Topics

T/R Automatic Antenna Switch Looking for Recommendation

Bill Alpert

I'd like to use my S2 in conjunction with my Icom 7300, sharing a single antenna. Wondering if there's a quality automatic antenna switch with a relay to protect the SDR. I know that MFJ makes a couple of models in the $100 range, though they have mixed reviews. I don't mind spending a bit more to get a quality unit. Any recommendations appreciated!
--
Bill / KG6NRV

Charles Holliday

Seconded! I’m Also interested. I’d like to use my TS-480SAT as transmitter and FDM Duo as multiple receivers together from same antenna. 

On Oct 30, 2019, at 10:00 PM, Bill Alpert <billalpert@...> wrote:

I'd like to use my S2 in conjunction with my Icom 7300, sharing a single antenna. Wondering if there's a quality automatic antenna switch with a relay to protect the SDR. I know that MFJ makes a couple of models in the $100 range, though they have mixed reviews. I don't mind spending a bit more to get a quality unit. Any recommendations appreciated!
--
Bill / KG6NRV

Don Moman VE6JY

At the risk of pointing out the obvious..... check the ELAD site. 

I have the earlier ASW-1 model and it looks to be very nicely made.

73 Don
VE6JY

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 3:01 AM Charles Holliday <KG5IRU@...> wrote:
Seconded! I’m Also interested. I’d like to use my TS-480SAT as transmitter and FDM Duo as multiple receivers together from same antenna. 

--
Bill / KG6NRV

Bill Alpert

Thanks Don, I had no idea Elad sold this. Can you explain the connections on the back? RX vs RTX? And why are there separate audio inputs on the front? BTW, those are SO239s on the back yes?
It would be great if the S2 software used CAT in conjunction with this device to control my transmit frequency. Does it work that way?
Sorry for the newbie questions!
--
Bill / KG6NRV

Don Moman VE6JY

I'm not the person to explain all the ins and outs of the switch box....my system here doesn't require it, but there are illustrated small boxes below that, expanded, show some block diagrams that may answer some of the questions.  RX = receiver  RTX would be receiver and transmitter i.e. transceiver. Yes those are SO239's.  As far as audio - when you transmit, you need a way of managing the rx audio to prevent feedback, etc.  Just removing the antenna is not enough.

000140Pro3.jpg

000141Pro3.jpg

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 5:01 AM Bill Alpert <billalpert@...> wrote:
Thanks Don, I had no idea Elad sold this. Can you explain the connections on the back? RX vs RTX? And why are there separate audio inputs on the front? BTW, those are SO239s on the back yes?
It would be great if the S2 software used CAT in conjunction with this device to control my transmit frequency. Does it work that way?
Sorry for the newbie questions!
--
Bill / KG6NRV

Klaus Brosche, DK3QN <klaus.brosche@...>

Good morning from Bavaria,

There is a product from ELAD called 'ASW-2' which should meet your requirements, see here:

I would recommend using the PTT-line for switching, not RF VOX.

Plus, there is an add-on switch board for the PM-SDR which could be tailored to be used in your environment.
Needs an additional housing etc., some DIY work. See here:

I have *not* tried any of the 2 units myself.

73, Klaus, DK3QN

Am 31.10.2019 um 04:00 schrieb Bill Alpert:

--
Bill / KG6NRV

Aaron Musick

Elad makes a nice one. Been down that road myself. Check the Elad web site.

Best Regards

Aaron Musick
Cell: 501-400-6958
amusick@... 

Please excuse brevity, expect errors 
Sent via Samsung Galaxy S7, an AT&T 4G LTE

-------- Original message --------
Date: 10/30/19 10:01 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: EladSDR@groups.io
Subject: Re: [EladSDR] T/R Automatic Antenna Switch Looking for Recommendation

--
Bill / KG6NRV

Clint Chron

Last year, I looked at the various boxes for using my Duo/S2 on the same antenna as my IC-7300.  MJF and Elad both have boxes that provide that function.  However, I wanted something that had features not found in commercial boxes. 

For those of you that might be interested in building their own box, I have created a design that allows a single antenna to be used for transmitting on an IC-7300 and receiving on a Duo or S2.  I have a complete engineering package for the build, including a circuit board (I can only supply the hard to find parts).  Here are the features of this design:

Box can be used to connect a mag loop antenna (Wellbrook or W6LVP) to the receiver in a transceiver and a normal antenna to the transmitter.

A power injector is included in the box for use with a mag loop antenna.

An AM band broadcast filter is included in the box to get rid of the OVR overload lights on the Duo or S2.

A receiver front end protector is in the box to protect the Duo or S2 from high level transmitted signals.

Box can be used such that a single antenna can be used for receiving on a Duo/S2 and transmitting on an IC-7300.

If interested, please shoot me an email to:  kiheiman at q dot com and I can send you some details along with pictures of the box.

Clint

W7KEC

From: EladSDR@groups.io [mailto:EladSDR@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Alpert
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 8:00 PM
To: EladSDR@groups.io
Subject: [EladSDR] T/R Automatic Antenna Switch Looking for Recommendation

--
Bill / KG6NRV

m7mcqio83ro@...

Hi All, just to point out that I have direct experience of the MFJ 1708B and it works fine!! In fact, I'd say it's one of MFJ's 'better made' products. You can read about my use of it HERE.