Topics

Help me write this guide to help others please #elad

Antony Watts

One small point

In SW2/SET select Demod Settings, and bring the Filter Start Frequency down to 50Hz so you don’t attenuate the LF end fo WSJT signal bandwidth.

73

Antony
M0IFA

On 21 Sep 2019, at 06:59, Patrick Bouldin <@cottagefarmer> wrote:

<SETUP FDM-DUO to Radio_PC.pdf>

Patrick Bouldin KM5L

Edited

Everyone, I've made some significant corrections to this users guide. The attached pdf file is intended to help me remember, and assist others in configuring the FDM-SW2 software to work with not only the FDM-DUO SDR radio, but also to configure other software at the same time, such as WSJT-X, and FLDIGI. I took a lot of time to ensure the virtual COM ports and virtual audio lines were covered as well. Please review, like Antony did and point out whatever corrections need to be made, or even suggested additional context, etc.

73, Patrick KM5L

la1rq@...

Hi Patrick,

In the recent current release of WSJT-X one can already select Elad FDM-DUO as radio, It works more stable than TS-480..

Why so you suggest to use TS-480 instead?

73 de
LA1RQ
Espen

Neil Smith G4DBN

Correct. Any programs using the latest version of Hamlib will have the excellent (and bug-free) FDM-DUO driver.  Some of the non-Hamlib software has a non-buggy TS480 driver (Fldigi for example) but anything using Hamlib should run the FDM-DUO rig type.  If your program uses Hamlib and has notg yet been updated to use the current version, raise hell with the program author!

The fault with the TS480 driver is a race condition where a real TS480 doesn't have an issue with out of sequence replies, even though they are not specified in the CAT schema for the 480.  As a result, if two rapid commands are issued, the DUO can send back the first one asynchronously, so the software library gets stuck waiting for an answer that it has already been sent, but ignored as it isn't running a state machine.  It works (by luck) with a real TS480 because of implementation-specific timing of the responses.

If you use the TS-480 Hamlib (even on the new version), you *MUST* use serial port RTS for PTT.  When using the updated Hamlib in WSJT-X 2.x, you can use serial port PTT *or* CAT PTT, both work fine.

Neil G4DBN

On 23/09/2019 14:52, la1rq via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Patrick,

In the recent current release of WSJT-X one can already select Elad FDM-DUO as radio, It works more stable than TS-480..

Why so you suggest to use TS-480 instead?

73 de
LA1RQ
Espen

Patrick Bouldin KM5L

Hi Espen, thank you kindly for that update, I was not aware of it. I've made the change and added you to the credits. :)

Thanks again and 73!
Patrick

Patrick Bouldin KM5L

Latest updates and credits attached below, keep 'em coming!
73,
Patrick KM5L