Scary prices

Neil Coley <coleyneil1@...>

Some real shocking prices in the used duo market at the moment

500 -550 gbp in UK

Great if you're buying

Appalling if you've just bought or selling

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019, 18:28 Raimund, <raimund.forstmeier@...> wrote:
Hi Otso,
i'm answering to your 2. Post-Message

1.) The files created with my new Procedure is only creating and reading *.wav files.

2.) I started programming the Audio-Recorder in addition to the RadioFrequency programs.
The SW2 recorder is then not necessary anymore.

3.) It is including all main-features you need.
- Recording and Replay the actual frequency audio. Can be opened with a "ShortCut" that is quite useful.
- Volume regulation
- Timer with Frequency - Start Time and possible StopTime
- Recorded Files have a prefix and a number. It is possible to set a name instead of the automatic numbering.
- The Memory List-database in including Frequency, name, size, Mode (FM, AM ecc..), S-Meter signal and duration.
- some other features

I tested several functions with the SW2 using a Virtual audio Line and also the Audio from a separated Radio like the Icom. Registering and Replay is perfect.

Anyhow, i would like to address anyone to my previous Post.
""""""""""
As i'm not using the SW2 Recorder i'm asking if there is a:
- general interest x completing that is not done just in one day.
- user in EU that is willing to do the necessary tests with me. (what is working here maybe not working there without tests)
"""""""""

No one has answered.
I believe there is less interest as i thought.

Raimund
.

antennacrafter

That's been more of a trend for the Duo, and not so much of an "blip", I'm afraid. It's one reason I've held off purchasing another one.

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019, 4:12 AM Neil Coley <coleyneil1@...> wrote:
[...]

The other thing is that you can purchase a 100 watt rig, with antenna tuner, and built in band/waterfall scope new for less than a Duo.  Sure the Duo has some advantages, but to most they do not outweigh the cost differential.  Big established Japanese name with loads of sales and technical support, versus a relatively unknown name with little to no sales and service support, at least here in North America. IMHO

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019, 7:40 AM antennacrafter via Groups.Io <leschyna=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks antennacrafter

I've got the duo and duo r and I was seriously thinking of another to compliment the line up. A little unnecessary and flamboyant maybe but seeing a used duo in a main uk retailer at 550gbp certainly changed my mind. They must be bought that for about 350!!!!   Christ!!!

It seems we have the Alfa Romeo of the radio world....

Stylish looks, niche market, a few idiosyncrasies, too risky for the main stream liberal classes  and garbage resale values.

Strange that....my wife has a AR Guilietta on the driveway!!

I sold a 991a and 7300 to get the Elads but kicking myself commercially now.

I suppose my post was a knee jerk reaction to current pricing but it's good to hear I'm not alone  in my disappointment and thanks again for your comments

My crowd funding page will be live later today in an attempt to recover ridiculous depreciation and to ensure by kids are fed

Ps   I just got the ts480....100 watts with atu and a guaranteed resale value.

Sorry for turning my back on you icom and yaesu. I'll be back as soon as my bankruptcy is dealt with

Thanks again

Neil with Italian negative equity

On Sat, 23 Mar 2019, 11:59 antennacrafter, <leschyna@...> wrote:
[...]

Neil Smith G4DBN

Can't say I've ever bought a radio with the idea of *selling* it later, but then I feel the same way about cars. I buy them to use, and keep them until they fall to bits.  Japanese radios must be one of the only bits of tech that have any resale value after a few years.

Neil G4DBN

Paul Jones

Bob,

I have to disagree about the sales and support in the USA, Since I’ve taken over, every support ticket has been answered, and I can’t keep the radios in stock, do you know how many we’ve sold or how many support tickets have come in. Do you see how many emails I get.

You are entitled to your opinion, but in this case it is not true. You said I didn’t answer your emails, when I did and I have copies here that I sent you. I know you want a silver speaker, it was requested but it’s not a stocked item, so that is why it is taking time, the silver radios aren’t made any more, so the silver speaker is a one off custom build just for you!

