Cropping an FDM-S2 wav file

John Faulkner, Skegness <john.faulkner@...>

Somebody told me that it is possible to crop a wav file to make it physically smaller, but I cannot see a way to do this.

I have a recording of a meteor burst which is only three seconds in length. If I can crop this down I would be able to shrink a 2GB to a tiny fraction of this, which would be enormously helpful when it comes to uploading and downloading such a file.

Thanks if anybody can help.

Regards.

John

amazingalgo@...

John, for the Perseus there is a program called wav chopper. I never have tested it with Elad files. More than likely it will not work due to the different WAV structure.

Best regards,
Ron
ON2RON

Stuart Heathcock

I wonder who wrote wavchopper for the Perseus? Could the source be modified to work with Elad files?

Stuart

Somebody told me that it is possible to crop a wav file to make it
physically smaller, but I cannot see a way to do this.

I have a recording of a meteor burst which is only three seconds in
length. If I can crop this down I would be able to shrink a 2GB to a
tiny fraction of this, which would be enormously helpful when it comes
to uploading and downloading such a file.

Thanks if anybody can help.

Regards.

John

Stuart Heathcock

I tested it and it does not work with Elad.

Stuart

John, for the Perseus there is a program called wav chopper. I never have tested it with Elad files. More than likely it will not work due to the different WAV structure.

Best regards,
Ron
ON2RON

Markdxanglesey@...

John

You can use the a and b tabs at the start and end of the section you want to save, then right click on the file tab (i think) having said that I have not got it to work yet and have e mailed Franco who said he would look into it. It is in the instruction manual also.

Mark

Somebody told me that it is possible to crop a wav file to make it
physically smaller, but I cannot see a way to do this.

I have a recording of a meteor burst which is only three seconds in
length. If I can crop this down I would be able to shrink a 2GB to a
tiny fraction of this, which would be enormously helpful when it comes
to uploading and downloading such a file.

Thanks if anybody can help.

Regards.

John

Barry Williams <ba.williams@...>

John,

There is a freeware file to do this but it is for the MacOS. It only recognizes the first 2 gHz of data. The program has that limitation, I believe. It can extract any frequency, bandwidth, length & mode from a 'living sonagram' type of waterfall pic. It saves to audio wav files. Write me offlist if you want me to try and do it for you.

Barry

On 9/1/15 11:55 AM, 'John Faulkner, Skegness' john.faulkner@... [elad_sdr_en] wrote:

Somebody told me that it is possible to crop a wav file to make it
physically smaller, but I cannot see a way to do this.

I have a recording of a meteor burst which is only three seconds in
length. If I can crop this down I would be able to shrink a 2GB to a
tiny fraction of this, which would be enormously helpful when it comes
to uploading and downloading such a file.

Thanks if anybody can help.

Regards.

John

Guido Schotmans

John, You can use SDR Data File Decimator that comes with SDR Console, but that would make the file unreadable for the Elad software. You can alter the centre frequency and bandwidth.

73,

Guido.

Somebody told me that it is possible to crop a wav file to make it
physically smaller, but I cannot see a way to do this.

I have a recording of a meteor burst which is only three seconds in
length. If I can crop this down I would be able to shrink a 2GB to a
tiny fraction of this, which would be enormously helpful when it comes
to uploading and downloading such a file.

Thanks if anybody can help.

Regards.

John

Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
Versie: 2015.0.6086 / Virusdatabase: 4409/10554 - datum van uitgifte: 09/01/15

John Faulkner, Skegness <john.faulkner@...>

Thank you all.

I already tried WavChopper but it didn't work. The only thing I didn't try was the SDR Console File Decimator (I didn't know it could be used for this purpose)  I will give it a try, but I really want to play back the files in the FDM-S2 so I can output to RDS Spy.

Thanks

John

On 01/09/2015 18:46, Barry Williams ba.williams@... [elad_sdr_en] wrote:

[...]

This is an excellent little program by Chris Smolinski of Blackcat Systems. He has written a lot of Mac radio software, and some for the iPhone/iPad and Android devices.

Barry

On 9/1/15 2:11 PM, 'John Faulkner, Skegness' john.faulkner@... [elad_sdr_en] wrote:

[...]

