [elad_sdr_en] <elad_sdr_en@...> wrote:
 

I would you Flooded RG-6. I use Flooded RG-6 type well as F-11 (RG-11 type) to my active whips in the backyard.

Use quality cable from a company like Commscope.

If you are concerned about voltage drop you can purchased RG-6 satellite cable that has a copper center conductor.

An alternate method would be to set up remote server, such as a laptop, and access via Wi-Fi. You may have noise issues from the laptop or power supply. I'd use a linear power supply. You would need a way of switching antennas.

Mike N2MS
----- Original Message -----
From: Les Rayburn les@... [elad_sdr_en] <elad_sdr_en@...>
To: elad sdr en <elad_sdr_en@...>
Sent: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 17:18:31 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: [elad_sdr_en] Re: Remote Operation of Elad FDM-S2

Unfortunately, I can’t run the cables in a straight line. If I moved the antenna to the “radio quiet zone”, and ran coax back to the shack, it would need to run around our privacy fence, and be about 175’ to a 200’ run.

I’d also need to route the rotor cable this length as well. Certainly an option, but I’m concerned that the cables would pick up noise along that length and bring it back into the shack. Common mode chokes should eliminate that.

RG-6 would be inexpensive solution. Am I missing any other caveats with this option?

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL
EM63nf



ks4ju@...
 

I agree that probably the simplest solution and the end go the day is to relocate the antennas. However another solution you could look into is remote access over your network. However you will need a second computer to attach the S2 to and you will probably have to stay at the lower sample rates. If you don't have a second computer take a look at the Pipo X7 or X9. The X7 runs slightly over $100 and runs Win 8 or 10 on a quad core processor. It also has a decent 7 inch touch screen built in, wifi, and 4 usb ports. Makes a pretty good server for the money. It will handle the FDM software pretty well at the lower sampling rates. So here are a couple options once you have set up the remote computer.

1. Elad provides a web server that you can download that interfaces to the FDM software. The radio, web server, and the FDM software is located on the remote computer. Once everything is up and running, you can then access the S2 and it's audio through a browser. However, this method is extremely limited as far as what you can control on the remote radio.

2. The second option is just use something like Teamviewer that will be installed on both the remote computer and your local computer. Teamviewer will allow you to hear, see, and control the remote computer as if you were at the remote computer. This is probably the best method.

Now you will have to figure out how you want to connect the local and remote computer. The obvious method is of course WiFi. As long as both computers are on the same network they can talk to each other. However, network through put will be your enemy here. Your inside computer will probably be getting a strong signal from your router, but the remote one will be getting a weaker signal. The more bandwidth lost, the worse this will work. If you are using the older Wireless N type router, distance between the remote computer and the WiFi router will be critical. If you are using the new Wireless AC standard wifi router that would be much better since the distance and network bandwidth is much higher. You would also have to be sure the remote computer has a wireless AC network usb adapter installed unless it has built in AC adapter. With that all being said, the best performance can be obtained by simply connecting the two computers together with a long piece of network cable.


Fabio
 
Edited

Hallo,

    After some time i decided to have a look to Elad web server for new devs for my S2. It was a bit sad to see that there is not so much new. Elad web server is still quite limited. It controls frequency, mode and bandwith only. The spectrum is very small and badly readable, there is no possibility to record or transfer files or to make any setting. It's almost not usable. My hope was to be able to place my S2 is a quite/remote place and to fully control it from the noisy apartment in town. Yes, I know teamviewer but apparently I'm not able to solve some issues with it (poor/no audio transfer), I'm looking for something more specific for SDRs.

Do you see other options to have a good dedicated software to control a remote S2 these days ? 

Thank you so much for suggestions, bye !

Fabio


Otso Ylönen
 

Hi,

TeamViewer has recently behaved quite well. It used to have a lot of audio isaues. If I have problems with it I use Anydesk, instead.

I have never even tried Elad Remote because I want to handle several other DX apps when using my receiver remotely: rotator control, Sony XDR-GTK, note taking and logging etc.

BR, Otso

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

On 23.8.2020, 17.09 Fabio <iu2fqt@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hallo,

    After some time i decided to have a look to Elad web server for new devs for my S2. It was a bit sad to see that there is not so much new. Elad web server is still quite limited. It controls frequency, mode and bandwith only. The spectrum is very small and badly readable, there is no possibility to record or transfer files or to make any setting. It's almost not usable. My hope was to be able to place my S2 is a quite/remote place and to fully control it from the noisy apartment in town. Yes, I know teamviewer but apparently I'm not able to solve some issues with it (poor/no audio transfer), I'm looking for something more specific for SDRs.

Do you see other options to have a good dedicated software to control a remote S2 these days ? 

Thank you so much for suggestions, bye !

Fabio


g0ofe
 


On 23/08/2020 14:08, Fabio wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hallo,

    After some time i decided to have a look to Elad web server for new devs for my S2. It was a bit sad to see that there is not so much new. Elad web server is still quite limited. It controls frequency, mode and bandwith only. The spectrum is very small and badly readable, there is no possibility to record or transfer files or to make any setting. It's almost not usable. My hope was to be able to place my S2 is a quite/remote place and to fully control it from the noisy apartment in town. Yes, I know teamviewer but apparently I'm not able to solve some issues with it (poor/no audio transfer), I'm looking for something more specific for SDRs.

Do you see other options to have a good dedicated software to control a remote S2 these days ? 

Thank you so much for suggestions, bye !

Fabio


g0ofe
 

SDR Console has a Remote function ("Server") and it works very well.

On 23/08/2020 14:08, Fabio wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hallo,

    After some time i decided to have a look to Elad web server for new devs for my S2. It was a bit sad to see that there is not so much new. Elad web server is still quite limited. It controls frequency, mode and bandwith only. The spectrum is very small and badly readable, there is no possibility to record or transfer files or to make any setting. It's almost not usable. My hope was to be able to place my S2 is a quite/remote place and to fully control it from the noisy apartment in town. Yes, I know teamviewer but apparently I'm not able to solve some issues with it (poor/no audio transfer), I'm looking for something more specific for SDRs.

Do you see other options to have a good dedicated software to control a remote S2 these days ? 

Thank you so much for suggestions, bye !

Fabio


BetaJBK
 

I'm also controlling my S2 remotely with SDR Console Server, version 2, and it works very well. Server version 3 also works, but it requires a fast internet connection of wide bandwidth. This limits my buying of Elad FDM-S3, when it comes available, because it can not be controlled by Server version 2. I'm hoping this could on the things-to-list for Elad. An alternative would be a real Server program from Elad.   

On Sunday, August 23, 2020, 06:56:50 PM GMT+3, g0ofe <forums@...> wrote:


SDR Console has a Remote function ("Server") and it works very well.

On 23/08/2020 14:08, Fabio wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hallo,

    After some time i decided to have a look to Elad web server for new devs for my S2. It was a bit sad to see that there is not so much new. Elad web server is still quite limited. It controls frequency, mode and bandwith only. The spectrum is very small and badly readable, there is no possibility to record or transfer files or to make any setting. It's almost not usable. My hope was to be able to place my S2 is a quite/remote place and to fully control it from the noisy apartment in town. Yes, I know teamviewer but apparently I'm not able to solve some issues with it (poor/no audio transfer), I'm looking for something more specific for SDRs.

Do you see other options to have a good dedicated software to control a remote S2 these days ? 

Thank you so much for suggestions, bye !

Fabio