If the people selling their radios for 500-550gbp then that is the sellers issue with accepting such a low price.

EladUSA is doing well, and sales are good, yes we are not one of the big three, but their prices are dropping too, I bought a Yaesu FTdx3000 for 2400, now you can get one brand new for 1400, but the second hand market resale value is led buy the seller and the price they will accept.

Have a Radiolutionary Day!
Paul

--

Paul Jones - Elad USA Sales & Technical Support (USA)
emailsigfile

Visit http://www.eladit.com for the full range of Elad Products or USA Sales : https://shop.elad-usa.com/

Email Support Group - https://groups.io/g/EladSDR

Sales Phone: 312.320.8160

Support Email: support@... Sales Email: sales@...
Personal Email: Paul@...

[...]

Klaus Brosche, DK3QN <klaus.brosche@...>

I would like to second what Paul has written.

Tese days, I can get a second hand TS-590S for 690 to 790 Euros any time.

During its production lifecycle the price for a new 590S was between 1700 and 1800 Euros.

At least here in DL-Land, including 19% VAT.

Klaus, DK3QN

Neil Coley <coleyneil1@...>

Didn't mean to cause problems with my post, I was just having a moan.

I'm not sure about service and support in the UK, I've never needed it but I assume it exists and it's very efficient

For the record, I have no intention  of selling my Elads

For one, I can't afford to and secondly and more seriously, they are great radios in every respect

Keep up the good work Elad and all the folks on this group

Regards

Neil

On Sat, 23 Mar 2019, 13:29 Paul Jones, <support@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul,

You are doing a great Job... Please know that my comment wasn't directed at you at all. I just meant that the Japanese rigs are available from, and supported by many independent sources, and that wasn't meant to imply you are not adding tremendous value, cause you are.

I was just replying to the comment posted... And it is true, most people don't care about the added "unique" features of the Duo, and would rather purchase an IC7300 with tuner, 100 watts, and band scope for a $100 less than a DUO, and I get that.

I have been a supporter of Elad from day one... I have had 4 Duo rigs, 3 FDM2 receivers, plus filters accessories etc.   I love ELAD rigs... All my purchases where new except for one Duo that was used, mint in the box that cost me $600...

That is all I am suggesting... It is a great radio, but to the masses, they may not see it that way.

73
Bob

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 9:29 AM Paul Jones <support@...> wrote:

[...]

The one advantage, is that they are SDR’s and are upgradable more than any conventional radio, look at the improvements that have been made, I’ve been with the company just under a year now and I’ve seen at least 7 upgrades to the firmware with some major improvements, and now with DIKE in the works, I thing the TS480S is still they same as the day it was originally designed….

Have a Radiolutionary Day!
Paul

[...]

Once again, my intention was not to spark a row Paul.

I was simply alarmed by the resale values and was venting accordingly

I suppose I'm used to seeing the japanese appliance radios hold an element of value

My Elads are keepers for the reasons you state Paul and ...

The 480 is very likely as it was when first conceived in late 2000's.

Have a radiolutionary weekend

I'm off to work a second job to cover the depreciation :-)

regards

On Sat, 23 Mar 2019, 13:46 Paul Jones, <support@...> wrote:

[...]

W8RMV <W8RMV@...>

I don't own an Elad ...yet (pending order), but my friends who do, extol the communication & service from Paul USA & Elad in general.
Even more important, they all love their Elads.
I see low ball prices on all rigs, not just Elad.  It happens to every OEM.  I had a 7300 & 7610.  Not for me.  I did not like the way Icom incorporated SDR into their rigs and I am a Icom fan (own a 7700).
If you are a flipper, then buy used, if the investment is a big issue to you.  If you are in it for the long haul, I think buying new works well.
We all have free choice in this hobby.  I am happy that Elad is in the business and provides competition to the other OEM's.