George Stein - NJ3H

It sounds like this should be in Franco's court since  it was mentioned in the manual that the capability is there.  A little tweaking of his programming code may fix it.

The wav chopper for the Perseus works fine.  Having the same capability for the Elad would be wonderful.

Regards,
George, NJ3H
Stephens City, Virginia USA
Perseus SDR and Wellbrook ALA1530AL-2

From:"Barry Williams ba.williams@... [elad_sdr_en]"
Date:Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 3:39 PM
Subject:Re: [elad_sdr_en] Cropping an FDM-S2 wav file

[...]

charlesh3@...

Nope, WavChopper knows nothing about the Elad format. I added RFSpace support a while back and can add Elad but will wait and see if Franco gets it working in his SW.

Failing that, where can I find a definition of the Elad RIFF format?

Chuck

George Stein - NJ3H

Hi Chuck,

I use your WavChopper a lot with the Perseus and am very appreciative of your efforts.  To be able to use the same software for the Elad as well would be an added bonus.  I hope someone can send you the necessary file parameters that you will need.

Thank you!

Regards,
George, NJ3H
Stephens City, Virginia USA
Perseus SDR,  Elad 2, and Wellbrook ALA1530AL-2

From:"charlesh3@... [elad_sdr_en]"
Date:Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 4:27 PM

Nope, WavChopper knows nothing about the Elad format. I added RFSpace support a while back and can add Elad but will wait and see if Franco gets it working in his SW.

Failing that, where can I find a definition of the Elad RIFF format?

Chuck

amazingalgo@...

Hi Chuck,

I also used wavshopper very frequently with my perseus wich I sold and I embrace the efforts to make a variant for the Elad format. I suspect Franco is enjoying a nice deserved holiday and will get back to it in due time.

Best regards,
Ron
ON2RON

Daniel Bower

Audacity is my first choice when it comes to manipulating audio files.

I cannot see a reason why it could not crop an SW2 wav.

Its free and open source so no reason not to give it a go

Danny 2E0YDB

On 1 Sep 2015 5:56 pm, "'John Faulkner, Skegness' john.faulkner@... [elad_sdr_en]" <elad_sdr_en@...> wrote:

Somebody told me that it is possible to crop a wav file to make it
physically smaller, but I cannot see a way to do this.

I have a recording of a meteor burst which is only three seconds in
length. If I can crop this down I would be able to shrink a 2GB to a
tiny fraction of this, which would be enormously helpful when it comes
to uploading and downloading such a file.

Thanks if anybody can help.

Regards.

John

Henry

I see a reason because the Elad soft cannot play files cropped with Audacity.
Neither RF nor AF.
What export format do you choose in Audacity?
How did you manage that Audacity maintains L.O. frequency, demodulation frequency, demodulation mode, filter bandwidth a. s. o.?
73, Henry

---In elad_sdr_en@..., <danbbower@...> wrote :

Audacity is my first choice when it comes to manipulating audio files.

I cannot see a reason why it could not crop an SW2 wav.

John Faulkner, Skegness <john.faulkner@...>

You beat me to it Henry. The wav files created by the SW2 software are not traditional audio files. But if you've found a way to do this in Audacity Dan then please share. Stranger things have been known to happen.

Thanks.

John

---In elad_sdr_en@..., wrote :

Audacity is my first choice when it comes to manipulating audio files.

I cannot see a reason why it could not crop an SW2 wav.

Kari Tuominen

SDRWav Lite in SW1 pack?

Richard Langley

​Aren't we confusing two types of file here? The Elad RF wav files have a different structure than Elad AF wav files. I believe the AF files are standard audio wav files, which can be played and edited by most audio file applications. The original question was about editing Elad RF wav files, correct?

-- Richard Langley

| Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: lang@...         |
| Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://gge.unb.ca      |
| Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142   |
| University of New Brunswick                   Fax:      +1 506 453-4943   |
| Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3                                        |
|        Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.fredericton.ca/       |

---In elad_sdr_en@..., wrote :

Audacity is my first choice when it comes to manipulating audio files.

I cannot see a reason why it could not crop an SW2 wav.

Richard Langley

​What is the name of the Black Cat software for the Mac that can edit an Elad RF wav file? Or were you talking about Elad AF wav files?