Topics

Deep Dive Question: FDM-SW2 to FDM-DUO method of control #comport #fdm-duo #fdm-sw2 #wsjt-x #fldigi

Patrick Bouldin KM5L

Edited

Howdy Neil, interesting stuff, to be sure. Well I experimented and reproduced what I thought you described. I put SW2 in direct mode with the DUO, then I changed freq. on the SW2 slider for channel RX1 and still no outbound CAT command (although it does receive CAT status). Since the DUO does respond with a frequency change, how is my hypothesis that the change comes within the SW2 to DUO (RX) USB cable? If not, what am I missing? See picture of my experiment. Same result, with our without stand-alone mode.

Patrick KM5L

Patrick Bouldin KM5L

Thanks Neil.  Two attachments - help me with their accuracy please and I'll update. I'll experiment a little on your feedback as well. Could have sworn I tried stand alone or not with same results. I'll do it again later.

Neil Smith G4DBN

Hi Patrick, you only get a CAT response if you send a CAT request to the USB CAT port in one of the modes where the DUO is in standalone or standalone plus 192kHz. As you suggest, SW2 does not use CAT for setting frequency of the DUO. You will see an update in the stream from the 9 pin port if the VFO frequency is changed. If you are using SW2 with the DUO in remote rather than standalone, then I don't know what the stream output does.
Similarly, if you send one of the supported CAT requests to the 9 pin port, and change a VFO frequency, there would be no output on the USB CAT port, but the stream output would be updated.
Neil G4DBN

-------- Original message --------
Date: 23/09/2019 04:47 (GMT+00:00)
To: EladSDR@groups.io
Subject: [EladSDR] Deep Dive Question: FDM-SW2 to FDM-DUO method of control #COMport #FDM-DUO #FDM-SW2 #WSJT-X #FLDIGI

I've been doing a lot of research today, just trying to figure out the interaction of frequency and mode control between the DUO and the other devices. Here's what I've noticed using the VSPE monitor, and using VSPE splitter and devices attached:
  • Any application, like WSJTX or FLDIGI will request frequency and mode over the outbound COM port assigned within the application (I saw the data going outbound on COM port)
  • Any application will receive the frequency and mode over the inbound COM port assigned within the application (and I noticed that the inbound is ALL shared when using VSPE, same inbound info is sent to all inbound devices, including FDM-SW2 RX devices (saw the data coming inbound on COM port)
--- but here's the kicker ---
  • I noticed that if you change the frequency of any RX channel (like RX1, RX2, RX3, or RX4) from FDM-SW2 app by sliding the bar, it does change the FDM-DUO VFO frequency, but there is no CAT data transmitted from the FDM-SW2 RX COM out port
Which leads me to my hypothesis that the when the slider on FDM-SW2 is moved on any RX, the resulting change in frequency on the radio must not be going over the CAT COM port, right? It must be going over the other USB where the radio/SW2 integration is being done?

Why do I care?  I don't know, I guess it will help me debug if problems surface.

73, Patrick KM5L

Patrick Bouldin KM5L

Edited

I've been doing a lot of research today, just trying to figure out the interaction of frequency and mode control between the DUO and the other devices. Here's what I've noticed using the VSPE monitor, and using VSPE splitter and devices attached:
  • Any application, like WSJTX or FLDIGI will request frequency and mode over the outbound COM port assigned within the application (I saw the data going outbound on COM port)
  • Any application will receive the frequency and mode over the inbound COM port assigned within the application (and I noticed that the inbound is ALL shared when using VSPE, same inbound info is sent to all inbound devices, including FDM-SW2 RX devices (saw the data coming inbound on COM port)
--- but here's the kicker ---
  • I noticed that if you change the frequency of any RX channel (like RX1, RX2, RX3, or RX4) from FDM-SW2 app by sliding the bar, it does change the FDM-DUO VFO frequency, but there is no CAT data transmitted from the FDM-SW2 RX COM out port
Which leads me to my hypothesis that the when the slider on FDM-SW2 is moved on any RX, the resulting change in frequency on the radio must not be going over the CAT COM port, right? It must be going over the other USB where the radio/SW2 integration is being done?

Why do I care?  I don't know, I guess it will help me debug if problems surface. I have noticed, that out of the most recent 20 posts that 4 of them (20%) might be avoided (or frustration averted) if we can tackle how the COM ports are configured - and what I mean is the underlying understanding,
not just literal instruction based on situations. As many know, there are many ways to "luck out" with certain settings, only to die because of one reason or the other, and hard to battle back if you don't understand why things are happening.

73, Patrick KM5L