73 Bob W8RMV

Neil Smith G4DBN

Yeah, and I'd prefer an Alfa Romeo over an <insert boring mainstream car here> anyway.  If there are some bargains to be had, I might just treat myself to a third one to dedicate to /P operation in my motorhome so I don't have to disconnect one of the main shack radios when I going out wandering.

The other key point about Elad is that you can ask for something and if it is a sensible change to the firmware, it often gets implemented.  Not so easy to get that level of interaction with some other manufacturers.

What would be very nice is if the digital predistortion facility could be used with and external upconverter and UHF/SHF PA so I could take advantage of some of the newer GaN devices which have a P3dB considerably above their P1dB. Using DPD, I could still have an acceptable signal well past the knee of the Pin vs Pout curve.   Kind of ludicrously-specialised niche requirement though!

Neil G4DBN

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 07:03 AM, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:
The other key point about Elad is that you can ask for something and if it is a sensible change to the firmware, it often gets implemented.  Not so easy to get that level of interaction with some other manufacturers.

Exactly, Neil,
still remember the famous 'ALC overshoot' issue with some (if not all) TS-590S transceivers. And what it did to quite a number of amp users :-(
It took Kenwood years (!) until they finally responded, somehow. And only for certain users.

And it was a 'big' topic those days in the Yahoo user group.

Klaus, DK3QN

Paul Jones

Bob I understand and one of my best friends here was in the market for a new rig, I even loaned him one of my Duo’s he loved it, and was really impressed with the radio and its rx capability, but he ended up buying a IC7300, because he liked the waterfall on the radio, he wanted a 3000 originally but couldn’t find one in stock anywhere…

And Neil, no worries, I just didn’t want people to think the USA support was none existent, in fact I just finished a 46min call with a Ussr and TeamViewer session and now he’s up and running and happy as whatever you want to say….

So get on those radios people, get some listening or talking in, mind you the recent solar storm has knocked the bands out bad here yesterday, not sure about today as I haven’t been on yet… like we say at Elad, lets get Radiolutionary…. ahaha

Have a Radiolutionary Day!
Paul

[...]

N2MS

I also never gave a thought about resale value.
I believe the Japanese radios have resale value because the companies are large with commercial divisions hat probably generate most of the profit.
They have been around since the 1950's and still support the Amateur Radio market even after the founder passed away.

Mike N2MS

Can't say I've ever bought a radio with the idea of *selling* it later,
but then I feel the same way about cars. I buy them to use, and keep
them until they fall to bits. Japanese radios must be one of the only
bits of tech that have any resale value after a few years.

Neil G4DBN

Clint Chron

I have noticed a big improvement in Elad support since Paul came on board.  I also like the personalized support that is provided by other Elad staff.

I have had a number of SDR radios and currently have the IC-7300 and the Duo.  The 7300 is a great rig for the price, but I keep coming back to the Duo.  I purchased my first one directly from Elad about 3 years ago.  I then purchased a used unit from Flex Radio on eBay for $650.  I sold the first two units and then purchased my current unit for about $700.  The used price of a Duo, over the past three years has gone from about $900 to the current prices of $650 to $850.  Used ham equipment pricing is all relative – some units hold their value and some do not.  Look at the prices for the Collins S line and Drake TR3/4 transceivers.  In some cases, the used price is about the same as what the equipment sold for new.  I bought a new Drake TR-3 with AC power supply/speaker for $600 back in 1963.  That would be about $3000 in today’s dollars.  World of difference in performance between a 50 year old transceiver and the Duo.

I sometimes fret over the declining values of the Duo, then I think about what I spend in other areas on a regular basis - $600 to get a starter replaced on my Honda Accord, $400 for a new set of tires, $800 to get my propane tank filled twice during the winter, $600 for food in one month, $100 for four of us to eat out at Black Angus.   So spending $1100 for a new Duo is pretty trivial when compared what I spend in other areas J.

73

Clint

W7KEC