Topics

T/R Automatic Antenna Switch Looking for Recommendation

Bill Alpert

I'd like to use my S2 in conjunction with my Icom 7300, sharing a single antenna. Wondering if there's a quality automatic antenna switch with a relay to protect the SDR. I know that MFJ makes a couple of models in the $100 range, though they have mixed reviews. I don't mind spending a bit more to get a quality unit. Any recommendations appreciated!
--
Bill / KG6NRV

Charles Holliday

Seconded! I’m Also interested. I’d like to use my TS-480SAT as transmitter and FDM Duo as multiple receivers together from same antenna.

On Oct 30, 2019, at 10:00 PM, Bill Alpert <billalpert@...> wrote:

I'd like to use my S2 in conjunction with my Icom 7300, sharing a single antenna. Wondering if there's a quality automatic antenna switch with a relay to protect the SDR. I know that MFJ makes a couple of models in the $100 range, though they have mixed reviews. I don't mind spending a bit more to get a quality unit. Any recommendations appreciated!
--
Bill / KG6NRV

Don Moman VE6JY

At the risk of pointing out the obvious..... check the ELAD site.

I have the earlier ASW-1 model and it looks to be very nicely made.

73 Don
VE6JY

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 3:01 AM Charles Holliday <KG5IRU@...> wrote:
Seconded! I’m Also interested. I’d like to use my TS-480SAT as transmitter and FDM Duo as multiple receivers together from same antenna.

On Oct 30, 2019, at 10:00 PM, Bill Alpert <billalpert@...> wrote:

I'd like to use my S2 in conjunction with my Icom 7300, sharing a single antenna. Wondering if there's a quality automatic antenna switch with a relay to protect the SDR. I know that MFJ makes a couple of models in the $100 range, though they have mixed reviews. I don't mind spending a bit more to get a quality unit. Any recommendations appreciated!
--
Bill / KG6NRV

Bill Alpert

Thanks Don, I had no idea Elad sold this. Can you explain the connections on the back? RX vs RTX? And why are there separate audio inputs on the front? BTW, those are SO239s on the back yes?
It would be great if the S2 software used CAT in conjunction with this device to control my transmit frequency. Does it work that way?
Sorry for the newbie questions!
--
Bill / KG6NRV

Don Moman VE6JY

I'm not the person to explain all the ins and outs of the switch box....my system here doesn't require it, but there are illustrated small boxes below that, expanded, show some block diagrams that may answer some of the questions.  RX = receiver  RTX would be receiver and transmitter i.e. transceiver. Yes those are SO239's.  As far as audio - when you transmit, you need a way of managing the rx audio to prevent feedback, etc.  Just removing the antenna is not enough.

000140Pro3.jpg

000141Pro3.jpg

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 5:01 AM Bill Alpert <billalpert@...> wrote:
Thanks Don, I had no idea Elad sold this. Can you explain the connections on the back? RX vs RTX? And why are there separate audio inputs on the front? BTW, those are SO239s on the back yes?
It would be great if the S2 software used CAT in conjunction with this device to control my transmit frequency. Does it work that way?
Sorry for the newbie questions!
--
Bill / KG6NRV

Klaus Brosche, DK3QN <klaus.brosche@...>

Good morning from Bavaria,

There is a product from ELAD called 'ASW-2' which should meet your requirements, see here:

I would recommend using the PTT-line for switching, not RF VOX.

Plus, there is an add-on switch board for the PM-SDR which could be tailored to be used in your environment.
Needs an additional housing etc., some DIY work. See here:

I have *not* tried any of the 2 units myself.

73, Klaus, DK3QN

Am 31.10.2019 um 04:00 schrieb Bill Alpert:

I'd like to use my S2 in conjunction with my Icom 7300, sharing a single antenna. Wondering if there's a quality automatic antenna switch with a relay to protect the SDR. I know that MFJ makes a couple of models in the $100 range, though they have mixed reviews. I don't mind spending a bit more to get a quality unit. Any recommendations appreciated!
--
Bill / KG6NRV

Aaron Musick

Elad makes a nice one. Been down that road myself. Check the Elad web site.

Best Regards

Aaron Musick
Cell: 501-400-6958
amusick@...

Please excuse brevity, expect errors
Sent via Samsung Galaxy S7, an AT&T 4G LTE